New to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzaboi

Sep 13, 2009
Hi Guys n ladies,

new to the forum as I've just got a new 500D as a present.

New to dslr. Hope can learn more from the experts here.

Did a search in the forum on wedding shoots and quite a number of threads came out.
Read thru the threads and found out a lot of useful info.

Im gonna shoot some pics for my friends wedding, juz as a backup. A pro was engaged to do the whole event.
Im not gonna get paid for the pics, but i also want to do a good job out of it also taking into consideration that im being totally new to taking dslr photos.

Any things to take note of while using the 500D with only the kit lens of 18-55 ?
Its gonna be an indoor ballroom shoot btw.

thks

Hello...welcome.

Do you have any prior experience in shooting events and handling a DSLR? If you do not have experience I woudl suggest that you use the P or Auto mode. Do note that lighting might be a challenge and a flash may be required.

Another thing to take note is not to get in the way of the official photographer.

welcome to the club

bump up your ISO on your cam as it's gonna be rather dark in a ballroom for weddings,

a flash will be nice and shoot at your lens' widest aperture. shoot in A which is aperture priority if you are unsure of how to use manual mode.

Hi Guys n ladies,

new to the forum as I've just got a new 500D as a present.

New to dslr. Hope can learn more from the experts here.

Did a search in the forum on wedding shoots and quite a number of threads came out.
Read thru the threads and found out a lot of useful info.

Im gonna shoot some pics for my friends wedding, juz as a backup. A pro was engaged to do the whole event.
Im not gonna get paid for the pics, but i also want to do a good job out of it also taking into consideration that im being totally new to taking dslr photos.

Any things to take note of while using the 500D with only the kit lens of 18-55 ?
Its gonna be an indoor ballroom shoot btw.

thks

do go for test run b4 the actual thingy...anyway, have fun and enjoy the shoot..;)

Hello pizzaboi, a very warm welcome to you. Well all the experienced members have given you their advice. I would just like to wish you a fruitful session for this Wedding.

ok, will take note of all the advices given.

wil visit the site with my friend coming this week, will test some settings.
hopefully will get it right.

Will try to post some of it when done !

thks !

And no matter what you set it to, be it auto, creative auto (which is nice), or program AE mode. The main thing is don't paiseh, just go straight ahead and take photos! Must be a bit thick skin, but you really get involved in the whole event :)

When I first got my 500D, i used creative auto (and set the background to max blur) hahaha its lots of fun.

Also Canon conducts free training for owners.
http://digitallab.canon.com.sg/complimentary.html

many thanks to stinkyboy,

havent really explored CA mode, will do that tonight.

really needed that lesson for my camera although is quite far away in Oct.
lol. thks !

one more burning questions from me.

for the cleaning kit, where to get it ?

i intend to get the blower plus microfibre cloth only.

After reading multiple posts on the steps on cleanings.

based on my understanding,

Blower is used to blow the dust off the lens as well as the 'hole' in the body after taking out the attached lens.
microfiber cloth juz used to clean off any non-oil prints on my filter.

are my assumptions correct ?

i intend to get a dry box with silica gel to store the body n lens or a 30l dry cabinet is better?

i will do more potraits and the usual lanscapes when holidaying.
so maybe another lens other than the kit lens will be the last addition to my setup.

any lens to recommend, pref with a little more focal length for zoom? budget $200 - $300. (dun luff at me if there is completely nothing in this range, lol) I have no idea how much it cost.

thks again for the help.

Last edited:
I suggest using the budget to get a dry cabinet first. Explore the range of lenses you need as you use your kit lens for the time being.

welcome to the club

bump up your ISO on your cam as it's gonna be rather dark in a ballroom for weddings,

a flash will be nice and shoot at your lens' widest aperture. shoot in A which is aperture priority if you are unsure of how to use manual mode.

Shooting in Aperture priority mode with flash is not recommended for beginners, as a lot more things needed to be taken care. Best is to start off by using Program mode with flash.

Blower is used to blow the dust off the lens as well as the 'hole' in the body after taking out the attached lens.
microfiber cloth juz used to clean off any non-oil prints on my filter.

No, DO NOT blow into the camera body unless you are trying to dislodge dust off the sensor. Just anyhow blowing will result in you doing more harm than good.

Hi pizzaboi,

welcome to CS.

Just practise more with your gear and understand it better.

No, DO NOT blow into the camera body unless you are trying to dislodge dust off the sensor. Just anyhow blowing will result in you doing more harm than good.

roger that...

thks for the info ppl.

And will invest in the dry cabinet as i read online that too dry will result in rubber hardening n such. the rubber linings on the camera ?

coz at first wanted to buy air tight box with satchets of HIPPO to juz de humidify.

but think twice... juz invest in the dry cabinet and mostly nuttin will go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.