Newbe alert!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargle

Mar 20, 2009
SG
Hello everyone - just been checking out the classifieds for the last couple of weeks, and now i see a message that maybe putting up a hello might be a good idea:)

Anyhow, i am new to photography and have just acquired:

D300
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikkon 17-55mm F3.x - 5.x VR

Looking for a nice wide angle, and better walk around in due course, but for now snapping away at everything and learning more about the camera, and phtography in general.

Should have started a long time ago!
Any comments/advice - please feel free and happy to receive it.

gargle

Hi darksider, welcome to CS! ;)

hello and welcome to this big family.
shoot more and post more.

regarding a walkabout lens. i think nikkor 18-200mm VR will be good.
for UWA i heard tokina 11-16mm f2.8 produces sharp and good quality photos.
(anyway this are just my suggestions, always read up more and find out more before getting anything.)

see you around.
:D

Hi! Welcome to CS!!! :D

Hi Gargle,

your 17-55 should be more than sufficient for street. :)

Welcome to CS.. good to hear u had start shooting non-stop fro practice ;)

I scratch my head in disbelief when I saw u mentioned u had a Nikkon 17-55mm F3.x - 5.x VR
Nikon never come out a 17-55 F3.x-5.x w/ VR before but I did owned a 17-55 F2.8 before;p

I think u shld be referring to 18-55 F3.x-5.x w/ VR instead..

Thanks everyone for the greetings and advice.

Over the last couple of weeks, i have begun to use my simple portrait lens more and more. i took the camera for a trip to the UK and that was when i used the walk-about lens.

Yes you are right - silly me! Its an 18-55 lens that i have, and YES i really want a 17-55mm F2.8 lens, but a bit on the expensive side. Everyone tells me that its a one-time purchase, and will carry me through for a long time...

Still i seem to be leaning towards portrait lens - i just love the bokeh. Sometimes i think i'm addicted to it :)

This is a really great forum. Look forward to spend many years participating and "acquiring" more gear :)

See you all around the forum!

thanks man - i am in fact looking for a tokina option. It seems the most viable choice at this time. Someone told me recently that i should definitely target in the ones that are in the low tens - i.e. 11mm. Anything like the 20mm or 24mm is not as exciting for architecture. Is this true?

I also heard that using a wide angle for closeup shots is quite good. Any comments to help me decide?

Last edited:
Welcome to CS family! :)

just had a weekend of fun with a sigma wide angle lens. I loved it!
Will definitely get one of these very versatile lenses!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.