new to DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

netchat

Nov 8, 2003
East
www.nitaki.com.sg
sorry, have to create another tread as now subject is more clear now..

wat is the cheapest DSLR in the market now?? as my fren wana try on a DSLR to able to take nice potrait photo (the person is in focus and the rear is blur)

or should she get a 2nd hand one instead??

thx for reading and your suggestion

Shawn

The cheapest would be Sony A230 or Pentax if you want a brand new cam. The Olympus is not too expensive also.
The Sony A230 is selling under $650 brand new in the shops. If your friend top up a little for the extended warranty, she can get a 50mm f1.8 lens for free and the lens is good enough for portraits.

Pentax K-x is COOL!! haha but i dono the price compared to Sony A230.. :embrass:

wat is the cheapest DSLR in the market now?? as my fren wana try on a DSLR to able to take nice potrait photo (the person is in focus and the rear is blur)

Shawn
blurred background....you are going to need maybe F1.4 or faster lens if you are looking for superb bokeh.

cheaper method is to use zoom lens.

Shawn

"the person is in focus and the rear is blur"

The term use is "Bokeh"... i'm myself is new to dslr :)
More info here.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

"the person is in focus and the rear is blur"

The term use is "Bokeh"... i'm myself is new to dslr :)
More info here.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

No. The term is "Subject separation".

The *quality* (not the amount!!!) of the out-of-focus blur is called bokeh.

Please don't teach other newbies the wrong terms.

Brand new Sony a230 with kit lens cost $600. Add $230 to extend warranty for 2 more yrs (total 3yrs) and u can get a 50mm f1.8 lens for free. That lens is very good for portraits as it produce very very nice bokeh..

If u don wanna get the extend warranty promotion u can still buy the lens seperately, for $190-200.

Btw do NOT buy from Sony shops or mega stores like courts...

A cheaper alternative is to buy 2nd hand. I've saw a a350 + lens being sold for $550 a few days ago. If buying a230 will be much cheaper.

Last edited:
Brand new Sony a230 with kit lens cost $600. Add $230 to extend warranty for 2 more yrs (total 3yrs) and u can get a 50mm f1.8 lens for free. That lens is very good for portraits as it produce very very nice bokeh..

If u don wanna get the extend warranty promotion u can still buy the lens seperately, for $190-200.

Btw do NOT buy from Sony shops or mega stores like courts...

A cheaper alternative is to buy 2nd hand. I've saw a a350 + lens being sold for $550 a few days ago. If buying a230 will be much cheaper.

can pm me where to get 600?

can pm me where to get 600?

Look at the list of recommended stores that are mentioned over and over and over again... Then call them.

pentax also ok..it come with 2 kit lens..price 700+..

Look at the list of recommended stores that are mentioned over and over and over again... Then call them.

err.......instead of calling all the shops, since you already know where to get $600, why don't give me a hint? I tried MS and a few other store, no $600 leh.

err.......instead of calling all the shops, since you already know where to get $600, why don't give me a hint? I tried MS and a few other store, no $600 leh.
Its one thing to call a store and another to walk in and ask for pricing.

Different shop give different prices depending on the person and how well u bargain, so u should ask urself. It doesn't take much effort to call or email them.

Last edited:
The cheapest would be Sony A230 or Pentax if you want a brand new cam. The Olympus is not too expensive also.
The Sony A230 is selling under $650 brand new in the shops. If your friend top up a little for the extended warranty, she can get a 50mm f1.8 lens for free and the lens is good enough for portraits.

Hi,

Writing to seek yr professional advice on DSLR

now i got a few choice on my tight budget below 800 - 1k

1. Nikon D3000
2. Canon 450D or 1000D
3. Olyplus E450 with 2 lens

i also looking to take depth of field and sometime night shot

but after reading yr reply on bokeh

im currently using Fujitfilm S5700 i not sure depth of field need to really get a DSLR or my S5700 will be able to do the job just tat some setting or need to add on some extra item.

i still looking at sony A230 also since u are mention this model and the price is quite ok with extened warranty plus a foc 50mm F1.8 for DOF taking.

Regards

im currently using Fujitfilm S5700 i not sure depth of field need to really get a DSLR or my S5700 will be able to do the job just tat some setting or need to add on some extra item.

Your S5700 will struggle a bit due to it's smaller sensor size and smaller lenses.

Hi,

1. Nikon D3000
2. Canon 450D or 1000D

i still looking at sony A230 also since u are mention this model and the price is quite ok with extened warranty plus a foc 50mm F1.8 for DOF taking.

Regards

Basically, the cameras you have listed are pretty ok.

The Canon 450D is an older model but still can get the job done but I think you will have to get a 2nd hand one.

Olympus colors are very nice but do note that the sensor size is smaller than the Nikon, Canon and Sony's. A lot of people would feel that the noise level is an issue and the bokeh is not as good as the others with a bigger sensor. You may want to see for yourself if it's ok.

For the Sony A230, personally I find the grip pretty small for my big hands. You may want to try it out at the shop. I would suggest that you get a Sony A500 instead if you can increase your budget slightly. The cam is awesome and will last you longer before the next upgrade. Do not get the cam from the Sony Style shops as they are selling at R.R.P. the recommended shops outside will sell at a cheaper price. ;)

Hi,

1. Nikon D3000
2. Canon 450D or 1000D

Regards

I think that you meant to say "i'm looking to take photos with thin depth of field..."
A DSLR makes this easier to achieve, because the sensor size affects the field of view from a lens with the same focal length.
I hope I have not confused you even further.

Essentially, IMO, you can either look for the latest and cheapest DSLR or not exactly the latest model but 2nd hand and a price similar to the latest but cheapest DSLR.

In other words, you can either get a new $1,000 DSLR (like Canon's 1000D, 450D) or a 2nd hand $2,000 DSLR at $1,000 or close. Whichever DSLR you're getting, it should suffice your needs as a starter or casual trigger-happy photographer as there's always better equipment.

On seperate note, achieving shallow depth of field DOF is one of the advantages of getting DSLR. That said, to achieve a more dramatic (very shallow) DOF, a lens with large aperture will give you a more pleasing result. For instance, the very inexpensive but good Canon 50mm f/1.8 only at ~$120. f/1.8 is the maximum aperture value you can use. The smaller the f/number the larger the aperture opening, the shallower your DOF.

Another way is to compose your shots by using the tele end of the zoom lens, say 18-55mm lens at 55mm. This is to get a compressed backgound to achieve the 'blur background' look. Also, the farther the distance between subject and background, the more apparent the background blur (bokeh) will be.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.