New to DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladdin

May 8, 2009
Hi all, I am new to this forum. I took photography as a hobby some 15 years back with a couple of Nikons'. But lost touch with the hobby and the market even before the DSLRs' came about. Now I hope to pick it up again but am looking around for some newer gears.

I see that Nikon D70 and D80 seems to have a lot of buzz. 500D seems not bad. The D40 with the dual lenses package looks attractive.

I am unfamiliar with Canons but I heard they have some good advantages over Nikon. I am game to try. The EOS 450D, 500D and 1000D kits seems enticing.

So could anyone help me by recommending some good Nikon and Canon gears to invest in? And also can anyone advise if my old Nikon AF lenses are usable on the new DSLR bodies?

Thank you very much. :cheers:

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I took photography as a hobby some 15 years back with a couple of Nikons'. But lost touch with the hobby and the market even before the DSLRs' came about. Now I hope to pick it up again but am looking around for some newer gears.

I see that Nikon D70 and D80 seems to have a lot of buzz. 500D seems not bad. The D40 with the dual lenses package looks attractive.

I am unfamiliar with Canons but I heard they have some good advantages over Nikon. I am game to try. The EOS 450D, 500D and 1000D kits seems enticing.

So could anyone help me by recommending some good Nikon and Canon gears to invest in? And also can anyone advise if my old Nikon AF lenses are usable on the new DSLR bodies?

The lower end ones will not auto focus with ur af lens look out for models with built in motor like D70 d80 d90 d200 d300 d700 d3 d3x

I see. I have read about the few you recommended. Within a budget, what would be the better investment among them? D90 seems to have a very high rating on some reviews.

Last edited:
i prefer 500D and i recomend investing on the 70-200 f/4L lens for telephoto as the focusing is really fast. errm the kit lens can be good for macro and wide angle. i recomend tokina lens for wide angle. i recently bought a tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8 and the effects of it is really solid!
well after all, if u nid a further zoom with the f/4l lens u can buy those tele convertor to zoom in 2 times further

I just went to try the Nikon D5000 and the Canon 500D. Good stuffs.:thumbsup:

Hi Bro, Anyway, I shall welcome you to CS! ;)

The lower end ones will not auto focus with ur af lens look out for models with built in motor like D70 d80 d90 d200 d300 d700 d3 d3x

yup... thats one distinct thing canon have over nikon

lenses are pretty much all fully compatible, none of this af,mf inbuilt motor crap

personally im a canon guy and i reckon nowdays their killin it with their consumer models that, if used properly, can quite easily take very nice pictures...

id recomend lookin at the 350d,450d or 500d if ur buying new...
if 2nd hand maybe take a shot at a 40D or 5D mkI... both great cameras that are fairly cheap nowdays

I'd suggest 450D, if your budget is not really high, save the extra bucks to get essentials or maybe another lens like the 50mm f/1.8 or 55-250mm. Never used a nikon before, but D80 and D90 both looks good on paper, see which one best fit your budget, you need to remember, it's not only the camera, there's also other things you need to take into account, filters, tripods, lens, dry cabinet.

nikon d3!!!

canon mark d III!!!

jokes aside, why do you not consider other brands?
if you have old nikon af, then you can consider nikon d90

the thing is, the d5000 and d60 and d40 and d40x need lenses with af motor, doubt your nikon af lenses will have that.

personally im a canon guy and i reckon nowdays their killin it with their consumer models that, if used properly, can quite easily take very nice pictures...

all cameras can take very nice pictures, given the right conditions and the user understanding fully the limitations and strengths of the cameras, even a pok kai handphone camera can produce nice stuff.

in any case, something higher end will lessen the limitations, that's for sure, but i'm going to be fair here and say that any brand dslr can taken very nice pictures, not just canon.

all cameras can take very nice pictures, given the right conditions and the user understanding fully the limitations and strengths of the cameras, even a pok kai handphone camera can produce nice stuff.

in any case, something higher end will lessen the limitations, that's for sure, but i'm going to be fair here and say that any brand dslr can taken very nice pictures, not just canon.

i 100% agree, even though i'm a canon fan. hehe.

lenses are pretty much all fully compatible, none of this af,mf inbuilt motor crap

if 2nd hand maybe take a shot at a 40D or 5D mkI... both great cameras that are fairly cheap nowdays

Wah lau eh.... make this sort of comment... like trying to start a fight like that... i'm so hurt by your 'crap' comment...

to TS (Paladdin):

1) What's your budget?
2) What AF lenses do you currently own?

might help decide if it's worthwhile to stick with Nikon.
D90 replaces the discontinued D80. It is pretty much the same size, physically, but has superior internal specs, chief among which is the larger and sharper 3" screen from the D3/D700/D300. Also noise control at high ISOs is much better than D80. Of course the price is also a lot 'nicer'.

If you're on a budget, and wish to make use of your AF lenses, you may consider a 2nd hand D70 or D80 body. Either one should be going for <$800, with the D70 even cheaper than that.

trolling is :nono: you can take that as a warning
brand wars is also a :nono:

btw you should actually research your history first before making this kind of comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount

Last edited:
Wooohoo...chill out dudes :sweatsm: Different brands will have their pros and cons and of course, their own fans. I believe we are all photography enthusiasts, not paid-brand-ambassadors...please own up if you are one.:bsmilie:

Let's choose our battles wisely...not all are worth fighting over. Fight terrorism, prejudices, pandemics and global warming. :cool: The more important factor, in my opinion, is the person behind the viewfinder taking the shot.

ZerocoolAstra. For budget whilst, I hope not to spend anything above $1500 for a good kit. I have got three old Nikons bodies, two AF and two MF lenses (all MIJ-Made in Japan). I read on the forum that the D80 can support older AF lenses. One old uncle at AH told me that the D90 can too but not the D5000. He told me not to invest too much into a DSLR as electronics have not much resale market value.

Personally, I think the older (MIJ) Nikons are great but for technology whilst, I am game to try the Canons' and since they are (MIJ), maybe they have better keep value...I dunno...:think:...I can use back most if not all of my old gears if I get a D80/90 but I was shocked to find out that Nikons are now Made in Thailand. :bigeyes:

The objective of my hunt for a DSLR is because I don't want to screw up after doing portrait shots, wasted everybody's time and when the film is developed, found that the shots are lousy because of my rusty skills. So I thought having a preview panel would help me in a way.

Last edited:
Thanks Kentjr, DrSpock and all you guys for your warm welcome. :)

woah... come back and im being flamed haha

guys please know im not trying to start a brand war haha
to each his own wether yellow or red :D

im just a canon person and im saying that in my humber opinion as one of 6 billion people on the planet one advantage of canon is that all their cameras work on a simple either EF or EF-S system rather then the (at a glance) complicated looking system of nikon lenses
chill out jeez haha

Last edited:
woah... come back and im being flamed haha

guys please know im not trying to start a brand war haha
to each his own wether yellow or red

im just a canon person and im saying that in my humber opinion as one of 6 billion people on the planet one advantage of canon is that all their cameras work on a simple either EF or EF-S system rather then the (at a glance) complicated looking system of nikon lenses
chill out jeez haha

Ok point noted.
I did want to comment further on this, but it encroaches on comparing Nikon and Canon, so I think I'll just keep my personal opinions at that... personal.

Wooohoo...chill out dudes :sweatsm: Different brands will have their pros and cons and of course, their own fans. I believe we are all photography enthusiasts, not paid-brand-ambassadors...please own up if you are one.

Let's choose our battles wisely...not all are worth fighting over. Fight terrorism, prejudices, pandemics and global warming. The more important factor, in my opinion, is the person behind the viewfinder taking the shot.

ZerocoolAstra. For budget whilst, I hope not to spend anything above $1500 for a good kit. I have got three old Nikons bodies, two AF and two MF lenses (all MIJ-Made in Japan). I read on the forum that the D80 can support older AF lenses. One old uncle at AH told me that the D90 can too but not the D5000. He told me not to invest too much into a DSLR as electronics have not much resale market value.

Personally, I think the older (MIJ) Nikons are great but for technology whilst, I am game to try the Canons' and since they are (MIJ), maybe they have better keep value...I dunno...:think:...I can use back most if not all of my old gears if I get a D80/90 but I was shocked to find out that Nikons are now Made in Thailand. :bigeyes:

The objective of my hunt for a DSLR is because I don't want to screw up after doing portrait shots, wasted everybody's time and when the film is developed, found that the shots are lousy because of my rusty skills. So I thought having a preview panel would help me in a way.

D80 and D90 (and all the Nikon DSLRs above them) have autofocus motors, so you should be able to autofocus with your Nikon AF lenses. MF, obviously, is MF either way you look at it. D80 is already discontinued, but you may still find it new somewhere if you're lucky, or 2nd hand. Many people selling.
D90 is a very new model, to replace the D80. You have the choice to buy it as body only (saves some $$) and use your current lenses, or with a kit lens. I would get the D90 kit if I were you. If the kit lens is not suitable, then sell it down the road.

Don't look down on Made-in-Thailand. Think of it as Made by Nikon.
Plenty of Honda Civics, Toyota Altis and Camry (and others) driving around our roads with no problem.

Ok point noted.
D90 is a very new model, to replace the D80. You have the choice to buy it as body only (saves some $$) and use your current lenses, or with a kit lens. I would get the D90 kit if I were you. If the kit lens is not suitable, then sell it down the road.

Don't look down on Made-in-Thailand. Think of it as Made by Nikon.
Plenty of Honda Civics, Toyota Altis and Camry (and others) driving around our roads with no problem.
Good on you mate:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have a D90 and i can use my old 95' Nikkor 35-80mm f4-5.6 AFD lens & 83' Nikkor 35mmf2.8 AIs lens Manual focus. Pictures look very sharp.:devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.