Newbee speedlight question

Status
Not open for further replies.

forward6666

Aug 13, 2009
hi everyone,

quick question. im using nikon D5000 and planing to get sb600 this weekend.
if i understand correctly my built in flash acts as trigger for the sb600? so everytime i shoot and wanna use sb600 my built in flash has to be open yea? theres no cable or anything else physicaly connecting the flash to the body right? so basically meaning its wireless so i can even take my sb600 off the camere and hold it in my hand? or not?

also another thing is i read lots of reviews comparing sb600 and sb800... and the most notable one kenrockwell review saying that he would choose the sb600 anyday coz its small, and cheaper and has got all the main features anyone would care about same as sb800. And the additional stuff that sb 800 has but sb600 doesnt is just alright and not that great. but he did mention that the biggest loss for sb600 comparing to sb800 is absense of built in bounce card (which to be honest i dont really know what exactly it is)...
but i read that u can compensate it with lumiquest bouncer or nice flash soft box which is even better.

so thats basically what im planning to do get the sb600 and later get a decent not too big but not too small soft box for the flash... which will ditribute the light more natural and even.

does it sounds like good plan? or any of you suggest anything else? or any other big reason to go with sb800?

any comments will be appreciated. thanks

Hmmm... I don't know if the D5000 can act as the commander. From what I can see:

Creative Lighting System

• Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with SB-900, SB-800, or SU-800 as commander and SB-900, SB-800, SB-600, or SB-R200 as remotes

So you'd need a SB-900, SB-800, or SU-800 as commander.

I could be wrong of course.

I don't think it can act as a wireless commander. Only the built in flashes of higher end models like D300, D300s and D700 can serve as a wireless commander.

hi everyone,

quick question. im using nikon D5000 and planing to get sb600 this weekend.
if i understand correctly my built in flash acts as trigger for the sb600? so everytime i shoot and wanna use sb600 my built in flash has to be open yea? theres no cable or anything else physicaly connecting the flash to the body right? so basically meaning its wireless so i can even take my sb600 off the camere and hold it in my hand? or not?

also another thing is i read lots of reviews comparing sb600 and sb800... and the most notable one kenrockwell review saying that he would choose the sb600 anyday coz its small, and cheaper and has got all the main features anyone would care about same as sb800. And the additional stuff that sb 800 has but sb600 doesnt is just alright and not that great. but he did mention that the biggest loss for sb600 comparing to sb800 is absense of built in bounce card (which to be honest i dont really know what exactly it is)...
but i read that u can compensate it with lumiquest bouncer or nice flash soft box which is even better.

so thats basically what im planning to do get the sb600 and later get a decent not too big but not too small soft box for the flash... which will ditribute the light more natural and even.

does it sounds like good plan? or any of you suggest anything else? or any other big reason to go with sb800?

any comments will be appreciated. thanks

SB600 CANNOT be triggered wirelessly by the D5000 body, simply with the in-built flash acting as a commander.
The d5000 does not have commander mode for the pop-up.
Only D70, D80, D90, D200, D300, D700 (i hope I haven't missed anything) has commander mode.

The main advantages of SB800 over SB600:

1) greater flash power
2) wireless functionality
- more channels/groups
- can be wireless commander or slave

I don't commonly see someone with D3000/D40/D60 (entry-model) pairing it with SB800/900 and SB600 for wireless functionality :)
That's probably why Ken Rockwell said that there's not much difference.

as for bounce card, I DIY-ed some white cardboard and stuffed it into the sleeve of my SB600 pouch, together with 2 rubber bands. Works fine! :)

Last edited:
SB600 CANNOT be triggered wirelessly by the D5000 body, simply with the in-built flash acting as a commander.
The d5000 does not have commander mode for the pop-up.
Only D70, D80, D90, D200, D300, D700 (i hope I haven't missed anything) has commander mode.

Reason enough for TS to get the SB800/900 over SB600 for his purpose.

guys so can i just confirm here, if i get sb600 theres a wire connecting it to the body? meaning its not wireless?
but sb800 can be wireless on my D5000 body? is that right?

guys... or how about if i just go for nissin Di866... i read its a good lens as well....??? will that be wireless.

guys... or how about if i just go for nissin Di866... i read its a good lens as well....??? will that be wireless.

A wireless lens? Wow.. :bigeyes: Never found any wire attached to my lenses, guess most lenses will be wireless then :bsmilie:
Please read again what all the other people mentioned: the D5000 does NOT come with the wireless flash commander function. Therefore, you can
a) attach the flash to the hotshoe
b) use a flash cord for offshoe flash (limited to cord length)
c) use third party wireless triggers (requires manual flash control, the trigger only gives the kick) for more reach
d) get sb800, mount to your hotshoe (will act as commander). Get sb600 and use as slave with wireless triggering from sb800. (See Rashkae's post.)

ok now i understand thanks man... ok then another questions... what should i go for?
sb600 or nissin Di866?

Personally i would prefer original brand, 100% it will work well with your camera brand.:) just my own opinion.

ok now i understand thanks man... ok then another questions... what should i go for?
sb600 or nissin Di866?

sb600 or nissin Di866?

Their price is almost the same if I am not mistaken... if you are afraid of problems, get sb 600... Nissin has a good specs, but how good 3rd party flash, only their manufacturer flash that is fully compatible. But again ask yourself, will you buy more than 1 flash in the future.

A wireless lens? Wow.. :bigeyes: Never found any wire attached to my lenses, guess most lenses will be wireless then :bsmilie:
Please read again what all the other people mentioned: the D5000 does NOT come with the wireless flash commander function. Therefore, you can
a) attach the flash to the hotshoe
b) use a flash cord for offshoe flash (limited to cord length)
c) use third party wireless triggers (requires manual flash control, the trigger only gives the kick) for more reach
d) get sb800, mount to your hotshoe (will act as commander). Get sb600 and use as slave with wireless triggering from sb800. (See Rashkae's post.)

If you are planning to use a decent softbox (or shootthru umbrella) for your flash, I will assume power will be a factor... so I would recommend SB800.

Having said that, I will also recommend (c) third party trigger.

I have tried using SB800 to be triggered by the camera flash but one problem was that when your umbrella/softbox is positioned so that the camera-flash does not reach the SB800, it does not trigger (one example is when you are between the flash and the subject).

I have also tried flash cord SB29... and while your eyes are on the camera and you are positioning yourself in and out, big chance the flash and softbox and tripod will come crashing down.

I'm not really sure if SB600 can act as an Auto Slave. If it can, then you can use it wirelessly too, in a sense.

Otherwise, you can always get a radio trigger. That's still wireless. The only thing is you have to rely on the SB600's auto mode, or manually adjust the power on the Speedlight.

so nobody is still advising me whether i should go for new sb600 or nissin Di866? im not really considering 2nd hand sb800 coz i want something new...
so my budget lets me buy either new sb600 or Di866? anyone out there using Di866? any feedback?

so nobody is still advising me whether i should go for new sb600 or nissin Di866? im not really considering 2nd hand sb800 coz i want something new...
so my budget lets me buy either new sb600 or Di866? anyone out there using Di866? any feedback?

For your first flash, go for Nikon SB600. :)

As time go by when you need more flash to use as slave, then you might want to consider cheaper brand.

thanks man i will take that advise...
whats the cheapest retails price now for sb600? anyone bought lately?
i know theres price thread so people dont point me there... just wanna know if someone bought recently if yes for how much?

Some people just refuse to read up on their own. :dunno:

Some people just refuse to read up on their own. :dunno:
I also dont read the priceguides often other then reference for street pricing...one of the good points of having friends who work in the distribution line. Can simply buy direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.