New York Institute of Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

js_chia

Jul 9, 2002
Singapore, Singapore
Visit site
Hi, want to ask if anyone take up a "Complete Course in Professional Photography" from New York Institute of Photography before. Feedback?

Otherwise, any good recommandation for full photography course??

Seriously looking into complete course in photography.
Any comment on this institute and it's course?
More information available here : http://www.nyip.com

The institute is part of a much bigger "home study" institution, offering all sorts of subjects. If you are worrying if the company will be around, it probably will. I have not taken the photography course, but know people who took their interior designs and landscape architecture course and were very happy. That was my mother, and she is now working partime in both.

I recall seeing their ads regularly in Modern Photography since the late 70s/early 80s. Looks like they've been around for a looong time.

The course offered cost around S$1400++. Just bought a D70 kit from fellow CS not long ago. Want to spend money wisely. If the course is not worth to pursue, then I might as well invest my money into accessories, and just take more photography.

I think it all depends.

Not saying the course is not good ah...but remember, it's a 'home-study' course which means you have to read course materials, understand, go and apply, then feed-back results to 'lecturer' to comment and make suggestions. This works very well for some people.

If you're an organised and focused sort of person, you could consider gathering and structuring your own research materials, project assignments, research in bookshops/internet, absorb, apply and post up in various forums for both technical as well as artistic critique. Cost? Electricity, time and perhaps printing/ink costs if you print out articles.

Of course, in the old days, NYIP would send you physical materials like negatives and such for you to practise your darkroom work, printing etc. I suppose now they would be e-mailing or sending CDs, especially for digital darkroom work.

Whether cost is worth it to you all depends on the quality of their course materials, any programmes/applications/digital goodies etc. Another consideration could be whether you're comfortable discussing things with Ang Mors via electronic means. I notice that some Asians, who are very talented, have major problems learning from American or European forums and discussions because Ang Mor speak/write the more powderful England and there may possibly be some cultural differences that could invariably influence the discussions, or at least the language they use in terms of examples, analogies and artistic influences.

I'm sure others who have gone through correspondence courses are in a better position to comment and advise.

Check the inet or phone directory for all the photographic societies listed in SG and check with them. I believe SAFRA also offers courses, as well as some private businesses that sometimes list in the Workshops section of CS.

All the best in your search.

is it possible to find the course material from NYIP?
last time ppl told me one can find online.. but i never see..

There are just that depends on the level you want.

do you required a accredited/recognized certificate in photography or take simply for the sake of self improvement?

There are just that depends on the level you want.

do you required a accredited/recognized certificate in photography or take simply for the sake of self improvement?

self improvement.. why need a cert unless go full time job..
took an glimpse of some Chinese version, very detailed.. from basics like how a lens work to detail..

is it possible to find the course material from NYIP?
last time ppl told me one can find online.. but i never see..

it's a DL course. So you can study locally.

On a personal note. These courses are ok if you are attempting it on a self improvement route. If you want to go commercial, suggest you take up related courses in NAFA/Laselle or other overseas establishment :)

Oh, do you know where is the place for the NYIP base in singapore? COntact or URL?

I also thought of taking part time diploma in photography in NAFA. But not sure which is better as one in term of going comercial for worldwide and not locally.

Oh, do you know where is the place for the NYIP base in singapore? COntact or URL?

I also thought of taking part time diploma in photography in NAFA. But not sure which is better as one in term of going comercial for worldwide and not locally.

Generally you learn more in a course where you see the teacher face to face and interact with fellow classmates. Assuming that the teacher in NAFA is as good as those in NYIP and both are about the same cost, it makes more sense to go for the part-time diploma.

If you are asking which is more recognized, then i would venture a guess that the NYIP is more renown.

But whether these teachers or qualifications can make you successful as a worldwide commercial photographer is a different question.

Last edited:
yea start local first

our school of arts (nafa and others)

have sufficient course at probably much better prices

Status
Not open for further replies.