New Year Fireworks Pictures

Oct 29, 2010
Hi all,
Hope its ok if I start this.

Just wanted to start a thread to post your fireworks pics here.

Managed to get some while trying out the black-card method suggested by:
http://hanjies.blogspot.com/2010/03/black-card-photography-ii-fireworks.html

Took this from my office at The Central 24th floor. Unfortunately, did not realize the firing was blocked by Riverwalk Apartment. Managed to salvage some by shifting to a new position within the office.

Pictures did not turn out as spectacular as I hoped. But still looked pretty good for first time trying out this method.
Would need to find more opportunities to try out black-card photography.
All photos not yet PP-ed.

oceanpriest

Apr 24, 2010
Ghim Moh
Here's mine :)

without black card, not yet pp-ed

Last edited:

vitor

Oct 13, 2009
hi

v new dslr setting for fireworks.
last time using canon PNS G11
auto

now using K-r
care to share what's the full setting ?

still wondering black card...
when starting counting the 5secs, then block black card, and pause timing, then low ones shoot again.
-- can pause timing ? hmmmm
not sure :p

Oct 29, 2010
hi

v new dslr setting for fireworks.
last time using canon PNS G11
auto

now using K-r
care to share what's the full setting ?

still wondering black card...
when starting counting the 5secs, then block black card, and pause timing, then low ones shoot again.
-- can pause timing ? hmmmm
not sure :p
I used Bulb mode, aperture f/10 and lowest ISO. Set it up on tripod and pre-focus to infinity. Used a wireless remote (happened to purchase one together with the 18-55WR that I used for this shot) to open and close the shutter. Used a lens cap from fren's Canon 17-40 EF which had a bigger diameter than my 18-55.
I used the cap to cover the lens during portions where the fireworks are too bright and may cause overexposure or when the smoke has not yet dissapated.
In retrospect I realized there were some periods where I chose to cover the lens and uncover during the wrong moments. Also should have used a more appropriate zoom as opposed to wide zoom.
But this was my first time and using a method I never tried before. Guess would look forward to my opportunites to try it out.

Top Bottom