Newbie asking for Camera Recommandations

Status
Not open for further replies.

seantong

Mar 2, 2006
Hi Guys,
I've been out of photography for quite awhile and i've not been keeping tact with the current technology. I've own a Nikkon FM10 and F601 previously. But have since sold the units for oversea studies.

Anyway, for a head start.. I really hope i can get some insider reviews and recommandations from you pros here.

I am intending to get 2 cameras. 1 Ultra slim .. example: Panasonic FX9, Casio Z850
and another DSLR...
I am very particular with Colour capture and reproduction. Can't heck those cams with "off" factory white balance settings and unnatural colour capture.

I hope the pros will reply with recommandtions. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Sean Tong

The 350D has a very good Auto White Balance setting. Under most situations, I have no problems setting it on AWB and it gives me good colour reproduction. Used my friend's D70s and the AWB under artificial lighting isn't that good... everything turned out yellowish. Both cams have their pros and cons, but on the subject of AWB, the 350D performs better in my opinion.

philliptan said:
The 350D has a very good Auto White Balance setting. Under most situations, I have no problems setting it on AWB and it gives me good colour reproduction. Used my friend's D70s and the AWB under artificial lighting isn't that good... everything turned out yellowish. Both cams have their pros and cons, but on the subject of AWB, the 350D performs better in my opinion.

Agree...:thumbsup: for 350D.

Please check
http://dpreview.com/
on their WB or photo sample review on the model you interested.
Most camera can't handle yellowish/warm/tunsten light well, even DSLR. Only a few Pro DSLR can handle it better. One solution is to shoot RAW then correct the WB later.

seantong said:
Hi Guys,
I've been out of photography for quite awhile and i've not been keeping tact with the current technology. I've own a Nikkon FM10 and F601 previously. But have since sold the units for oversea studies.

Anyway, for a head start.. I really hope i can get some insider reviews and recommandations from you pros here.

I am intending to get 2 cameras. 1 Ultra slim .. example: Panasonic FX9, Casio Z850
and another DSLR...
I am very particular with Colour capture and reproduction. Can't heck those cams with "off" factory white balance settings and unnatural colour capture.

I hope the pros will reply with recommandtions. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Sean Tong

For ultra slims, the FX9 is not bad. You may want to consider Sony's T9 as well.

If you have a bit more cash to spend, the 20D will be a gd choice too for DSLRs, else the 350D is enough.

Snoweagle said:
For ultra slims, the FX9 is not bad. You may want to consider Sony's T9 as well.

If you have a bit more cash to spend, the 20D will be a gd choice too for DSLRs, else the 350D is enough.

Hi, Thankyou for the fast respond. Any idea how much does the 350D cost in SGD ?
My friend recently got the FX9.. took some pictures from the Aerospace.. Very disappointing pictures. Came back and totally lose out to an old Olympus 3 megapix. Image is not sharp, colour tend to grey tones, making the picture really dull. Even an Old Canon Ixus did a better job that the FX9... Any ideas why this happens? If you want the pictures, i can send you the photos to compare.

zcf said:
Please check
http://dpreview.com/
on their WB or photo sample review on the model you interested.
Most camera can't handle yellowish/warm/tunsten light well, even DSLR. Only a few Pro DSLR can handle it better. One solution is to shoot RAW then correct the WB later.

Yah. i've checked dpreview on their reviews. But i wanna hear other opionions from users. I'm aware that shooting RAW will definitely give better WB. But the last thing i want is to correct every single shoot in photoshop before sending to print.
But, thanks for your help though.

seantong said:
Hi, Thankyou for the fast respond. Any idea how much does the 350D cost in SGD ?
My friend recently got the FX9.. took some pictures from the Aerospace.. Very disappointing pictures. Came back and totally lose out to an old Olympus 3 megapix. Image is not sharp, colour tend to grey tones, making the picture really dull. Even an Old Canon Ixus did a better job that the FX9... Any ideas why this happens? If you want the pictures, i can send you the photos to compare.

Well thanks seantong. The EOS 350D should retail for around $1500 with a kit lens. In digital photography, sometimes u really have to fiddle around with the settings, including white balance and ISOs. The image processor is also impt to give u the final image.

Status
Not open for further replies.