New to photography! Recommend me a camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotAtheory

Nov 8, 2009
Yeah, maybe this is a sudden interest, probably because I have finished My Os and now looking for a new interest to endure the holidays~

I want to learn photography,as it can become one of my personnel interests.
As a guy, I think I'm more into DSLRs.
But with a limited fund, so will most probably get a 2nd-hand one.
Anyway, can you recommend me one DSLR in my budget range?
My fund is like.. 300-600, body with lens, basically everything included.
So I have been eying on a few models, namely Nikon D40, D40x, Canon 300D, 350D,400D.
Because I can find some good offers in these models.
I will be an amateur photographer and most probably not needing some high-end ones.
Give me some comments please?
And thanks!

Hello, NotAtheory.
Firstly a warm welcome to you.
As a sudden interest, it is probably good not to dump too much money.
Within your budget, perhaps a second hand 300D with a second hand kit lens.
Check out some of the shops around Peninsula Plaza/Peninisula Shopping centre that sell second hand cameras.
This way, you can come face to face with a seller who can advise you.
Better for you as a starter.
My opinion.

Look for 2nd hand entry level cameras. A lot of BBB virus going around, so these entry level cameras are being let go at amazing speeds.

I suggest a 2nd hand D40x or D60 kit. Very easy to use and easy to get great pictures out of them. too bad I sold my D40x kit already, within your budget too!

Thanks for the advice!
Maybe I will head to peninsular plaza tmr to check out the prices n stats of these 2nd-hand DSLRs.

Yeah it's a great deal, but a total of 699+230=829 is beyond my budget.. haha, attractive though.

if u hv limited funds, avoid the entry level cameras of Nikon, like the D5000 and below.

Reason is because, besides not having image stabalizer (so u need to pay more when buying lens to have build in lens stabalizer), these entry level Nikon DSLR dont even have build in focus motor in their body, so u have limited lenses to choose from, and also those lens will cost more than their similar counter parts due to having the motor in the lens body.

Getting a DSLR with build in stabalizer and focus motor will save u money in the long run.

With $600, u can either get a brand new Sony A230 with kit lens, or a 2nd hand A330/A300 which only cost $500+ (dont overpay for it, brand new A330 with kit lens only cost $800).

PS: If u r buying brand new A230 with kit lens, do NOT buy from Sony style as the RRP is $699. Buy from retail shops, the price will be $600.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a great deal, but a total of 699+230=829 is beyond my budget.. haha, attractive though.

Huh? Where'd you get that math from?

The A230 plus kit is about 600-630 in most shops.

Huh? Where'd you get that math from?

The A230 plus kit is about 600-630 in most shops.

The additional $230 is the promotion package thing.

I think I would head down to peninsular first and check out the prices.

The additional $230 is the promotion package thing.

I think I would head down to peninsular first and check out the prices.

Nope, the additional $230 is the extended warranty which is totally optional. The camera with kit lens alone is about $600+ as mentioned by bro Rashkae.

Just to add, the extended warranty comes with a free 50mm f1.8 lens which is extremely good. But if u don wan the extended warranty u can still purchase the lens another time, at around $200.

Just to add, the extended warranty comes with a free 50mm f1.8 lens which is extremely good. But if u don wan the extended warranty u can still purchase the lens another time, at around $200.

Less than 200 actually if you ask properly. :)

The A100 and A200 are going off 2nd hands at an amazing price, just last few weeks someone sell a A200 + Kit lens for $330!

A200 is a very good cam, i would say, better than the A230/330 which grip is horribly uncomfortable!

Lenrek sold his a200 for $200, I was too slow else I sure grab from him and keep it as a backup body T.T

Dun want to pour cold water.. but do read up a bit on DSLR..
If this is only a passing passion, w/ limited budget, do stick w/ a PnS or prosumer

Unlike PnS, which basically is maintenance free & can help u to capture a great variety of photography interest(although not the best quality), a DSLR is almost the opposite

Maybe,
U need to buy dry cabinet to prevent fungus in ur DSLR body & lens
U need to buy a bag to contain ur DSLR & lens for outing
U need to buy filters
U need to buy tripod
U need to buy flash
U need to buy different lens for different fields of photography (many which will easily cost more than ur DSLR body)

All the above cost $$, are you prepared to make the commitment ? :dunno:
If the answer is yes, welcome to DSLR

Sorry TS to bring this thread up for u...
as for me, I too into DSLR and my budget is just like yours.
As I am going overseas next mth, that's why I could not get a high end dslr.

I have done some searching, I am currently checking on Sony A230 and A330
however I was told by people that Sony wx1 is good too however it is not dslr.

I am kind of lost. Aren't sure which to go for.

Status
Not open for further replies.