new umbrella design got award

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
just saw from news, a ploy's fyp "inverted" umbrella got an award.

but i saw this design earlier this year on tv program called "american inventor"! it was designed by a lady and went on into the finals!!

1st the copying from the national day's mv, now this. what a disgrace.:angry::angry:

edited : i may have been abit hursh, ok, maybe it a honest mistake that the students had made since teacher never teach mar!

pls refer to my post #10.

Last edited:
Before someone says Sg Flyer is copying London Eye, neither is London Eye original.

Before Edison perfected the electric light, there are already bulbs running on electricity.

Last edited:
Before someone says Sg Flyer is copying London Eye, neither is London Eye original.

Before Edison perfected the electric light, there are already bulbs running on electricity.

ya man poor tesla died poor while edison got rich.

Neither did Alex Bell invent the telephone. The poor (literally poor, he doesnt have money) Italian guy sent a letter via Western Union to London abt this, and guess what? It was intercepted by Bell himself, or so the story goes.

The angmohs thought they invented the printing press in the middle ages, but the Chinese did few hundred years before them.

Last edited:

I think the great Edison perfected the bedroom low-light photography.

So far no copycats yet. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

looks like we're out of steam (ideas)? :embrass:

my question is, info is readily avaible in the net, and as an institution incharge of training future professionals, and since singapore is so into ip, shouldnt they include training program for students to search for info regarding their projects?

what if after graduating, they accidently "invented" a design / technic that has already ben paternted? ends up being sue? can they explain by saying "oops, i didnt know such design / technic had already been paternted." after investing $$$ and end up being sued, how you think company will react?

if they have used other design, i would have no problem agreeing that they deserved the award.

i wonder who are the panel of judges, are they doing their job properly, do they even deserve to be in that seat?

Last edited:
so much for the spirit of innovation

Common, very common. Another great examples: Bill Gate's Microsoft Windows was neither the best GUI nor the first, yet it dominated the market. Ironically, although Apple claimed to be the first but was sued by Xerox. Did the Japanese invented cars? No, but they are the top maker now.

The moral of the story?

Last edited:
Common, very common. Another great examples: Bill Gate's Microsoft Windows was neither the best GUI nor the first, yet it dominated the market. Ironically, although Apple claimed to be the first but was sue but Xerox. Did the Japanese invented cars? No, but they are the top maker now.

The moral of the story?

the better business man wins :bsmilie: cars wise dun even start talking about it ford and gm deserved to be in the financial straits they're in right now.

i had a discussion with a fellow cser over coffee, he felt that there is no need for such course / subject in poly as it would have adverse effect on the student's creative thinking, also, as a dip grad, most likely not engineer so no need to shoulder such responsibilities.

whats your view?

also, after listening carefully to the interview on the news, this is a project from last year, only did some improvement to make its operation smoother and more protection for the hands operation the umbrella like cuts by the steel stems.:dunno:

Heh. I also watched American Inventor.

This is news because it made it to primetime tv news. At best, it's a "no-big-deal" idea. At worst, it's plagiarism.

just saw from news, a ploy's fyp "inverted" umbrella got an award.

but i saw this design earlier this year on tv program called "american inventor"! it was designed by a lady and went on into the finals!!

1st the copying from the national day's mv, now this. what a disgrace.:angry::angry:

edited : i may have been abit hursh, ok, maybe it a honest mistake that the students had made since teacher never teach mar!

pls refer to my post #10.

it is like that one lar. like many songs , movies or tv shows also copied here and there......................

btw, i also stay at BB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.