New Zealand, South Island, Polar Blast ...attire

sliverclidge

Jan 23, 2010
TPY, Singapore
Brr....

My first trip to New Zealand (South Island), will be departing this Friday. Have been planning this trip for ages, and of all time, there have to be a polar blast... super sienz. Anyways, hope the sky will brighten up this week end.

By the way, would like to check on winter clothing. Since the weather now is hanging +- freezing temperature, any advise on clothing? My current attire plan is, 1 long sleeve t-shirt, 1 shirt, 1 wool sweater and a jacket (lightly padded) + waterproof. Is this sufficient? Or i have to get those super thick skiing type with animal-fur-overflowing-from-every-corner jacket? Also, on the pants, just jeans, 1.5 layer (+ underwear :)), is this enuff?

Also, i read somewhere, to keep the camera batteries somewhere warm, does this really help?

Keeping fingers cross on the weather!!

thought the polar blast in on North island? I going there next month.....

oic..hopefully all blow off soon. :)

By the way, regarding your winter clothing, I think it depends on ones' endurance to cold. For me, I think it should be sufficient. You can also wear soccer socks so that it cover more of your leg as well.

And yes, batteries tend to deplete faster when in the cold. So best to keep your camera when you are not using and keep spare batts in your bag aswell..

One advice though

I went there last year. Temp was only -2 but it was enough to make us shiver. If you are going to be outdoor often and expose to rain / snow (probably hiking), its better do not wear jeans.

It was quite hard to dry up once its wet. And it will be nightmare if you keep having your jeans wet :)

Just my 0.02

I went in winter last year and it was slightly above freezing. Not too bad. no snow at ground level but with snow capped mountains.

Perfect for me. I though new zealand winter was unexpectedly mild.

What you need is just a good winter jacket. For me that meant zipper to prevent the cold air from entering. With a good jacket, I went around with just jeans and long sleeve shirt inside.

New Zealand winter is not as cold as you might think, usually not lower than zero during the day (not nighttime),
if you are willing to invest on a good jacket, (like Nortface winter waterproof jacket, it enough for your lifetime travel use).
Good jacket is lightweight and more durable than those bloated cotton jacket.

We are used to the local climate, go to the NZ South Island have to remember to bring gloves and lip balm,
also wear slip-resistant and waterproof shoes.

Winter temperatures do not affect the camera batteries operation. However must avoid the camera too quick from
the cold outdoors to warm indoor, it will fog the lens.

Alert not to schedule the too long a trip daly, because the winter sunlight end before 5pm.

Have a memorable holiday!!

Thanks for the posts.

So, can i still wear jeans? I dont think i will be doing much tramping though.

Just wondering, if the temperature are around zero degrees, can ie be mild? Brr...

I only have a battery, but will be bringing charger along, would one fully charge battery be enuff for a full days shooting in winter?

K S Kong said:
New Zealand winter is not as cold as you might think, usually not lower than zero during the day (not nighttime),
if you are willing to invest on a good jacket, (like Nortface winter waterproof jacket, it enough for your lifetime travel use).
Good jacket is lightweight and more durable than those bloated cotton jacket.

We are used to the local climate, go to the NZ South Island have to remember to bring gloves and lip balm,
also wear slip-resistant and waterproof shoes.

Sorry. Did not mean to hijack. But where to find slip resistant shoes? Tried to find these...

Sorry. Did not mean to hijack. But where to find slip resistant shoes? Tried to find these...

Do not misunderstand, I am not advertising for any brand, but you may look at this link: http://www.bestard.com/

Since my 3.5 year old NorthFace boots retired, I am using bestard boots, for past 1 year, it It have been to Alaska,
China's three northeastern provinces, central Australia to Darwin, New Zealand, glaciers, etc., now still very healthy.

never ever wear jeans on cold windy place. especially if jeans is your only layer

Thanks for the posts.

So, can i still wear jeans? I dont think i will be doing much tramping though.

Just wondering, if the temperature are around zero degrees, can ie be mild? Brr...

I only have a battery, but will be bringing charger along, would one fully charge battery be enuff for a full days shooting in winter?

May I suggest putting on long johns (both top and pants) in addition to your normal wear, plus a beanie and neck warmer (if your jacket doesnt cover up to your neck). A pair of gloves would also help.

You can also get disposable hand warmers in pocket size form and stick it in your pocket. They typically lasts 10 hours or longer.

I think Jeans is quite useless for such places.. you will prob need long johns, a good thin layer then something waterproof like winter jacket/pants.. I think it has to be waterproof as you will be a little wet i supposed.

Oh no!! I am only bringing jeans!! Well, i will buy the ling john when i am there. Hehe.

Flight is this evening, hopefully it wont get cancelled..

Will be wearing timberland shoes. Shoild be good enough, no?

@sinned and @kong: thanks a bunch! Will check it out! :)

The ONLY time I wore long johns in my 12 days trip last August was when I took a helicopter ride to some snow field.

For the rest of the time, I think the most impt is the jacket. Thermals very troublesome if you are going indoors and outdoors. Cannot remove easily.

It also depends on whether you are going out early morning or if there is wind.

If you are thinking of catching some sunrise shots then you will probably need long johns. But for normal travelling, jeans is enough. I only brought one pair of long johns.

You can don't buy the thick themal/long johns, there's the thin base layer for skiing use... light and thin and you just need to wear more layers. Remove one or more layers if it gets warm.

Back!!
Great trip!
Great place for photography!!

Din managed to get thermals or long johns. Wore jeans all the way. No issues =)

Agreed, a good water and wind proof jacket and a wool sweater is a must. Temperature was 1 degrees at its lowest at night.

Will be posting up some pics soon..

Tks!