New to Pentax

killjoysg2000

Mar 15, 2007
Hi, i had recently sold a prosumer camera and was thinking of getting a DSLR. I came across the Pentax K-r and it seems that it is a mid range model that is quite affordable..more so than competing brands. As i am quite new to DSLR, my question is whether the kit lens DAL 18mm-55mm and 50mm-200mm good? am i better off getting the body only and get my lens elsewhere?

Although it's my first foray into the DSLR realm, i decided not to go with the more popular brands as i am quite confused with all the model number these brands churned out. When i chance upon the Pentax K-r's review, i was rather impressed by the capabilities of this DSLR and the price tag. Has anyone here been using the K-r? Able to share your opinion on you experience?

My other concern is the availability of lens since some of my friends mentioned that the variety of lens for Pentax is rather limited as compared to the major 2 brands. May i know how true is that? Sorry for the barrage of questions.

BTW, this forum is really a great place to source for information. Cheers. :)

I am newbie like you. I think the pentax range of camera is newbie friendly and not too intimitating. Bang for buck also.

Currently a k-x user. I think the K-R + 2 kit lens will give you the range to find out what you like to shoot and after mastering the basics at a very good price point, you can get a better lens in those focal lenght which you like in the future.

If you talk about lack of lens, i do not really think so . Rather i find myself lack of money for the many quality lens which i yearn for but cant afford at 1 go =)

Hope to see you join the pentax family soon!

K-r Kit with 18-55mm $921
k-r Kit with 18-55/50-200 $1070

The Pentax kit lenses are great lenses. There are many here who have started their journey with the kit lens and loved that lens.

Whoever said that Pentax lenses are limited has never seen the Pentax lenses in action and we have a great arsenal to select from. Even the Canikons buy our Pentax lens and convert the mount to fit the Canikon cameras . . .

Well since this is your first foray using a DSLR, it makes sense to buy the K-r bundled with at least the kit lens rather than a body alone. The DA 18-55mm and the DA 50-200mm are fine consumer grade lenses that would be able to cover most photo taking opportunities out there. It would get you started and allow you to weigh your needs before you start considering other lens options. The biggest issue is not availability but affordability because there are many combination of zoom and prime lenses from Pentax and third-party lenses to consider.

WOW! that nice to know. The Canikons do that?? hmmm...i am surprised..and yet at the same time relived to hear that. Yes, Felix, i know the price, all thanks to Ortega's extensive price guide =)

ayuready, nice to see a fellow newbie like me in this forum. Now the next thing for me to do is to get the K-r...haha... oh ya..if you guys don't mind my silly noobie question...i saw ppl in the forum here and there talking about upgrading firmware for the camera (ok, i'll admit, this is the first time i heard about upgrading of firmware on a camera!), how is it done?

Can say with conviction that the kit lenses are good both optically and build quality wise.

WOW! that nice to know. The Canikons do that?? hmmm...i am surprised..and yet at the same time relived to hear that. Yes, Felix, i know the price, all thanks to Ortega's extensive price guide =)

ayuready, nice to see a fellow newbie like me in this forum. Now the next thing for me to do is to get the K-r...haha... oh ya..if you guys don't mind my silly noobie question...i saw ppl in the forum here and there talking about upgrading firmware for the camera (ok, i'll admit, this is the first time i heard about upgrading of firmware on a camera!), how is it done?

Go to pentax website and download the update file,

Extract downloaded file
The following two files will be generated once the downloaded file is extracted by double-clicking:
- The text file that explains update procedure.
- The updated firmware file.
Copy updated firmware file to root directory of a blank formatted SD card
Insert SD card with new firmware, make sure camera battery is not depleted
Switch on camera while pressing the Menu button
Camera will prompt with firmware version and if you want to update firmware
Update firmware, wait until completion
Switch off camera, remove or reformat the SD card

Actually there is a readme note contain inside which will guide you step by step, can't go wrong;)

I start out with my k-x using 18-55 kit lens also and it is a really good little lens:)

Once u got the camera then we will teach u how...to upgrade Firmware. *evil grin*

Go to pentax website and download the update file,

Extract downloaded file
The following two files will be generated once the downloaded file is extracted by double-clicking:
- The text file that explains update procedure.
- The updated firmware file.
Copy updated firmware file to root directory of a blank formatted SD card
Insert SD card with new firmware, make sure camera battery is not depleted
Switch on camera while pressing the Menu button
Camera will prompt with firmware version and if you want to update firmware
Update firmware, wait until completion
Switch off camera, remove or reformat the SD card

Actually there is a readme note contain inside which will guide you step by step, can't go wrong;)

I start out with my k-x using 18-55 kit lens also and it is a really good little lens:)

ALAMAK! u spoil market la! :angry: :bsmilie:

Welcome. :)
The dual kit lenses will suffice for most needs. The problem is always one of budget and how one wants to get better lenses for diminishing returns. So for now, to start off, the kit lenses will/should do fine.

As to lens selection being limited. Only people unfamiliar with Pentax will claim that. This is the only brand that offers backward compatibility to its lenses since it began its K-mount (that is ~40yrs worth of lenses). Even ignoring old lenses, new ones cover the range well from Ultra wide angles used for landscapes to long telephotos up to 300mm. There are also 3rd party options for lenses. In fact the only problem will be what to buy and $$$ enough to buy them all :)

Hi, i had recently sold a prosumer camera and was thinking of getting a DSLR. I came across the Pentax K-r and it seems that it is a mid range model that is quite affordable..more so than competing brands. As i am quite new to DSLR, my question is whether the kit lens DAL 18mm-55mm and 50mm-200mm good? am i better off getting the body only and get my lens elsewhere?

Although it's my first foray into the DSLR realm, i decided not to go with the more popular brands as i am quite confused with all the model number these brands churned out. When i chance upon the Pentax K-r's review, i was rather impressed by the capabilities of this DSLR and the price tag. Has anyone here been using the K-r? Able to share your opinion on you experience?

My other concern is the availability of lens since some of my friends mentioned that the variety of lens for Pentax is rather limited as compared to the major 2 brands. May i know how true is that? Sorry for the barrage of questions.

1) Kit lens are fine, but you might find them limiting later on in terms of maximum aperture and focal length. Don't expect them to be great performers wide open as well, but that's something that you get with every lens... So. Nonetheless, they are cheap, and you won't mind keeping them around for sure.

2) I'm using the K-r, you can check out my gallery for some samples, more recent photos are taken with the K-r. Great little camera, superb image quality, great layout. I'm really used to the Pentax layout having used 3 Pentax models over 4-5 years, so.. Pentax is really doing it right with every subsequent model - from the K100D to the K20D, to the K-r, you can see that they are consciously making improvements based on customer's feedback, and not just trying to churn out more models (as you point out, like some other brands) to get more $$$.

Something to note is that you can take great pictures with any brand. Another thing you should keep in mind is that no brand is perfect. :)

3) It is true to a certain extent. Some third party models (e.g. Tamron 180mm macro) do come in K-mount. They probably perceive it as not being profitable to even come up with lenses for the Pentax mount. Nonetheless, there will always be other options.

Pentax lens line-up are very strong in the area of primes. None of the other brands offer such a comprehensive line-up, nor have so many pretty, beautiful lenses which are a joy to use. You must really feel a Limited lens to get what I mean. These are still optional though. As much as I can appreciate them, I am too poor to buy one.. :bsmilie:

can take a look at this thread http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847744

a few lens covering similar range is discussed here..so i guess the problem is not enough choice but too many choices and too little $ :bsmilie:

-DA 16-45
- DA*16-50
- Tamron 18-50 f2.8
- Sigma 17-70

Last edited:
Thanx alot guys! it's really nice to see all your prompt replies, and the fact that the forum is soo active. There's a wealth of information here for noobs like me. And with all your assurances, it really changed my view about Pentax. =)

actually, i'd suggest you go for the 55-300, instead of the 50-200 lens... the price difference for this kit is probably not more than $100-200... but u get an extra 100 mm of focal length

my wife and i are both newbies to photography ... we bought the k-x in sep, and fought so much over it, decided to buy another body, and got the k-r...

and again, as everyone has said, its not the lens availability, but the $$$ in the pocket... i have been eyeing a 50 mm f1.4 for so long... ;)

Once u got the camera then we will teach u how...to upgrade Firmware. *evil grin*

Haha, trying to tempt me ah??? honestly, i got sold after reading the reviews about K-r.. as i am new to DSLR (like i mentioned earlier)...it is still quite abit of money to be spent on my 1st DSLR..therefore....here i am...asking all your expert opinions before taking the plunge. ;)

Haha, trying to tempt me ah??? honestly, i got sold after reading the reviews about K-r.. as i am new to DSLR (like i mentioned earlier)...it is still quite abit of money to be spent on my 1st DSLR..therefore....here i am...asking all your expert opinions before taking the plunge. ;)

Experts have replied!! PLUNGE IN!! you will not regret. :devil: We are very very friendly Pentaxians

the K-r is good, my sister got convinced to switch to K-r after using mine. The kit lens is a good lens as well, i have used the 18-55mm and it is sharp and gives a good image when stopped down. i have also used the 55-300mm which is a very useful lens, very satisfied with the images as well.

i don't think there's a cheaper dslr model out there that's actually worth buying... :bsmilie:

i must admit that the lens variety are not as much as Canon or Nikon. But they are definitely more than sufficient for most. Don't worry, i bit the bullet even though my friends told me i will regret my pentax buy, but till now i am still a happy K-r owner.