New to Pentax

Hi guys,
I went to Funan with the intention of buying the K-r with kit II. I went over to Mini Chanllenger to buy as i was there last week to try out and their service was quite good.

However the salesman said they don't have stock for the kit II and recommended get the K-r + kit lens with the DA50-200mm F4-5.6ED WR lens saying its better than the kitII DAL lens. He quoted $1210 with free 8gb card + bag.

I finally bought it but on the way home i couldn't help feeling a little regret that i should have stick to my decision on the kit II package than to have paid more for the better lens. I hope its as good as what he claim to spend about $140 more.

Cheers

hmm...

SLR Revolution Hi, the price for the above dual kit WR = $1156
Ray from SLR Revolution

K-r is not weather-sealed...
the K-7 and K-5 are weather-sealed...
I'm not sure whether this is correct, but one main benefit of a WR lens (weather-resistance) can only be fully realised with a weather-sealed camera body...
Can the expert Pentaxians clarify this point??

Lets say you take a K-r with a 18-55 WR out in the rain.

The lens should be ok, as it has seals against moisture.
But the camera will not be ok as it has no seals.

Lets say you take a K-5 with a regular 18-55 lens.

The lens will not be ok as it has no seals.
The K-5 may not be ok also as the lens has no seals at the lens mount like a WR lens - water may seep in at the mount and get into the camera.

So it means K-r with WR lens not much point rite? And for a much higher price i should be getting dual WR lens instead of standard kit len + zoom WR lens.I think i have been taken for a ride.:cry:

So it means K-r with WR lens not much point rite? And for a much higher price i should be getting dual WR lens instead of standard kit len + zoom WR lens.I think i have been taken for a ride.:cry:

Places like Challenger sell at RRP. Normal camera shops sell below RRP. WE have been telling ppl to read the forums before they buy.

K-r is not weather-sealed so even with a 50-200WR not much point, BUT hey since you have bought it, take it out and go enjoy it. When you next upgrade to a K5 or better, you can still keep the 50-200 lens and just get the cam plus a 18-55WR lens

The WR zoom lens have better build quality than the regular non WR version, so its nice to have. Actually for a kit lens it has one of the best build quality among all the brands. I don't think there is much of a price difference either.

Thanks for your repy. Took me a while to cool down cos hate to be taken for a ride but i told my friend not to recommend them in future. I guess the best is to move forward and enjoy shooting with my new toy.

vsambrosio: me no ray leh. i am just another pentax user. :)

dun over-react lah... u compare the build quality of the DAL 18-55 with the DA50-200WR... its a pretty big difference.

plastic mount vs metal. quick shift. distance scale. all these things are value adding. u got a good lens there.

dun over-react lah... u compare the build quality of the DAL 18-55 with the DA50-200WR... its a pretty big difference.

plastic mount vs metal. quick shift. distance scale. all these things are value adding. u got a good lens there.

I have already told him all e pros and cons le. :)

Actually I prefer the Wr version then the dal . If I will to get , I will sure pay a bit more to get the Wr One. The build quality is much better