newbie asking abt lens hood

kelchew

Feb 25, 2011
bedok
i got a canon lens hood for lens 17-85
after fixing in the len hood i can see the side of the hood when taking a pic..
is it normal?
or m i fixing the hood wrongly?

is it normal?

incorrect hood?
Is it the one that came with the lens?

is it normal?

No it should not show up in your pictures, did you get the correct hood? there are many models.

Hmm as far as i know, Canon lens don't come with lens hood, unlike the Nikon ones.

oh i see... that's news to me :)
TS may have gotten one that's for the same diameter lens, but maybe a telephoto lens.

No it should not show up in your pictures, did you get the correct hood? there are many models.

cos i didnt get the it from canon.. the size should be right..

For the lens , you should be using a petal hood, hmm for the exact specs, look up the lens at the Canon website and buy the hood according to the model number given.

no i got the lens hood seperatly (non original)

correct thread size only indicate you can mount this lens hood on to this lens, does not imply it is a correct hood for this lens, you need to be certain to get that the lens hood is design for your lens, not by the filter thread size.

correct thread size only indicate you can mount this lens hood on to this lens, does not imply it is a correct hood for this lens, you need to be certain to get that the lens hood is design for your lens, not by the filter thread size.

i see.. :bigeyes::bigeyes: oh no i might have got the wrong hood...

should not get a 3rd party hood.. haiz

No problem wioth 3rd party hood. The issue was your lack of knowledge of what hood is appropriate for your lens.

what if u have gotten the right hood but juz that u didnt mount the hood properly.... did u align the dots on d hood n lens right?

what if u have gotten the right hood but juz that u didnt mount the hood properly.... did u align the dots on d hood n lens right?

i didnt see any dot on the hood.. i going to try again.. and see it it jus the alignment..

i didnt see any dot on the hood.. i going to try again.. and see it it jus the alignment..

it shouldn be the alignment, most lens hood should only have one 'correct' orientation. If you got it wrong you won't even be able to attach the lens hood on. Most likely scenario is that you got a hood not suitable for your lens.

Take it as lesson learned, you can always sell off at B&S and lose a few bucks, or keep til you got a lens thats suitable for that type of hood.

PS. Just my own opinion, best get one of your friend's who knows Canon to double-check. Or can post a photo of the hood here sure got some friendly senior can clarify for you :)

Safest is buy original Canon lens hood. If not for 3rd party hood it is best to bring along your camera and lens to try out the lens hood before buying. Do you still have the receipt? Maybe can try to change from the shop you bought it.

Safest is buy original Canon lens hood. If not for 3rd party hood it is best to bring along your camera and lens to try out the lens hood before buying. Do you still have the receipt? Maybe can try to change from the shop you bought it.

No need to bring your lens if you know the model number of your hood, the 3rd party ones go by the original Canon number as well.

3rd party lens hood compared to original, is much cheaper. As long as u got the correct hood for the lens, it doesn't matter original or 3rd party. For me, hood is more for protection. If u got the wrong one, u can try go back the shop for an exchange.