New US TSA rules on Lithium Ion Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
walao! like that die liao.. must get batteries from ur destination then.:(

one more reason why i'm not traveling to the USA anytime soon... don't they realise they are turning away visitors with their asinine paranoia? :confused:

next thing u know.. all passengers must board planes bound for US in nude to make sure they are not a security risk...

one more reason why i'm not traveling to the USA anytime soon... don't they realise they are turning away visitors with their asinine paranoia? :confused:

next thing u know.. all passengers must board planes bound for US in nude to make sure they are not a security risk...
this will draw a bigger crowd :bsmilie:

...and in frozen cryogenic capsules. The future of air travel is bleak...

No lar, there's a better one ...

"Every visitor would be shot on arrival so that they will not pose a security risk"

but with thousands of dead bodies, they sure pose a health risk ... ;p

:think:

.......................your other opinion is rather more for kopitiam. however i will bite and say, that's very naive thinking and your opinion of 'cost' and the meaning of security needs to be reviewed.

Gonna cause a lot of confusion, 'cos they state the limits in grams of lithium - the last time I checked my batteries, it didn't mention how many grams of lithium it has - who uses grams of lithium to specifiy the battery capacity ? (and they don't even give an easy guide for people to do the conversion from what batteries normally are marked as - in mAh)

But if you look at the limits, they aren't so bad (taking the conversion of 8g of lithium is approx. 100 W hours)

A typical camera battery (take a Nikon ENEL3e (which is 1500 mAh, 7.2V) works out to be 10.8 W hours) is well within the 8g limit - so you can carry as many of these as you want as spare batteries on carry on luggage (if checked in, they'll need to be in the device)

There will come a time when everyone who wants to travel to the USA will have to remove all their clothing and check it in luggage and the US airlines will provide approved TSA orange overalls and shoes where there are TSA approved locks on the zippers and TSA approved shock cords on the shoes.

Right now the US airports are implementing taking the ten fingerprints. Next will be DNA collection of mouth swabs for foreigners, iris pattern, palm prints and footprints.

No H20.
No Lithium batteries.
No lighter.

not a big problem... see this

I try to remain as sensitive as I can to their 911 tragedy and comply with whatever eccentric paranoia-inspired regulations they come up with.

It used to be "Commies are out to get us!". Now it's pretty much "Everybody's out to get us!". Similar to that old tale of the Boy Who Cried Wolf, when there's just too many "wolves" to worry about, when the real wolf shows up, it's quite hard to pinpoint which one exactly.

What's worse is the execution of it. They spend so much time nitpicking these mundane checks, I'm quite concerned whether they'll be too busy executing these mundane checks on liquids, lithium batteries, and smelly shoes, when a real perpetrator goes through.

It sends chills down my spine just to think how the paranoia propaganda thought out by 20% of the Americans (the smart ones) is executed out of context by 80% of the Americans (the ones that couldn't find America on the World map).

During my recent trip to the US, the metal detector at the LAX airport security check went off twice when I passed through, probably due to some loose quarters in my pocket I didn't take out. I was then asked to go through a second thorough check where they will frisk with a handheld metal detector. This is not unusual as Changi airport practices the same.

But what took the security staff at Changi airport, or any decent airport 2 minutes, took some 15 minutes in LAX. I just hope they would remain equally alert when a real perpetrator comes through, and that he'll be carrying something metallic in his pockets to set the metal detector off twice.

You gotta to be S**TTING ME.......

What other things are they going to restrict............????

I pray Changi Airport do not practise this.

You gotta to be S**TTING ME.......

What other things are they going to restrict............????

I pray Changi Airport do not practise this.

The best is yet to come. Some day, some paranoia-schizo will require all visitors to the US to take laxatives 24 hours before the flight.

At major US airports, in addition to metal detectors, there will be sh*t detectors. "Beeeeepppp!!! Sorry Sir, it seems you're still full of sh*t. Pls kindly take a dose of TSA-approved laxatives, and reschedule your flight for another day." :bsmilie:

The best is yet to come. Some day, some paranoia-schizo will require all visitors to the US to take laxatives 24 hours before the flight.

At major US airports, in addition to metal detectors, there will be sh*t detectors. "Beeeeepppp!!! Sorry Sir, it seems you're still full of sh*t. Pls kindly take a dose of TSA-approved laxatives, and reschedule your flight for another day." :bsmilie:
actually, Douglas Adams wrote about this planet (in the Hitchhiker's series) where the inhabitants are so worried about erosion of the planet's resources that visitors are weighed on arrival and before departure, and any addition of weight due to waste material (ahem) is surgically removed...;p

sorry for OT...

From what I can see, casual DSLR users should be fine. Only those pros with like a briefcase full of batteries should be concerned
actually, a briefcase full of batteries should be fine as long as each of the batteries has less than 8g lithium equivalent and are packed so that they would not short circuit... or if 2 batteries are between 8g and 25g equivalent, they don't add up to more than 25g equivalent and are packed so they won't short circuit... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.