New to Photography - Advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

purefish

May 10, 2009
Hi All, i was thining of getting Canon 1000D with 18-55 IS & EF 70-300 ($1099) or Sony A300 with twin lens ($1399) too. I was worried that the Canon without IS in body or lens was bad for my fren with shaky hands but yesterday the sales was able to demonstrate that he can easily capture pic at any angle with a single hand but pic still clear! ;) he say it require experimenting and the correct adjustment. Whereas sony can be AF/MF wit IS.

So which should i get? He worried that new batch of 1000D might be made in china instead of japan. Or should i wait till the next IT show??

Have you tried out the cameras?

Plenty of users shoot without IS and have no issues. You just need to learn how to hold the camera for using good breathing techniques. And how can we tell you which you'd prefer more? It's YOUR tool. Go look up more and handle them and see which you'd like better.

Maybe something you can clarify about the demonstration.

What was the settings used by the sales rep during the demonstration? Short focal length? Short shutter speed? Did you view the picture on the camera LCD? All these can reduce/mask blurness caused by handshake.

That said, perhaps its better your friend try it for himself, just because the sales rep can do it, doesn't mean your friend can.

IT shows don't usually give good deals, sound out the usual camera shops instead.

Normally u see clear in the lcd, go load in computer , 100% motion blur .
dun get tricked by the lcd.

To cut the long story shorter. Image Stablizer is effective whether in lens or body. Have is better than don't have when shutter get a bit slower 1/60sec- 1/40sec.

For discussion sake, body IS does save money than OS build lenses but how many lenses are you going to buy? In the end, it is your choice of the dark sides by brand.

So which should i get? He worried that new batch of 1000D might be made in china instead of japan. Or should i wait till the next IT show??

It doesn't mater where the camera is produced. Canon (and all the other manufacturers) give their warranty - regardless of location of production. Canon also produces in Malaysia, so what?

is will be helpful in LOW LIGHT conditions,

if you have a bright sunny day, and exposure speeds are 1/1000 second, if you can introduce hand shake without trying i chop off my head

There are several things you need to be aware of, firstly camera shake is largely dependant on what the shutter speed of the camera is, for example if your shutter is tripping (snapping a photo essentially) at 1/1000 sec, you're unlikely to encounter any camera shake, but as it gets slower like 1/30, then you'll run into problems. Ask the sales rep to demonstrate 1/30 @ 55mm with and without the IS on.

Generally, for shorter lenses like the 18-55, imo you don't really need the IS, I have shaky hands(Essential Tremors) fyi. But for long telephoto lenses a la 70-300, 55-250, 70-200 etc etc, at the long ends, you'll notice that without the image stabiliser things can get pretty shaky. For telephoto lenses, you'll definitely want the image stabiliser.

As for IS built into the bodies such as Sony DSLRs, I hear you can't see the difference through the viewfinder whether or not the image stabiliser is actually working. However for a lens-based IS system, when you half depress the shutter release, you'll notice your view automatically stabilise(try this at longer focal lengths for a clearer demonstration). This is comforting to know and as you progress would be good knowledge as to what shutter speed you require to grab the shot without camera shake coming in.

Finally, don't get the 1000D, with the 500D now out, the 450D replaces the 1000D as Canon's entry-level DSLR and eventually it will go out of production, but thats not my point. My point is that the 450D is a better camera in my opinion. My apologies to any 1000D owners if I have offended you in anyway:embrass:

Last edited:
Here's a great way to compare the DSLRs that were mentioned in this thread.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...eos500d,canon_eos1000d,sony_dslra300&show=all

Personally, putting cost aside, Canon 500D is a pretty good option specs wise. However, which is a better buy depends mainly on your budget and also your feel when holding the camera itself. I would rather you pop down to the camera shop and hold the camera in your hand and 'feel' them.

is will be helpful in LOW LIGHT conditions,

if you have a bright sunny day, and exposure speeds are 1/1000 second, if you can introduce hand shake without trying i chop off my head

Lol. Use a 1200mm lens on crop camera.

wat settin is the sale rep shooting at?

i can shot with 1 hand with shutter speed at the fastest time n no blur also.
dun b fooled.

Status
Not open for further replies.