New to photography and have some questions that would need your help

kanzer

May 12, 2011
Hey,

I am new to this photography thing. borrowed my sister's Canon EOS 500D and went for a trip. got interested. May develop this new interest.

Questions!

Firstly about gear. I think the 500D is good enough so i will not buy a new body. I have the stock 18-55 and a 50mm prime.

I need some recommendations as to should i get more gear? say an external flash? a battery pack? or new lens?

please hit me with some recommendations as to what to buy!

Secondly!

Tell me why you love photography?
I like it as i could capture perspectives. How i view things. capture moments on the faces of others.

I know that many newbies have asked similar qns. but i decided to ask the same qns again in hope to find a more personalised answer from you folks!
thanks!

Hi.
Firstly, I think you should read up on the beginners recommendations from this forum as it should just about cover what you want to know about getting into the hobby.

Secondly, you would be helping yourself a lot by shooting with the available gear first before even thinking about what to buy next. when you're already comfortable and know what you really want to shoot will you find out where your current gear is limiting you.

Thirdly, enjoy shooting!

cheers!

as you progress, you will know what you need. Everyone's perspective is different. Some like the fisheye effect so they get fisheye lenses. some like the strobist effect so they get external flashes. some like to shoot insects, so they get macro lenses. Some like birding, so they buy long tele-lenses

icic. thats true that i should try out more before even deciding on buying newer stuff.

but i would like to zoom further and have a bigger aperture. maybe buy one lens? something with wide angle and low F? recommend?

icic. thats true that i should try out more before even deciding on buying newer stuff.

but i would like to zoom further and have a bigger aperture. maybe buy one lens? something with wide angle and low F? recommend?

You sound confused. First you want to 'zoom further' (I presume this means you want a lens with longer focal length) and then you ask if you should get something with a 'wide angle' (which implies a short focal length).
You sure you need a lens with a bigger aperture? Perhaps post a photo which you've taken where you think a larger aperture would help?

ZerocoolAstra.

thanks man. seriously. your reply made me rethink. really rethink. i guess that i am really confused. :) thanks seriously.

i took some photos that i was really too far away at night. so i wanted to like be able to zoom that wee bit more. and it was too dark so i tot a wider aperture would help to let more light in.

i was using a 18-55 on the 500D. took at max zoom with iso 3200.

ZerocoolAstra.

thanks man. seriously. your reply made me rethink. really rethink. i guess that i am really confused. :) thanks seriously.

i took some photos that i was really too far away at night. so i wanted to like be able to zoom that wee bit more. and it was too dark so i tot a wider aperture would help to let more light in.

If you're taking landscapes, generally you're after a good level of sharpness and sufficient depth of field. 'Budget' lenses such as 18-55, 55-200, etc are (IMHO) pretty sharp at apertures like f/8 or f/11. DOF is also deeper at such apertures (kill 2 birds with 1 stone).

The problem is with small aperture, you need a longer (slower) shutter speed. This is where you really need a good support system.
To me, a good tripod is indispensible.

Of course I've been blabbering above about landscapes. You could be thinking of other genres...

Last edited:
ZerocoolAstra.

The trick about most nightscapes is using low ISO (about 100~400) and at longer exposure (> 3 sec), higher ISO like the 3200 will result in alot of digital noise. I would suggest that you stick on to your current lens and get the basics right first. BBB won't help improve your techniques.

If you really need the extra range >55mm, consider a "low-end" telephoto lens like 55-250. Should be around 250~300 in the B&S Section.

kanzer said:
Hey,

I am new to this photography thing. borrowed my sister's Canon EOS 500D and went for a trip. got interested. May develop this new interest.

Questions!

Firstly about gear. I think the 500D is good enough so i will not buy a new body. I have the stock 18-55 and a 50mm prime.

I need some recommendations as to should i get more gear? say an external flash? a battery pack? or new lens?

please hit me with some recommendations as to what to buy!

Secondly!

Tell me why you love photography?
I like it as i could capture perspectives. How i view things. capture moments on the faces of others.

I know that many newbies have asked similar qns. but i decided to ask the same qns again in hope to find a more personalised answer from you folks!
thanks!

Think the 50mm is a great lens to play around with esp for beginners like me. :) Love the shallow depth of field when shooting wide open e.g f1.8

Do you need a flash? Or tripod? Depends on what you're taking.. No use buying a tripod then leave it at home if you don't take e.g landscapes etc

Join us for some outings someday! :) can learn from each other.