New to Photography + Suggestions for entry-level camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilboytoy

Feb 20, 2006
Hey one and all,

I'm a newbie to photography... Recently played with my friend's DSLR (I think) and found photography very fun, as well as being interested in it for quite some time.

I need suggestions for an entry-level camera for amateur shots. Cost is a significant factor because I don't really wish to spend much as I'm going to use the camera to hopefully pick up some serious photography.

Anyway, anything to say about photography to a complete newb like me? Like, its challenges and things I've to learn or know... Please enlighten me! =)

lilboytoy said:
Hey one and all,

I'm a newbie to photography... Recently played with my friend's DSLR (I think) and found photography very fun, as well as being interested in it for quite some time.

I need suggestions for an entry-level camera for amateur shots. Cost is a significant factor because I don't really wish to spend much as I'm going to use the camera to hopefully pick up some serious photography.

Anyway, anything to say about photography to a complete newb like me? Like, its challenges and things I've to learn or know... Please enlighten me! =)

you mention cost is a significant factor. how much are you willing to pour out for your camera alone? [minus the accesories and etc. first]

metallilan said:
you mention cost is a significant factor. how much are you willing to pour out for your camera alone? [minus the accesories and etc. first]

Without piror research into the costs of cameras nowadays, I would say around $700-$800. I assume that's on the low side?

How much would be a comfortable budget to get a camera?

Edit: Actually, the lower the cost the better, because I'm completely new to photography. If I have some of the skills I might go for more expensive models... But now, cheaper the better. =)

Then S2 IS would be a great cam for your budget. It's officially $849 but you can get it under $800.

It's got a good balance for the newbie and when you're more comfortable with photography, you can use the manual functions as well. Plus having a 36-432mm lens means getting a wide range with one lens.

philliptan said:
Then S2 IS would be a great cam for your budget. It's officially $849 but you can get it under $800.

It's got a good balance for the newbie and when you're more comfortable with photography, you can use the manual functions as well. Plus having a 36-432mm lens means getting a wide range with one lens.

you[lilboytoy] can get the rival of the S2..the Fz5! the one im currently using. or you can wait till panasonic rolls out their Fz7 along with their new line of accesories...
here's panasonics product info from bargaincity : clicky

metallilan said:
you[lilboytoy] can get the rival of the S2..the Fz5! the one im currently using. or you can wait till panasonic rolls out their Fz7 along with their new line of accesories...
here's panasonics product info from bargaincity : clicky

Erm...FZ-7 is already out.

lilboytoy said:
Without piror research into the costs of cameras nowadays, I would say around $700-$800. I assume that's on the low side?

How much would be a comfortable budget to get a camera?

Edit: Actually, the lower the cost the better, because I'm completely new to photography. If I have some of the skills I might go for more expensive models... But now, cheaper the better. =)

As said, the S2 IS is the choice as it offers a lot of features including manual functions. If you want to go lower and more compact, you can try the Canon Ixus 55 or A620. But from what i heard that today Canon reveals the newer Ixus 60 and 65 and the powershot A700.

philliptan said:

Where can I get a good price for this camera?

Anyway, what's the difference between an (D)SLR and a camera like the S2?

Also, the Canon S3 is coming out right? Will the S2 decrease in price? Or will the S3 be at round the same price with the S2 but with better features?

lilboytoy said:
Where can I get a good price for this camera?

Anyway, what's the difference between an (D)SLR and a camera like the S2?

Also, the Canon S3 is coming out right? Will the S2 decrease in price? Or will the S3 be at round the same price with the S2 but with better features?

S2 and FZ7 are compact megazooms with advanced features. they are the same like compact cameras but with a bit more control like aperture, shutter speed etc and they have the long 12x zoom.

the price of an S2 is now about $855[from bargain city] while the FZ5 is about $710[also from bargain city]. them prices have already started dropped sometime already...but dont expect too significant.

try this site for good prices.

most of time when a new camera is released, the retail value is quite high. take eg. my fz5. i got it for $799 at sitex and look at the value now :sweat:

S2's price sure drop one cos now S3 has been launched. Same for 20D as 30D is out. That also applies to the other new powershot compact series.

If you're that cost conscious, I suggest that you start with film photography since you're very new in this hobby. With many converting to using digital cameras, film camera prices are dropping real quick. Start with b/w photography using Ilford film and you might just fall in love with it. Signup a basic b/w course at one of the various photography centres like Objectifs or SAFRA Photo Club and learn more from those old birds (instructors).

Get one system which can help you cross over to using digital easily by changing the camera body when you feel you're ready for the next stage, eg. Canon EOS or Nikon systems. Buy them 2nd hand so that you wont feel the pinch on your own pocket. With $700-800 you should get a fairly decent camera body and a good zoom lens, and maybe a small flash too. Check with Camera Workshop and ask for uncle Nelson. He can advise you some more.

Hope this info helps.

lilboytoy said:
Hey one and all,

Maybe you can consider getting a 2nd hand DSLR to start learning.
Check the Buy&Sell folder, many good 2nd hand DSLR cameras are on sale by members.

DumbDoDo said:
Maybe you can consider getting a 2nd hand DSLR to start learning.
Check the Buy&Sell folder, many good 2nd hand DSLR cameras are on sale by members.
I strongly would advise against buying a DSLR. Sure you can get one pretty cheap in B&S but that is just the beginning of the buying process. Buy a prosumer first and learn the basics of photography. Once you find that you've outlived the camera's capabilities you can then consider a second hand DSLR. Don't just jump into it. There will always be some good offer in B&S as there will always be new models coming out.

jbma said:
I strongly would advise against buying a DSLR. Sure you can get one pretty cheap in B&S but that is just the beginning of the buying process. Buy a prosumer first and learn the basics of photography. Once you find that you've outlived the camera's capabilities you can then consider a second hand DSLR. Don't just jump into it. There will always be some good offer in B&S as there will always be new models coming out.

A compact will be very gd for a start too.

fujifilm F11 low noise even at ISO1600! Can beat some DSLR at it too!!

Vibrant pictures too! :lovegrin:

i think what you need is a camera which you can add more items to it and expand it as you learn your way around. you won't want to buy a camera which is limited in exapandability like you can't add filters or an external flash to it.

since if you are really interested in learning, try getting a camera which you know you can add more accesories to it. its better that way.

not many budget cameras can 'add' accessories. also the addition of accessories can be done by improvisation.

metallilan said:
i think what you need is a camera which you can add more items to it and expand it as you learn your way around. you won't want to buy a camera which is limited in exapandability like you can't add filters or an external flash to it.

since if you are really interested in learning, try getting a camera which you know you can add more accesories to it. its better that way.

Yes, like when i bought my sony P8 last time, i bought the entire accessories for it, cost me over $1.8k! I'm still using it until now.

metallilan said:
S2 and FZ7 are compact megazooms with advanced features. they are the same like compact cameras but with a bit more control like aperture, shutter speed etc and they have the long 12x zoom.

the price of an S2 is now about $855[from bargain city] while the FZ5 is about $710[also from bargain city]. them prices have already started dropped sometime already...but dont expect too significant.

try this site for good prices.

most of time when a new camera is released, the retail value is quite high. take eg. my fz5. i got it for $799 at sitex and look at the value now :sweat:

Eh good prices meh the site?

I went around asking casually and they were all under the price stated.

I still deciding between FZ5 and S2... Leaning towards S2 because it looks cooler, well IMO, but then the price difference is quite significant.. Hmm.

Owners of the two cameras wanna comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.