New Zealand Holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

chseah

Aug 28, 2003
Hi everyone, I will be going NZ for holiday in end of the month. Below is the gear that i intend to bring. Is it sufficient ?

350D with Grip
17-40 F4
50 F1.8
2 x 1GB CF
ibook to storage photo

chseah

Aug 28, 2003
Canew said:
chseah, how long will your trip be? Are you on tour?

20 Days on self drive.

poohbear

Aug 11, 2004
Sengkang
chseah said:
20 Days on self drive.
It's around spring for them this time, but temp still can be as low as 5 degrees, if raining. Bring extra one or two batt. Prepare to wake up early and sleep late if you wanna take some dramatic sunrise/sunset. NZ has one of the most clearest sky. If you are going to Milford sound, have ample rest the night before, milford road are a bit tricky if u do not have ample sleep. Btw if u are planning to take some pics of the mirror lake along the road to milford, take it early in the morning where the winds are not strong and you'll have a nice reflection of the mountain.

If you are planning to take the southern scenic route via blacutta, drop by nugget pt( although it's around 40+ km detour from the main road) , breath-taking view from the lighthouse.

poohbear

Aug 11, 2004
Sengkang
also , If you are planning some wildlife penguin/seal at dunedin, a 300mm would be needed. Maybe u wan a 12-24 for the wide ...... result will be stunning ~!

raid

Aug 25, 2003
Choa Chu Kang
Beautiful place.. Went there for my honeymoon a few months ago... Make sure you protect your gear from rain. Weather quite unpredictable.

40mm is the longest you got liao ah? May need more zoom there.

Main problem is that you may run out of storage in ur ibook... everything looks so surreal.. Postcard setting, etc... Really hope you enjoy urself...

chseah said:
Hi everyone, I will be going NZ for holiday in end of the month. Below is the gear that i intend to bring. Is it sufficient ?

350D with Grip
17-40 F4
50 F1.8
2 x 1GB CF
ibook to storage photo

teerex

Mar 10, 2003
Singapore
Beautiful country for landscape shoots. Which part of NZ you going to, North or South Island?

It's summer there now, you'll get plenty of sun, 8pm you still have sunlight in the North. Summer in NZ it seldom rain for more than half an hour, so don't despair if you see rain.

Your 17-40, f/4 should be ideal for landscapes.

Happy Shooting

Jeff

Apr 27, 2002
www.asianhomebiz.com
bring a 70/200 if possible. ur range is too limited. this will add variable perspective n variety to ur images. all wide angle shots can be very boring, considering the fact u gonna spend 20D??.

scud

Jul 28, 2003
Singapore
www.fotolightbox.com
Jeff said:
bring a 70/200 if possible. ur range is too limited. this will add variable perspective n variety to ur images. all wide angle shots can be very boring, considering the fact u gonna spend 20D??.
agree, and what more since u are driving!!

Sep 7, 2005
punggol
chseah said:

350D with Grip
17-40 F4
50 F1.8
2 x 1GB CF
ibook to storage photo
Hi, i'll be there for 17days this coming Jan(Southern island) but first 7days work, self drive too, will be bringing
350d
Sigma 18-200mm
2 x Batt w charger
Polariser
multiple plug converter(for charger)
card reader + Laptop
Tripod

Have a nice trip.......

poohbear

Aug 11, 2004
Sengkang
teerex said:
Beautiful country for landscape shoots. Which part of NZ you going to, North or South Island?

It's summer there now, you'll get plenty of sun, 8pm you still have sunlight in the North. Summer in NZ it seldom rain for more than half an hour, so don't despair if you see rain.

Your 17-40, f/4 should be ideal for landscapes.

Happy Shooting
erm ...now summer meh ? Maybe late spring. Their summer very scary.... all the prices all go up :sweat:

Martin21

Dec 13, 2004
Well,just a note on driving.
U'll come to lots of "passes" which are bridges ,and all of them allows only one way traffic.So just take note if u're hving the right of way(stop well in advance).If not its gonna be tough for anyone on the bridge to reverse thru the narrow path.

As for photography,
Tripod,tripod,tripod!

Hv fun!

teerex

Mar 10, 2003
Singapore
poohbear said:
erm ...now summer meh ? Maybe late spring. Their summer very scary.... all the prices all go up :sweat:
It's end Spring liao, beginning Summer.

jumbocrab

Jun 27, 2004
Remember to bring graduated filters. If you run out of storage, try to locate shops that allow you to burn your pictures on CDs. It is quite commonly found in the bigger cities.

poohbear

Aug 11, 2004
Sengkang
teerex said:
It's end Spring liao, beginning Summer.
Orhh...... accomondation at Queenstown will rocket sky high ~! Well, if you are looking for a budget and comfortable place , Pine tree would be best.

holeinone

Jan 27, 2004
Tampines
Actually best lens for travelling is a 18-200, if you don't want to carry loads of stuff.

Think you will need a tele zoom, if not you will feel quite restricted with just the 17-40 and 50mm.

Rather than bring a laptop, you might as well borrow a portable hardisk that can take CF cards direct... unless you plan to view and sort your pics while you are there.

Voyage

Jun 9, 2005
or to compliment your set that you already has, get the all new 70-300mm IS USM.

Ally

Jul 14, 2004
end of there
Originally planned trip to NZ, but went South Africa instead... and just got back from there last week..
Gear load-out would have been same for both trips tho':

a.300D + kit lens + 3 batts,
b.100-400mm L IS,
c.X2 teleconvertor,
d.28-300mm Tamron (not very sharp but for general-use is OK),
e.CompactDrive to copy out pics,
f.circular polariser, macro(+4) filter,
g.monopod (my kaki brought along light tripod),
h.ziplock bags (to stuff cam in when rain),
i.gloves (optional but hands can get cold when on safari at dawn)

Anyways, enjoy yourself..! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.