New York New York!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jherek

Sep 7, 2002
east
Visit site
hi all,
might be going New York with a friend but high chance i'll be left to myself..will be taking different flights too..
so any advice on where to go n places to see?
(ticket lobang anyone?)

o and i will be there for 3 weeks on a student budget

yes i'll get some lonely planet travel guide but i would like to hear some personal accounts...

Thanks!;)

Time Square, Central Park, Empire State building, Ellis Island where the Statue of Liberty is, SOHO etc. Unfortunately WTC buildings are no more. I was there 5 years ago to attend InternetWorld 98, didn't have a lot of time to tour around and now regret not having went to WTC coz there'll never be a chance again.

If you got time, catch a musical in one of the many theatres in Times Square as well.

Regards
CK

Hello

Suggest u go to flushing meadows, the 2nd chinatown. very nice.

The chinatown at mott st/canal st is good too. Soho, Greenwich, Stock exchange are common too.

Harlem is nice too. Take a bus tour operated by Apple Tours. Sit on the upper deck and take pic.

However summer can be hot n humid.

Jeff

Go and get the 5 or 7 day package (just a card actually). You pay once for all the various places to visit, including Empire State Building, Museum of Natural Science, etc. You don't have to queue up to get a ticket. This means express elevator to the top of Empire State Building :D .

As you will be travelling up and down by public transport, get the Met travel ticket thingy that allows you up to 4 trips a day on the ticket without paying for $.

Just a list of places to visit:
Central Park from sunrise to sunset (about 14 hours :eek: :D ), Ground Zero, Times Square, UN Building, Yankee Stadium, watch a baseball game (Yankee or Mets). Harlem, Queens, Long Island, the various bridges (you can walk across some of them :D ).
The Met (Metropolitan Museum of art), MOMA (Museum of Modern Art), Guggenheim (not sure if it is still under renovation). Wall Street. On Saturday, visit the open-air market near 72nd Street East station, the one that was featured at the end of "You've got mail". Intrepid Space Museum, visit Central Park again. SOHO, Bryant Park, 5th Avenue (to window shop...) etc...

Get discount (up to 50%) at Tickettix for last minute, weekday and matinee tickets for shows on and off Broadway

Three weeks is about right...

Pay for cups of tea-o for me and I'll talk hours on NYC ("New York, New York!!!" :D ).

you could buy stuff from B&H back for clubsnappers.... ;p so we could save on the shipping charges.

Originally posted by mpenza
you could buy stuff from B&H back for clubsnappers.... ;p so we could save on the shipping charges.

:rolleyes: let me know what u wld like.. and i'll see what i can do..
of cse nothing clunky or fragile please..

thanks to all who replied so far..

The places that you must visit are

1. Empire States Building (MUST SEE)
2. Statue Of Liberty (be there early)
3. Grand Central Terminal (need a fast lens, flash plus tripod)
4. New York Stock Exchange
5. Times Square (see this place at night)
6. Saint Patrick's Cathedral

And if you have time

1. Soho
2. Greenwich village (near Soho)
3. Chinatown (near Soho as well)

Forget about buying anything for anybody as 3 weeks may be too little to soak up what is New York really like. Remember to wear comfortable walking shoes too. Forget about Harlem if you are not with some tour group.

If you have a couple hours free, might want to drop by B&H store. Its a camera wonderland. Just make sure you are not visiting on a Jewish holiday. ;)

Originally posted by Parchiao
The places that you must visit are

1. Empire States Building (MUST SEE)
2. Statue Of Liberty (be there early)
3. Grand Central Terminal (need a fast lens, flash plus tripod)
4. New York Stock Exchange
5. Times Square (see this place at night)
6. Saint Patrick's Cathedral

And if you have time

1. Soho
2. Greenwich village (near Soho)
3. Chinatown (near Soho as well)

Forget about buying anything for anybody as 3 weeks may be too little to soak up what is New York really like. Remember to wear comfortable walking shoes too. Forget about Harlem if you are not with some tour group.

Hmmm, 1, 3, 4, 6 can be done in a day. I went up to 1 at noon :D See 3 & 4 during morning rush hour. Times sq can be visited both times; during day (lunch at the restaurant, look/see) and at night to see the vast difference :p . 2 and 4 can be seen together too.

Originally posted by limhousen
Just make sure you are not visiting on a Jewish holiday. ;)

That means Saturday too. They are closed on Saturday, the Sabbath.

Originally posted by Watcher
Hmmm, 1, 3, 4, 6 can be done in a day. I went up to 1 at noon :D See 3 & 4 during morning rush hour. Times sq can be visited both times; during day (lunch at the restaurant, look/see) and at night to see the vast difference :p . 2 and 4 can be seen together too.

I got the chance to stay at mid-town Manhatten, about 5 minutes walk away from Chrysler Building, for about two weeks. Except for the Empire States Building and The Statue of Liberty, I visited almost everypart of Mid and downtown Manhatten many times over and still did not get enough of it all!

Originally posted by skyflash
Correct me if I am wrong: Ellis Island is where the quarantine quarters are. Statue of Liberty is on Liberty Island. The ferry has 2 drop-points: Liberty Island and Ellis Island.

Oops, my bad. You're correct. I got them confused. :embrass:

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Parchiao
I got the chance to stay at mid-town Manhatten, about 5 minutes walk away from Chrysler Building, for about two weeks. Except for the Empire States Building and The Statue of Liberty, I visited almost everypart of Mid and downtown Manhatten many times over and still did not get enough of it all!
Heh heh. All these talk sure brings back memory. My first time was upper West, around 76th and Broadway. I had the chance to enjoy the more residential areas (if you call that area residential ;) ). More, errrm, relax? Walk here, walk there, see many things.

The second time was mid-town, on 32nd street, in Korean Town, 2 blocks from Empire State building :D . Now that was convenient!

I still miss NYC. I might try to take a vacation there again in Oct (which I think is the best time).

Heh heh. All these talk sure brings back memory. My first time was upper West, around 76th and Broadway. I had the chance to enjoy the more residential areas (if you call that area residential ;) ). More, errrm, relax? Walk here, walk there, see many things.

The second time was mid-town, on 32nd street, in Korean Town, 2 blocks from Empire State building :D . Now that was convenient!

I still miss NYC. I might try to take a vacation there again in Oct (which I think is the best time).

The last time I was there is Oct 98, overcast skies everyday. :(

Regards
CK

Accommodation costs a bomb there huh.. I was there for only 3+ days, and stayed in the smallest "hotel room" in my life ;p
Plenty of street photography opportunities, although I'm not really into photography yet :(
New York was an eye-opener for me :)

..NuTs..

Originally posted by ckiang
The last time I was there is Oct 98, overcast skies everyday. :(

Regards
CK
Heh, I was lucky :D Sunny and warm during the day (mid 60s to 70s), dropping to high 50s at night; it was just great with my trusty leather jacket. I was HOT when I went to the Intrepid Space Museum. I went to a restaurant for lunch and a Bacardi and coke and she asked for my ID :eek: :bsmilie: .

I had very little time for Central Park to my regret. As I had said I was on the top of Empire State building at high noon, and like another New Yorker had sang, "On a clear day, you can see forever" ;) I had little time on WTC on the 80+ floor though, but the sunset was real good...

Originally posted by nuts
Accommodation costs a bomb there huh.. I was there for only 3+ days, and stayed in the smallest "hotel room" in my life ;p
Plenty of street photography opportunities, although I'm not really into photography yet :(
New York was an eye-opener for me :)

..NuTs..
You have no idea. A motel on friday night was at US$300+++, a Holiday In corner room was US$495 :eek:

I managed to get US$180-230+++ in mid town Manhattan..:eek:

Shoot some street artistes around Carnigie Hall and Blue Note in b/w.
If you dare, go to Harlem also.
I walked out alive.

You have no idea. A motel on friday night was at US$300+++, a Holiday In corner room was US$495 :eek:

I managed to get US$180-230+++ in mid town Manhattan..:eek:

Cheaper to stay at New Jersey and take the shutter from there.
Takes bout an hour to commute to downtown.

Heh, I was lucky :D Sunny and warm during the day (mid 60s to 70s), dropping to high 50s at night; it was just great with my trusty leather jacket. I was HOT when I went to the Intrepid Space Museum. I went to a restaurant for lunch and a Bacardi and coke and she asked for my ID

I had very little time for Central Park to my regret. As I had said I was on the top of Empire State building at high noon, and like another New Yorker had sang, "On a clear day, you can see forever" ;) I had little time on WTC on the 80+ floor though, but the sunset was real good...

Was there for the whole week, never seen a sunny day. :( Even the view from the Empire State isn't very clear.

I managed to get US$180-230+++ in mid town Manhattan..
My single room in Hotel Pennsylvania cost ~US$200, luckily it's paid for by my company. And it's more like a 3-star type. On the plus side, it's a couple of streets away from the Empire State. :)

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.