New to DSLR.

Bryson

Mar 16, 2010
Singapore
brysonwong.tumblr.com
Hi guys!
Recently, at the IT show, i got a Canon 500D Kit II which is well within my current budget. I'm going to be investing and be in this hobby for a long term. As I'm basically a newbie, i got a few questions to ask, hope you guys dont mind. ;)

1. What brands/type of filter should i get for my daily use?
2. I'm waiting for my pay to come in to get a dry cabi, so currently, how should i maintain and keep my DSLR?
3. Are there any local online shops that caters to us?
4. Is it recommended to attend our local first timer free training workshop for Canon products?

Thanks in advance! :D

Last edited:
Hello...welcome.

Answers to your questions:

1. Try Hoya, if you want to spend more get the B+W
2. Use it often and keep it dry. Can try storing it in the camera bag with some silica gel
3. Yes, do a search
4. Yes

Thanks for the reply!
Whats the difference between Hoya and B + W? Is Phottix good too?
Dont mind PM me some links? Been searching the net for 1 hour and found nothing, i'm not good in searching via the net. :(

Dont mind PM me some links? Been searching the net for 1 hour and found nothing, i'm not good in searching via the net. :(

Erm. You can search here in ClubSnap.

And it's not hard to google for "singapore online photography shop"

Thanks for the fast reply guys! Really appreciated. :)
Using filter over the lens, will the lens hood/cover able to fit it back into the lens with the filter on?
How do i measure the width or length of the lens for the filter? Using a ruler or...? Mine is a EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

1. What brands/type of filter should i get for my daily use?
2. I'm waiting for my pay to come in to get a dry cabi, so currently, how should i maintain and keep my DSLR?
3. Are there any local online shops that caters to us?
4. Is it recommended to attend our local first timer free training workshop for Canon products?

1. Just grap a UV filter any brand like Tokina/Hoya will suffice
2. Don't wait go buy one now like a 30litres will do. Use CC if necessary.
3. Google will be your best friend, Just click here
4. Yes, in fact go for the Basic & proficiency classes that can be foundhere

Good luck:devil:

Thanks for the fast reply guys! Really appreciated. :)
Using filter over the lens, will the lens hood/cover able to fit it back into the lens with the filter on?
How do i measure the width or length of the lens for the filter? Using a ruler or...? Mine is a EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Yes the lens hood cover will be able to fit back into the lens with the filter on.
For EF S 18-200mm, your filter size should be 72mm. Writen on the front of your lens.

Welcome to CS:)

No need to worry about the dry cabi if you're bringing your gear with you everyday. Also helps if you clean your lenses regularly.

I bought my dry cabi after 6 months, mainly because I was accumulating lenses at an alarming rate...

Mass Sales section have many lobangs for yout o choose from and buy online. You can even shoot your questions before buying if in doubts. They are glad to help you.

Happy Shooting