New to Forum and New to Digital SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

9mm

May 28, 2005
SINGAPORE
Hi all,

I was introduced to this forum. I am new (and not so new) to photography, and this is my maiden post. Let me explain. I have an old Nikon FM2 with a 35-105 lens which I last used in 1999/2000, and intermittently after that. I have been using digital compacts since, and I still have my old trusty Nikon 950, which I bought sometime in 2000. While this camera gives me great 4R pictures, I find that I cannot enlarge the pictures beyond 5R size. For enlargements, I still have to rely on my FM2.

I am now ready to take the plunge into the world of SLR digital photography, and I have narrowed my choices to these 3 brands: Canon (350D?), Nikon (D70 or 50?), Olympus (E-300?)

I want a camera to take pictures and do some enlargements (maybe up to Super 8R, and on occassion, to 12R).

I am inclined towards the Canon and Olympus (maybe because it's 8 megapixel?). Of course, if I can find a compelling reason to get the D70, I'll get it.

Is the 8mp better than the 6mp? What other factors do I have to look out for? Can you old timers provide some advice?

THanks a bunch.... Cheers

Mike

even a 4 megapixel will go up to 8R easily. the D70 files have no problems being blown up to 20x30 inches. my point is, if 12R is as big as you are going to go, dont get caught up comparing the megapixel count.

all 3 cameras are capable of wonderful work. if you have very specific needs for your photography, then you should list those and match them with the specifications of the cameras. otherwise, it probably comes down to ergonomics, in which case getting a hand on all three cameras and giving them a test drive would be a good idea before deciding.

I would suggest getting a 8mp camera if you are doing enlargements to 8R and above.

If you have a love for detail, 8mp is for you. even though its just 1/3 more pixels than a 6mp, the increase is still significant.

The 350D, D70 and D50 takes pictures at 3:2 ratio, which is the same ratio of film. This point should be worth considering if you do not wish to spend more time cropping the the photo if you choose to the e-300. (unless you print at S prefixed sizes)

Also, another point to consider is the variety of lenses available for each system.

Next, since you already have a nikon camera and an F-mount lens, you may be able use the lens interchangeably if your new camera is a nikon too

9mm said:
I want a camera to take pictures and do some enlargements (maybe up to Super 8R, and on occassion, to 12R).

I am inclined towards the Canon and Olympus (maybe because it's 8 megapixel?). Of course, if I can find a compelling reason to get the D70, I'll get it.

Is the 8mp better than the 6mp? What other factors do I have to look out for?

Apart from image sensor specifications, I would also consider build quality and handling, which can be highly subjective. For example, some modern (d)SLRs have quite horrible viewfinders which are virtually useless for manual focusing.

While higher resolution is generally desirable, going from 6 to 8 megapixels will only result in a 15% increase in linear resolution.

How much the pictures can enlarged is also highly subjective and depends on the image. If looking closely at a picture, 300 dpi resolution (a bit less than a tenth of a millimeter) is a good baseline, but larger prints may be viewed from a somewhat larger distance. There are also tricks to visually mask a lack of resolution similarly to what film does.

Thanks all for your comments. I will definitely go try all 3. I have a couple of more questions:

1. Can an F-mount manual lens fit digital? I believe it can be mounted, but what about functions? My 35-105, when mounted on friend's F80, lost almost all functions except manual exposure, if I remember.

2. What is this thingy called "crop factor"? Have been reading and cannot understand.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

You need to go test out the 3 cameras. 350D's grip may not be to your liking (small), but the camera is small and easier to carry around. E-300 is using 4/3 system, not the traditional photo size of 3:2. Then again, there are a lot of pple who love it. D70.... Hmmmm... Read the threads on D70 failure... Go test all 3... And decide which you like. All 3 are basically good cameras.

To answer your questions:

1. F mount lenses can be mounted on digital, but you lose all exposure modes except Manual. Means you focus, select shutter, select aperature all by yourself. And the camera's meter won't help you. Everything DIY. I have used several manual lenses this way.

2. Crop factor: On the D70 its 1.5. It means, basically that a len's focal length gets multiplied by 1.5 times. Good for longer range lenses but you lose on the wide angle end. Eg, a 20mm lens would have a field of view of a 30mm (1.5 x 20=30).

If you are into sports shooting, its very useful. My 200mm lens becomes a 300mm!! On the other hand, your wide angle 35mm suddenly seems so constricted...

Hope this helps...

A little more on crop factor (aka "focal length multiplier", which is a bit misleading)...

In essence, your focal length doesn't get changed. A 50mm lens on the D70 or any DSLR with a crop factor remains as a 50mm lens. It doesn't turn into a 50 x 1.5 = 75mm lens. Hence, the basic characterists of the lens doesn't change, e.g. the depth-of-field, for instance.

What is does, though, is that it captures an image of a size as though a 75mm lens was fitted on a 35mm film camera (or what is known as full frame in DSLR jargon). It only changes the field of view, and it's made in comparsion relative to the 35mm frame.

Knowing the crop factor is more useful for those already familar with 35mm photography so that they don't get a shock upon seeing that their wide-angle lens suddenly doesn't become so "wide" anymore. At the longer end, it gives an illusion that a 200mm lens suddenly becomes a 300mm lens, but the fact is that the sides of the image gets "cropped out" relative to a 35mm frame.

A very good way to visually understand what I'm saying is to mount the same lens on both a DSLR with a crop factor and on an SLR, and see the difference through the viewfinder. This is especially (and painfully!) obvious with wide-angle lenses.

And oh yes, welcome to ClubSNAP! Hope you find this community benefical, and will soon be part of the community too! :thumbsup:

My 2 cents advice would be to get the Canon or Nikon systems instead, since they are established systems. In my opinion, the Olympus E system is relatively infant and thus have less options in terms of accessories and user support.

Both offerings from Canon and Nikon and good, and since you're jumping in from an MF SLR, there's not much more incentive to stick to Nikon compared to Canon since the lens you have doesn't have full capabilities when mounted on a Nikon DSLR.

For me, megapixel counts less (6MP and 8MP doesn't make a whole lot of a difference) in deciding compared to image quality, ergonomics and overall performance. My best advice is still to go to a reputable camera shop and spend a considerable amount of time playing with the different cameras that you narrowed down.

Welcome , D70, D50 , 350D n E300 is all good digital cameras, also consider the systerm you are about to invest in.

PC show is coming this weekend , take a look first before buying !

stout said:
Welcome , D70, D50 , 350D n E300 is all good digital cameras, also consider the systerm you are about to invest in.

PC show is coming this weekend , take a look first before buying !

Thanks to all... PC show only limited to this weekend? Will it be on during the weekdays? Cos every weekend busy leh... Or must really find time to go?

Ah Pao said:
And oh yes, welcome to ClubSNAP! Hope you find this community benefical, and will soon be part of the community too! :thumbsup:

My 2 cents advice would be to get the Canon or Nikon systems instead, since they are established systems. In my opinion, the Olympus E system is relatively infant and thus have less options in terms of accessories and user support.

Both offerings from Canon and Nikon and good, and since you're jumping in from an MF SLR, there's not much more incentive to stick to Nikon compared to Canon since the lens you have doesn't have full capabilities when mounted on a Nikon DSLR.

For me, megapixel counts less (6MP and 8MP doesn't make a whole lot of a difference) in deciding compared to image quality, ergonomics and overall performance. My best advice is still to go to a reputable camera shop and spend a considerable amount of time playing with the different cameras that you narrowed down.

Hi Ah Pao,

Thanks for your inputs.

The only reputable camera shop I know is Cathay Photo, and when I went in today during lunch time, there are loads of people and everyone ignored me!!

Is it always this crowded? Or are there any other shops to go to? I am quite fearful of Sim Lim. In fact, I NEVER buy anything there eversince 1994, when I nearly got cheated there. Can't really remember the incident, but don't like that place.

fuzzy said:
I would suggest getting a 8mp camera if you are doing enlargements to 8R and above.

If you have a love for detail, 8mp is for you. even though its just 1/3 more pixels than a 6mp, the increase is still significant.

The 350D, D70 and D50 takes pictures at 3:2 ratio, which is the same ratio of film. This point should be worth considering if you do not wish to spend more time cropping the the photo if you choose to the e-300. (unless you print at S prefixed sizes)

Also, another point to consider is the variety of lenses available for each system.

Next, since you already have a nikon camera and an F-mount lens, you may be able use the lens interchangeably if your new camera is a nikon too

go read the articles on the megapixel myth ... worth the read .. just do a google search on it and u'll come up with a number of them worth reading ...

as for the 4/3 system, it produces images with width:height ratio of 4:3 ... and printing at S prefixed sizes is for 3:2 ratio ...

Photo print sizes for 35mm format
3R (3" x 5")
4R (4" x 6")
5R (5" x 7")
6R (6" x 8")
8R (8" x 10")
S8R (8" x 12")
10R (10" x 12")
S10R (10" x 15")

so printing at 8R, unless you print at S8R u'll still have to crop your 3:2 format image.

not sure if u wanna jump the 4/3 bandwagon though ... i'm a d70 user, but i've used the e300 before, and the magic of it is even its 'economy' lenses produce stunning images and can resolve huge amounts of detail, check the oly forum section or ask the oly pro users.

The only reputable camera shop I know is Cathay Photo, and when I went in today during lunch time, there are loads of people and everyone ignored me!!

can try Alan Photo, MsColor, John 3:16 and a few others i can't remember ... prefer MsColor though .. simply cos of the nice prices and service from Aunty Florence =X haha ... and its proximity from my place =)

I think currently, if you are ok with all three system, the D70s offer the best "value" in terms of pricing. Current Canon price for 350D is rather inflated.

don't forget that the kit lens for the D70s is very good. MUCH better than 350D kit lens

Expiredyoghurt said:
go read the articles on the megapixel myth ... worth the read .. just do a google search on it and u'll come up with a number of them worth reading ...

as for the 4/3 system, it produces images with width:height ratio of 4:3 ... and printing at S prefixed sizes is for 3:2 ratio ...

so printing at 8R, unless you print at S8R u'll still have to crop your 3:2 format image.

not sure if u wanna jump the 4/3 bandwagon though ... i'm a d70 user, but i've used the e300 before, and the magic of it is even its 'economy' lenses produce stunning images and can resolve huge amounts of detail, check the oly forum section or ask the oly pro users.

can try Alan Photo, MsColor, John 3:16 and a few others i can't remember ... prefer MsColor though .. simply cos of the nice prices and service from Aunty Florence =X haha ... and its proximity from my place =)

Couple of things I need to check with you pple:

1. Yes, read on the megapixel myth. Higher does not mean images better. But higher means can crop more. Correct?

2. Found out Alan photo is in Sim Lim. Well..... Sim Lim.... Who do I contact? Or is it a "to-avoid" shop? John 3:16, hmmm... Christian shop? Then must be good?

3. Where's this MS Colour? Heard it mentioned few times though, and this "Florence" fellow... Who's she? / where's shop??

9mm said:
Couple of things I need to check with you pple:

1. Yes, read on the megapixel myth. Higher does not mean images better. But higher means can crop more. Correct?

2. Found out Alan photo is in Sim Lim. Well..... Sim Lim.... Who do I contact? Or is it a "to-avoid" shop? John 3:16, hmmm... Christian shop? Then must be good?

3. Where's this MS Colour? Heard it mentioned few times though, and this "Florence" fellow... Who's she? / where's shop??

1) Higer mpx means you can crop more without much loss of image quality

2) Not sure about that ;p

3) MS Color : in Ang Mo Kio, very near to the big S11 food center. www.mscolor.com.sg
Florence is a very friendly lady around there, Think she can make most of the decision on "discounts and gifts" and me too always get my quotation direct frm her :D

9mm said:
Thanks to all... PC show only limited to this weekend? Will it be on during the weekdays? Cos every weekend busy leh... Or must really find time to go?
PC show does not sell digital cameras.

Dear all,

After all comments and trying out all the cameras, I have decided to go for the Canon system, namely the 350D. I like it precisely because of its small size, which, I have read in other parts of the forum, does not go well with a lot of people. Now... to find time to go down to either John 3:16 / MS Colour. I managed to locate MS colour but there was no "lady Florence" there. All men... Maybe she was taking a leak when I went there?

Oh well... try again...

wind30 said:
I think currently, if you are ok with all three system, the D70s offer the best "value" in terms of pricing. Current Canon price for 350D is rather inflated.

don't forget that the kit lens for the D70s is very good. MUCH better than 350D kit lens

Found out:
1. D70s: 1888 with kit lens
2. 350D: 1999 with kit lens + 1GB CF card

Question: Can anyone comment how the Nikon's kit lens is "better" than the Canon's one? In terms of reach? OR?...

Please help... otherwise I may buy the 350D and regret later...

9mm said:
Found out:
1. D70s: 1888 with kit lens
2. 350D: 1999 with kit lens + 1GB CF card

Question: Can anyone comment how the Nikon's kit lens is "better" than the Canon's one? In terms of reach? OR?...

Please help... otherwise I may buy the 350D and regret later...
There are many reviews on both lenses that you can check out. In fact, using the Nikon kit lens was surprised by the quality considering its price (rated 4 by Bjørn Rørslett as well as by Thom Hogan).

Another way to look at it: the resale price. The Nikon lens can be sold new at around S$400, while the Canon one is around S$100.

From my experience with the 350d kit lens. The lens itself has pretty poor contrast, and makes everything slightly washed out. The only reason i went with it is because i had other lenses and it's light n small. Other than that i'd prob have gotten a d50 with the extras on better lenses.

It's pretty likely though that you'd end up buying another lens within a year, unless you drop the whole photog thing, esp if you check out the great pics here.

Status
Not open for further replies.