New to Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

afterzero

Apr 3, 2009
iamabcd.com
Hi guys.. im pretty new with photography. I just recently bought my Nikon D5000 with 18-55mm kit lens. I was wondrin if anyone here can teach a thing or two about the art

I went to orchard last thursday night and tried to shoot randomly (was wishing experimentation and trial-and-error approach would work). The best shots so far are on my flickr account. http://www.flickr.com/photos/absgonzales/

Thanks!

Hello...welcome.

You can start by heading to the library to read up on the basics and learn from the seniors during outings/gatherings.

welcome to CS, D5000 is a good cam for night shot. you can try some setting on ur own first then ask some senior here.

Hello...welcome.

You can start by heading to the library to read up on the basics and learn from the seniors during outings/gatherings.

I actually reserved two books by scott kelby. I still don't have the time to drop by the library so I just reserved. I'll try to drop by later this evening. Thanks!

nice shots.

dnt jus read, shot also. like this u can have hands on and fully understand wat u read :)

nice shots.

dnt jus read, shot also. like this u can have hands on and fully understand wat u read :)

Yeah, its just a bit time consuming, but I know it will pay off. :D Thanks guys for the warm welcome!

Hi afterzero,

Welcome to CS :)

I actually reserved two books by scott kelby. I still don't have the time to drop by the library so I just reserved. I'll try to drop by later this evening. Thanks!

You're already way ahead of some who don't bother reading...
I've only started shooting for a yr, also borrow from library e books I read, they do have some of the latest popular books.

Check out also books by Joe mcnally.
"The moment it clicks"
"Hot shoe Diaries" - when u wanna start using flash
http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/ His book is easy to read and educational as well..

"Understanding Shutter Speed" by Bryan Peterson
"Understanding Exposure"
"Learning to See Creatively" *Which I've just started, looks really gd so far.

Cheers!

Last edited:
welcome to CS :)

Actually with digital cameras, it's quite easy to learn the basics by experimentation and being a bit clever.

For example, you set up your camera on a tripod (or any stable object, if you don't have tripod), put it to M mode, set it to any combination of shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Here's how it might possibly turn out:

a) set to f/4.5, 1/60s, ISO 200 (as an example only). take a shot
b) change shutter speed to 1/125s. picture becomes darker
c) change shutter speed to 1/250s. picture becomes darker still.

ahhh.... so making the shutter faster makes the picture darker.

d) set back to f/4.5, 1/60s, ISO 200.
e) set aperture to f/5.6. picture becomes darker
f) set aperture to f/8. picture becomes darker still.

ahhhh... so increasing the f-number makes the picture darker

g) what if I increase the f-number by 1 click and slow down the shutter speed by 1 click?
ahhh.. the brightness appears to be the same.

.and so it goes on.

You're already way ahead of some who don't bother reading...
I've only started shooting for a yr, also borrow from library e books I read, they do have some of the latest popular books.

Check out also books by Joe mcnally.
"The moment it clicks"
"Hot shoe Diaries" - when u wanna start using flash
http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/ His book is easy to read and educational as well..

"Understanding Shutter Speed" by Bryan Peterson
"Understanding Exposure"
"Learning to See Creatively" *Which I've just started, looks really gd so far.

Cheers!

Thanks for the recommendations.. Ill keep them on my list.. :)

welcome to CS :)

Actually with digital cameras, it's quite easy to learn the basics by experimentation and being a bit clever.

For example, you set up your camera on a tripod (or any stable object, if you don't have tripod), put it to M mode, set it to any combination of shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Here's how it might possibly turn out:

a) set to f/4.5, 1/60s, ISO 200 (as an example only). take a shot
b) change shutter speed to 1/125s. picture becomes darker
c) change shutter speed to 1/250s. picture becomes darker still.

ahhh.... so making the shutter faster makes the picture darker.

d) set back to f/4.5, 1/60s, ISO 200.
e) set aperture to f/5.6. picture becomes darker
f) set aperture to f/8. picture becomes darker still.

ahhhh... so increasing the f-number makes the picture darker

g) what if I increase the f-number by 1 click and slow down the shutter speed by 1 click?
ahhh.. the brightness appears to be the same.

.and so it goes on.

Thanks for the insight.. I've been doing that a bit... And it works.. :) I might try to go out this weekend for some random shoots. Im actually interested in landscape photography and taking candids.

Before there can be photography of any kind, there has to be LIGHT ...

I would suggest ANY book on Understanding the Basics of LIGHT in Photography at your local library, followed by Understanding Exposure, then finally books on digital photography followed by PhotoShop BASICS.

welcome fellow newbie.

i am very newb also.

wah as newbie u find got many thing to read. i read alot. read until now when i see people, i keep thinking about aperture size...and i can also see the focus point on their face.

today, when my boss come to see me, I think "portrait mode" and "no flash".

afterzero said:
Thanks for the recommendations.. Ill keep them on my list.. :)

Thanks for the insight.. I've been doing that a bit... And it works.. :) I might try to go out this weekend for some random shoots. Im actually interested in landscape photography and taking candids.

hahah maybe I should organize another newbies outing ;)
Kena pestered for damn long already!
Some of the people who came along to my first newbies outing have become "masters" of photography already (no credit to me... all their own effort).

hahah maybe I should organize another newbies outing ;)
Kena pestered for damn long already!
Some of the people who came along to my first newbies outing have become "masters" of photography already (no credit to me... all their own effort).

that'd be great.. :D

i picked up a book from the library yesterday. "Mastering Composition with your DSLR" by Chris Rutter. I've started to flip around the pages last night. ;)

Again, thanks guys for the warm welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.