Newbie 1st Try on Racing Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer_Jay

Jul 5, 2006
Pasir Ris
Hello,

Took this on Saturday at the Caltex Karting Challenge. Equpment use is Canon S3 IS. ISO80, 1/160 sec, f7.1, focal lenth at 11.1mm. Hot & bright sunny Saturday, about 2pm.

1505200642_63c553ee69_o.jpg

Did I crop it too tight? I tried to maintain the 800x600 ratio....

I know that the marshal on the top is a little distracting but if I crop it lower, then the yellow barricade will be more distracting......

I know that the helmet and the sleeve is a little over exposed. Tried to PS the over exposed but it will affect the rest of the photo especially inside the helmet.....

May I ask how or what setting should I use to minimise the over exposed?

I also hereby sincerely seeking the experts opinion to make it a better photo in every aspect.

Thank you in advance.

Jay the Newbie

PS - rest of the photos are here http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=317096

You really should have shot at faster than 1/160s. Didn't you switch your cam to sports mode?? It's a good attempt, but too out of focus.

NEC red integra Killer jay? Just saw u n xiong at hups that day...:D didnt know u into phtography. Anyway, i prefer to shoot panning shots at lower shutter speeds. more specifically at 1/80 as the bg would be blurrer and speedier. For the over exposure, it depends on the lighting so i would adjust the aperture to match the lighting. And usually i focus on the road that the car will pass on before panning the car and shooting it at the point of the road i focused on. Havent really tried cornering shots yet..

Kind regards,
Kai
Exanimated aka blutrance

Hello,

Took this on Saturday at the Caltex Karting Challenge. Equpment use is Canon S3 IS. ISO80, 1/160 sec, f7.1, focal lenth at 11.1mm. Hot & bright sunny Saturday, about 2pm.

1505200642_63c553ee69_o.jpg

Did I crop it too tight? I tried to maintain the 800x600 ratio....

I know that the marshal on the top is a little distracting but if I crop it lower, then the yellow barricade will be more distracting......

I know that the helmet and the sleeve is a little over exposed. Tried to PS the over exposed but it will affect the rest of the photo especially inside the helmet.....

May I ask how or what setting should I use to minimise the over exposed?

I also hereby sincerely seeking the experts opinion to make it a better photo in every aspect.

Thank you in advance.

Jay the Newbie

PS - rest of the photos are here http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=317096

You really should have shot at faster than 1/160s. Didn't you switch your cam to sports mode?? It's a good attempt, but too out of focus.

bro rashkae,

i prefer to have slower speed b'cos i want to have the moving background & foreground feeling.

nope, i din switch on the sport mode cos if i switch it on, then it will be on high ISO which will be very noisy. and the background and foreground wont have the moving feeling.

yes, i admit it is OOF, will try harder next time.

thank you. :)

jay the newbie

NEC red integra Killer jay? Just saw u n xiong at hups that day...:D didnt know u into phtography. Anyway, i prefer to shoot panning shots at lower shutter speeds. more specifically at 1/80 as the bg would be blurrer and speedier. For the over exposure, it depends on the lighting so i would adjust the aperture to match the lighting. And usually i focus on the road that the car will pass on before panning the car and shooting it at the point of the road i focused on. Havent really tried cornering shots yet..

Kind regards,
Kai
Exanimated aka blutrance

bro kai,

yes, i am from NEC driving the red Integra..... who are u huh? i only remember a WRX at ah hub there that day....... if i'm not wrong, i think i saw ur name on a Beamer tat always go ah hub there......

anyway, thank you for your comments. but hor, brother, mine is only S3 IS leh. i wanted to have slower speed but my smallest aperture is only f8.0 nia leh. :cry:

it was a very bright sunny Saturday, the sun was harsh. i tried 1/100 with f8.0, lowest ISO liao. still over exposed until like nobody business........

ok, i will try ur method of focusing the next time if there is a similar event. maybe some trakies track day at Sepang. :D

jay the killer

If thats the case, i think its a case of really bo bian. But for S3 i think there is a filter adaptor where u can attach on and add ND filters to make it darker, so u can lower the shutter speed.

off topic: No lar.. im not so attas one drive beamer. LoL! i'm the young guy who needed u to shift for me to reverse out. The black sunny b13. NEC bros call me desmond. :)

If thats the case, i think its a case of really bo bian. But for S3 i think there is a filter adaptor where u can attach on and add ND filters to make it darker, so u can lower the shutter speed.

off topic: No lar.. im not so attas one drive beamer. LoL! i'm the young guy who needed u to shift for me to reverse out. The black sunny b13. NEC bros call me desmond. :)

bro,

S3 can set the exposue to -2 or +2 (2 steps lower or higher), will this have the same effect of having a ND filter?

thank you in advance.

OT: sorry bro, cant really remember. and speaking of tat, it beens some time i join NEC bros liao. ;p

jay the newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.