Newbie asking abt lens

kelchew

Feb 25, 2011
bedok
I am using canon 450d
Thinking of getting a extra lens
Going for sigma or tamron lens

Can I know I which kind of model should I look into?

I am using canon 450d
Thinking of getting a extra lens
Going for sigma or tamron lens

Can I know I which kind of model should I look into?

You should know what lens you need. If you need to ask this question then you don't need to buy any, just stick with the kit lens until you know what you really need.

You should know what lens you need. If you need to ask this question then you don't need to buy any, just stick with the kit lens until you know what you really need.

Looking at 18-200 lens

Need to ask can all the lens fit into my cam?

Looking at 18-200 lens

Need to ask can all the lens fit into my cam?

If you need the extra range is guess its ok but do you really need it? For all lenses, just get the Canon mount and no problem

If you need the extra range is guess its ok but do you really need it? For all lenses, just get the Canon mount and no problem

So most of the lens I can use them? Just need to make sure it canon mount

Oh ya the other things is do the lens come in IS?
Which is the indicator for IS lens?

Canon - IS
Nikon - VR
Sigma - OS
Tamron - VC
Tokina - none of their lenses have IS so far.

Note that lenses that don't have IS have one less component to fail. IS/VR also drains more power from your camera (as compared to non-IS lenses), so do take note of that - if you don't need IS, don't buy a lens with IS.

Last edited:
Canon - IS
Nikon - VR
Sigma - OS
Tamron - VC
Tokina - none of their lenses have IS so far.

Note that lenses that don't have IS have one less component to fail. IS/VR also drains more power from your camera, so do take note of that.

Oh thanks this at last I can see the different of the lens
18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS
18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC
18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC (Motorized)
Can I know the above sigma lens dc stand for?
Know I know os for (IS)

Oh thanks this at last I can see the different of the lens
18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS
18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC
18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC (Motorized)
Can I know the above sigma lens dc stand for?
Know I know os for (IS)

DC means the lens is designed for a crop sensor. Canon calls it APS-C (1.6x crop), and the other brands call it DX (1.5x crop). DG means the lens is designed for a full frame sensor. Canon 450D has a crop sensor, so it can use both DC (crop) and DG (full frame) lenses.

DC means the lens is designed for a crop sensor. Canon calls it APS-C (1.6x crop), and the other brands call it DX (1.5x crop). DG means the lens is designed for a full frame sensor. Canon 450D has a crop sensor, so it can use both DC (crop) and DG (full frame) lenses.

Thanks so much now I can go to shop and ask the price.

Yeah actually all lens can be use as long it is a Canon mount. No matter it is a EF or EF-S.
Your 450D is a APS-C type thus the camera mounting can fit both EF & EF-S lens. And Sigma will be DG & DC lens. Tamron will be Di & Di II lens.
But do take note for Canon EF, Sigma DG & Tamron Di lens. Although you can fit but the image will appear 1.6x larger due to your APS-C sensor.
As for FF (Full Frame) body like 5D to 1D they can't use APS-C lens like EF-S, DC or Di II. They only can use EF, DG & Di lens.

All the lens maker have their own terms of image stabilize to minimize blur images when camera is shaking.
For Canon IS = Image Stabilizer, Sigma OS = Optical Stabilizer & Tamron VC = Vibration Compensation.
Hope all this info will help you understand more.

Yeah actually all lens can be use as long it is a Canon mount. No matter it is a EF or EF-S.
Your 450D is a APS-C type thus the camera mounting can fit both EF & EF-S lens. And Sigma will be DG & DC lens. Tamron will be Di & Di II lens.
But do take note for Canon EF, Sigma DG & Tamron Di lens. Although you can fit but the image will appear 1.6x larger due to your APS-C sensor.
As for FF (Full Frame) body like 5D to 1D they can't use APS-C lens like EF-S, DC or Di II. They only can use EF, DG & Di lens.

All the lens maker have their own terms of image stabilize to minimize blur images when camera is shaking.
For Canon IS = Image Stabilizer, Sigma OS = Optical Stabilizer & Tamron VC = Vibration Compensation.

Since the TS has not used a FF camera before, the crop factor doesn't really matter to him, it will just appear as he usually sees it. Mounting a FX lens on his camera does not make the image 1.6X bigger, it will be the same as DX, so as not to confuse the TS

Last edited:

Just to clarify, any lens that is attached to a crop sensor body will produce an image "1.6x larger". Lenses made for crop sensors just have smaller image circles, and lenses made for full frame or 35mm film cameras have larger image circles.

Just to clarify that an EF lens @ 20mm (for example) and an EF-S lens @ 20mm, both mounted to the same APS-C camera (eg Canon 450D) will give the same field of view.
No such thing as mounting EF lens, image will be 1.6X larger...

Tks understand it now.