New to photog. Wanna get started! :>

Status
Not open for further replies.

happitreesmiles

Jun 3, 2006
SG
hi all, i'm new to photog. keen to start learning abt it. i kinda figured i wanna get the S3 IS cos it seems to be a gd camera to start off w? can learn fr auto then explore the other features/controls later on as i bcm more familiar w it?

can someone advise me where's a gd place to buy the camera and the price to expect? also, wat r the usual freebies that i shld expect to get? erm, i'm not too gd at bargaining so tot i shld ask for advise so i don't end up getting "lugi"-ing... i haven't bought a digital camera before, so any advise will be welcomed! :>

also, any advise on gd photog bks to start off w or courses? also, for such a green person like me, can i join the outings here? wh one will be a gd one to go to?

an added motivation's so i can take nice pic.s in my upcoming hol.s... keke! can i also ask abt storage devices? quite clueless here... apart fr the memory cards, u can get storage devices w greater memory capacity? can download them fr the memory cards when on hol so that can take more pics? can anyone tell me what are these, their storage capacities and cost?

thks in advance for responses! :>

hi all, i'm new to photog. keen to start learning abt it. i kinda figured i wanna get the S3 IS cos it seems to be a gd camera to start off w? can learn fr auto then explore the other features/controls later on as i bcm more familiar w it?

Not very sure about the S3, but depends on yourself, many cameras are good enough to start with. It really isnt about the camera sometimes. My fren comments sometimes that his gf takes better shots with her very old PnS than him with us with our D70. But depending on what u need, how much u are willing to pay, choose the kind u will buy. for me, i am quite serious into getting into photography, so i decided to skip prosumer which might sometimes cost almost 900 to 1K and go straight into DSLR. Dont want to waste the money to change later.

can someone advise me where's a gd place to buy the camera and the price to expect? also, wat r the usual freebies that i shld expect to get? erm, i'm not too gd at bargaining so tot i shld ask for advise so i don't end up getting "lugi"-ing... i haven't bought a digital camera before, so any advise will be welcomed! :>

I think its those usual places CSers will recommend. I do go to Cathy Photos and Alan Photos most of the time. Maybe ask for mem cards? bags? usual tons of freebies comes during promo periods and I think those big retail stores like Harvey and Courts then will try to lure u with much more freebies

also, any advise on gd photog bks to start off w or courses? also, for such a green person like me, can i join the outings here? wh one will be a gd one to go to?

I also newbie, my way to learn is to shoot shoot shoot! I do have fren more experience than me, so i sent my photos to them to comment. But there are many many outings organise here. I also want to go one day! Interested, can come with me and my frens when we go oon our own walkabout. I sometimes goes alone when they are not free also. Welcome for you to join. Newbie and learn together :bsmilie:

an added motivation's so i can take nice pic.s in my upcoming hol.s... keke! can i also ask abt storage devices? quite clueless here... apart fr the memory cards, u can get storage devices w greater memory capacity? can download them fr the memory cards when on hol so that can take more pics? can anyone tell me what are these, their storage capacities and cost?

for me, i dont really go for these kind of devices. maybe i havent reached that mark that i need so much memory. But for me, i foresee that i would purchase more card instead. i could take about 355 RAW on my D70s on a 2GB card. 1 RAW file is about 5mb. If not, there is always this transfer device selling at eastgear, which have a 2.5" hdd inside, which is prone to failure i think, cos of the mechanical parts.

thks in advance for responses!
if i got help, then thats good lor. jus my opinion. ;)

i agree with all the above but especially SHoot SHoot Shoot. or better yet shoot shoot shoot study results and shoot somemore
edward

hi zcwnfx, thks for ur reply. i think i shld start w non-dslr 1st. fr wat i read, it seems that jumping into dslr means big investments in lenses, etc? i think for me, i'll start small n see if i get the hang of photog. thks for ur invite... will be happy to hv pple to learn w, after i buy my camera. seems like a lot of places to go n compare prices n freebies... er, so no "standard" freebies to expect? btw, where's eastgear? transfer device is a hard disk drive? do u know wats the capacity/price? is it one of those gadgets where u can view the images (so u can decide wat to delete)? if going for 16 day tour, u think how mang GB i'll need. S3IS can only take in jpeg, i think. think i'll mostly be taking scenery or pple pic.s... i think i can be quite trigger happy... :>

hi edward, yes, will try shooting once i hv the chance. wanna try it out before i go for my hol.

happitreesmiles said:
hi zcwnfx, thks for ur reply. i think i shld start w non-dslr 1st. fr wat i read, it seems that jumping into dslr means big investments in lenses, etc? i think for me, i'll start small n see if i get the hang of photog. thks for ur invite... will be happy to hv pple to learn w, after i buy my camera. seems like a lot of places to go n compare prices n freebies... er, so no "standard" freebies to expect? btw, where's eastgear? transfer device is a hard disk drive? do u know wats the capacity/price? is it one of those gadgets where u can view the images (so u can decide wat to delete)? if going for 16 day tour, u think how mang GB i'll need. S3IS can only take in jpeg, i think. think i'll mostly be taking scenery or pple pic.s... i think i can be quite trigger happy... :>

hi edward, yes, will try shooting once i hv the chance. wanna try it out before i go for my hol.

Its good to start with a camera with manual controls so you can play around before you take a leap in SLR cameras. :) Go to the usual suspects like MS Color, TK Foto, Cathay Photo and you can be quite sure the prices are pretty reasonable with some freebies.

:think: I dun think a portable storage is required as of yet unless you are really really trigger happy but there are many readily available in shops @ Funan, SLS etc

There are always outings and gathering organised by various CSers during weekdays and weekends. :) Join any one of them and have fun.

Its a good idea to get accquainted with the cam before using it on holidays else it might screw up your pictures during your holiday. It happened to my parents when they used my cam during their last holiday. ;)

happitreesmiles said:

np! hmmm, DSLR IS a big investment. I think I have dump 2K into it already, and thats is a small amount compare to many "da ge da jie" here in this forum. I had a prosumer before, regret buying it becos now i have my D70s, didnt really want to use my Z3 already :p Now sitting in the drybox.

I think for freebies, the most important maybe u can try to ask for is a standard bag to put ur cam in, and some memory cards. if you really really think u might go into DSLR next time, maybe you can look for a cam with CF cards. Then u need not change mem system next time.

eastgear is in peninsular 2nd floor ( www.eastgear.com ) i get my sanyo batts there. and the charger too, good price :p

i think those that can view images are more ex. anyway, u can always use ur cam to view and delete, so there is no issue. Base on my D70s, I can shoot 500 plus on Fine/Large mode, and over 2.1K on Basic/Large mode. If u are trigger happy, I suggest u get 2 or 4 GB can liao. provided you have the batt to support it too :p you can never get too many CF cards. But dont get until u get ur cam, and also decide to go for holiday. Cos price might drop. Maybe you get ur cam, go out shoot, then u will know how you roughly will need. But as i said, i prefer more cards than CFs. When I was using my Z3, I got 1 1GB, 2 512MB, 2 256MB, 1 64MB and 1 8MB. Wa haa haa.... Now I got a 2GB and a 512MB card.

Best Bargains@SLS 5 level gives good price. or active foto@SLS 2level also not bad.

try cathay photo@penisular/marina sq or alan foto@SLS/funan. thats the 2 places i go when i help frens to choose cameras :p the others that rebbot said also good.

or check out the BnS thread, sometimes can get good deals! of cos, get someone exp to go with u to check and test out the cam. :p

happy buying! enjoy photography!

rebbot said:
Its good to start with a camera with manual controls so you can play around before you take a leap in SLR cameras. :) Go to the usual suspects like MS Color, TK Foto, Cathay Photo and you can be quite sure the prices are pretty reasonable with some freebies.

:think: I dun think a portable storage is required as of yet unless you are really really trigger happy but there are many readily available in shops @ Funan, SLS etc

There are always outings and gathering organised by various CSers during weekdays and weekends. :) Join any one of them and have fun.

Its a good idea to get accquainted with the cam before using it on holidays else it might screw up your pictures during your holiday. It happened to my parents when they used my cam during their last holiday. ;)
PRO ADVICE!!!! :thumbsup:

If the camera does not come with a freebie tripod, get one... it is an essential gear for low light photography. My recommendation would be something that is not too heavy but at the same time sturdy enough to take the load of your camera plus whatever accessories you might want to add on.

Plenty of threads on tripod recommendations with the various brands available.. good ones. Happy hunting and enjoy.

../azul123

im new to photography too. i think if u are interested in photography, get a camera which u can set exposures manually. getting a p&s won't help u much in learning imho :) Canon S3 might be a good choice for u to start with if its within ur budget. it has manual controls and i think is pretty easy to use :)

and mostly importantly, enjoy shooting after u have bought ur camera!

wah, thks for all the responses! i think really a lot to go understand. 1st thing is to start planning to visit the shops and check out the prices. ;p hope the sales pple r friendly. wish me luck! :embrass:

so i shld start off w 1 memory card? 1GB? i read a gd brand is kingston? wat other brands are gd? how much do i expect to pay? and wats the diff btw high speed n standard? and the "___x" that they indicate? does it matter?

happitreesmiles said:
wah, thks for all the responses! i think really a lot to go understand. 1st thing is to start planning to visit the shops and check out the prices. ;p hope the sales pple r friendly. wish me luck! :embrass:

so i shld start off w 1 memory card? 1GB? i read a gd brand is kingston? wat other brands are gd? how much do i expect to pay? and wats the diff btw high speed n standard? and the "___x" that they indicate? does it matter?

kingston is pretty good and im using a 512mb and 2gb currently. the price for high speed one varies from brand to brand. if im not wrong the cheapest would be a-data, followed by kingston, lexar, sandisk. might be wrong tho but more or less there.
the "___x" simple means ___ x 150KB speed, the more the merrier :sweatsm:. but that is just the card speed under fully optimised condition which is not on a camera :sweat:.

so wat does this mean? is there an optimum or ok speed that i shld be getting??

any speed would be fine.

my fren using a normal sandisk 2GB on his D70, and it will shoots continously with glitch

happitreesmiles said:

If you want a friendly and handsome guy to talk to, look for James/Richard @ TK Foto (Located at Shaw Towers 2nd Level).

You can bother them the whole day and they should be able to advise you accordingly without rushing you to make a purchase. :thumbsup:

Beware that too good a deal often means the deal is not good.

espn said:
PRO ADVICE!!!! :thumbsup:

basket, like that also can hunt me down :sweat:

happitreesmiles said:

Just get the better high-speed ones and you can utilise them if you upgrade later on. Probably should try getting the 8GB one and you need only one. It should cost around $600? :devil:

rebbot said:
basket, like that also can hunt me down :sweat:
You are my Duo-D2X and Duo-70-200VR pro ma :thumbsup:

rebbot said:
Just get the better high-speed ones and you can utilise them if you upgrade later on. Probably should try getting the 8GB one and you need only one. It should cost around $600? :devil:
Provided that the camera the TS is looking out for has CF card slot. AFAIK to my limited knowledge, SD hasn't hit 8GB yet ;p

A Extreme III 8GB CF will be $650 thereabouts.

happitreesmiles said:

Kingston to me is cheap n good.. but don't get the normal speed one, get either the Elite or Ultimate as they are faster and will work well with cameras supporting faster write times. The price difference from the normal speed cards aren't much.. ;)

espn said:
If you want a friendly and handsome guy to talk to, look for James/Richard @ TK Foto (Located at Shaw Towers 2nd Level).

You can bother them the whole day and they should be able to advise you accordingly without rushing you to make a purchase. :thumbsup:

Beware that too good a deal often means the deal is not good.

TK Foto are one of the better shops I have dealt with. :thumbsup: Good service and extremely friendly guys! Prices are as good as anywhere else. Just tell them you know espn to get the best deals. :bsmilie:

rebbot said:
Just tell them you know espn to get the best deals. :bsmilie:
It won't work, try harder... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.