New to DSLRs: Pls advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane25

Feb 5, 2007
Singapore, Singapore
Hi guys!

I've been playing around with point and shoots for a while now. And i think it's time i went into DSLRs.
However, the wide variety of prosumer cameras in the market now are really mind-boggling.
I'm thinking of getting one DSLR and get into some photography class to learn stuff.
Please recommend some cameras that i can take into consideration.
No budget for now, but am concerned with the progressive purchasing of lens (i heard those cost a bomb).
Need something versatile, able to do portrait shots and scenery shots (or are the lens able to decide its capabilities?)

Thanks in advance!

decide what are the stuffs u want to shoot.
for example like u said portrait and scenary shots, do some research on what kind of lens is suitable for those shots. most ppl use wide angle for scenaries, and portraits, mid-teles.
see which brand's lineup of lens suitable for u. have a feel of the DSLR body to see if its comfortable.
these are the more important points to take note when choosing dslr :) good luck!

Thanks for the prompt reply :)

I'm already doing some read-up.
borrowed the "popular photography" magazine from the library.
the jargons used are killing me.
anyone can recommend some easy-to-read, yet comprehensive general info on DSLRs for newbies who're getting their 1st SLRs?

Oh, and where's the best place to make the purchase? PC shows or sim lim? or? ;p

imho.....
pc shows, nehhhh
sim lim, nehhhhhh (only AP)
i would go to CP, john, tk, ms color :)

Thanks for the prompt reply :)

I'm already doing some read-up.
borrowed the "popular photography" magazine from the library.
the jargons used are killing me.
anyone can recommend some easy-to-read, yet comprehensive general info on DSLRs for newbies who're getting their 1st SLRs?

Oh, and where's the best place to make the purchase? PC shows or sim lim? or? ;p

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=257414

No budget for now, but am concerned with the progressive purchasing of lens (i heard those cost a bomb).
Need something versatile, able to do portrait shots and scenery shots (or are the lens able to decide its capabilities?)

Do not be trapped into the illusion of progressive purchasing of lens.

You had stated your objectives -portraits and scenery.

I have an Olympus E1 with a 14-54 mm lens. Only one lens for this camera. It takes care of 97% of my requirements, from scenery to portraits, and even some modest macros!

Yes, there are certain things this combo cannot do (well). I cannot take a closed-up picture of a hawk flying 50 meters away. But do I care? I do not, because I have no interest in such images. If one day, I might decide to be a wildlife photographer, I will get the appropriate equipment.

For now, I am quite happy with my set up. If I had to WANT just ONE more lens, it would be something like a prime lens with 1.4 aperture. But it really is not necessary.

Hi guys!

I've been playing around with point and shoots for a while now. And i think it's time i went into DSLRs.
However, the wide variety of prosumer cameras in the market now are really mind-boggling.
I'm thinking of getting one DSLR and get into some photography class to learn stuff.
Please recommend some cameras that i can take into consideration.

Thanks in advance!

take a look at the canon 30D and D200 and work your system up from there...highly recommended...

Get a Sony A100 with a 50mm f/1.4 lens or the best portrait lens out there... 85mm G.

I also only take scenary and portraits and a beginner like you too.

The lens you need is probably a WA and a telephoto prime.

Example:
Nikon
1) tokina 12-24, 85mm f1.8
olympus
2) 11-22 zuiko, 50mm f2.

For beginners, I think olympus E500 twin kit lens set at RPP $1199 is very good value.

For that you get
E500, 14-45, 40-150 lens. Both the kit lens are very good quality, better than canon's and similar to nikons. But nikon don't have such a good deal unless you are talking about the D40 which is crippled from the lack of AF motor, you cannot AF with nikkor 85mm primes.....

The oly 14-45 is good for scenary while the 40-150 is acceptable for portraits.

it fair is coming in mar 2007. you can go n check for packages which comes with more freebies like extra memory cards or third party batteries..

2nd option is buy from advertisers @ CS.com which sell pretty low prices compared to shops. the equipment has international warranty as well.

the cheapest n last option is to buy grey sets which is brand new but w/o warranty at all.
Hope this helps...

yea, probably going to wait for the IT show in mar and see if they have some good deals there. also looking out for basic photography courses. someone recommended that i go to the "substation" at city hall area.

so many brands to choose from :confused:
is the D80 good?
can a budget of 1.5k buy me a decent camera with lens?

so many brands to choose from :confused:
is the D80 good?
can a budget of 1.5k buy me a decent camera with lens?
top up to 1.9k and u get a good body and lens. :thumbsup:
1.5k you get a good body and a good body cap. no lens.

hmm. my advice would be to know how to actually use a dslr without even getting one, then get one. read up?

hmm. my advice would be to know how to actually use a dslr without even getting one, then get one. read up?
actually most doesn't know how to use until they got one themselves... its pretty hard to learn without having one beside you.

my 2c.

thanks for all the advice! you guys are really patient and nice to newbies!
great forum, great people.

my friend insists that i join this forum for my photography needs. now i know why :bsmilie:
i'm still reading up on the basics, hopefully can understand enough to make a decent choice of my first DSLR.
won't hesitate to post any more enquiries here. ;p

happy chinese new year to all! gong xi fa cai! ;)

one way is to check out the B&S forum for second hand bodies. If you do your homework, you can pick up a used body for very cheap. And can sell it of without a loss if you don't like the feel of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.