New to Photography!

mingzhong

Mar 5, 2010
anywhere you want me to be
Good day everyone,

i am new to photography and would like to know what are the difference between Canon and Nikon DSLR! What are the recommeded wide angle lens for taking Landscape and what does the number 1.5 - 5.6 III appears after the lens size stands for?

Appreciate everyone's help :)

Hello...welcome.

There are many threads started before on Canon and Nikon. You may want to do a search and read through them. I would suggest that you look at what Sony, Pentax and Olympus has to offer as well.

The number indicated behind the focal length of the lens is the maximum aperture. (e.g. a 18-55mm lens will normally indicate 3.5-5.6 at the back. meaning at 18mm you can use a maximum aperture of 3.5 and at 55mm the max you can use is 5.6). You can read up on this via the numerous online articles as well.

Welcome to CS :)
Use the search function in the forum, it will yield u results more than u need to know.

Those numbers are aperture range for that focal length..

Good day everyone,

i am new to photography and would like to know what are the difference between Canon and Nikon DSLR! What are the recommeded wide angle lens for taking Landscape and what does the number 1.5 - 5.6 III appears after the lens size stands for?

Appreciate everyone's help :)

Hi mingzhong,

1. Difference between Canon and Nikon??? - None, they take great pictures ... but you have to direct it to take great pictures ... bad directors lead to bad pictures ... so regardless of how good a camera, if the cameraman is (pardon moi french) crap, picture will be ptui too! And by the way, do not be swayed by the advertising you see on tv, print, etc, that there is only Nikon and Canon. You may want to investigate Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic.

2. Recommended recommended wide angle lens - depends on what system you are using, Nikon, Canon???? But wide angle lenses will depend on what body you are using, full-frame or cropped (APS). Shan't get too technical here, but mostly as a beginner, you'll want to look at an APS-C body camera, like Canon 500D, 550D, Nikon D90, D5000, Pentax K-x, etc.

3. The numbers (*corrected*) 4-5.6 indicate the widest and smallest aperture the lens can have. Like an earlier reply from a fellow CSer, the 18-55mm is a good example. These numbers are of course referring to the lens, not the camera.

4. Last but not least, welcome to the club!

Cheers!

Hi, welcome to CS!! Happy Shooting !!;)

Choosing between the two? Both are equally good, just a bit of pricing difference of same technical level bodies. A lot depends on the lens you buy.

When I was choosing btn N & C, I went for Nikon cos I prefer the Vivid brighter colors that Nikon can give me. My bro who's using a C always commented how nice the colors of my photos are.

For landscape & if you are using a APS-C (cropped) sensor, a Tokina ATX11-16 is what works for me. For FF a 17-35mm would suffice but 14-24 is best:thumbsup: Get a good filter set like Cokin or better Lee filters for that postcard perfect photos:lovegrin:

Welcome to CS. The difference between canon and nikon is their spelling and pronounciation. :bsmilie:

The well-known lenses from Canon are white whereas it's black for Nikon.

Recommended focal lengths for landscapes may range from 10.5mm fisheye to 300mm etc.

welcome!

I chose nikon also because I think the colors are more vivid.

Both are excellent choices because of the large amount of users, so getting second stuff will have some advantages ;)

Welcome to CS! Maybe you should investigate the Pentax K-x like me who is new to photography.

Read up about what it can or cannot do for a camera that you have in mind. See if it fits you.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and answers.. Appreciate that :)

I'm actually planning to get either EOS 500D, 550D or 50D. May i know how can i check if those 2nd hand lens on the forum are compatible with these model?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and answers.. Appreciate that :)

I'm actually planning to get either EOS 500D, 550D or 50D. May i know how can i check if those 2nd hand lens on the forum are compatible with these model?
If it's a Canon lens, it's a very high likelihood that the lens is compatible with 1 of your chosen Canon camera bodies.
500D, 550D, 50D are all crop-sensor cameras. Image sensor is smaller ('cropped') than the old 35mm film and full-frame DSLRs like Canon 1Ds or 5D.

all of canon's recent lenses (from 20+ years ago till now) are either EF (for full-frame) or EF-S (for crop). BOTH are compatible with your chosen camera.

ok ok... I'm tired of spoonfeeding you... go search for the rest of the info!

welcome to CS, you can try also Olympus as it works good to me and i am also a newbie.:)

Welcome to the club !

Welcome to CS:)