New to DSLR - Should get new or first hand ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firelord

Jan 9, 2008
Hi there

I thinking of getting a DSLR - Would be either a 500D or the 50D or its equilvalent.

Can anyone advice me should I get a second hand one or first hand.

And what to look out for if I were to get a second hand.

Pls advice.

Thanks

Hi there

I thinking of getting a DSLR - Would be either a 500D or the 50D or its equilvalent.

Pls advice.

Thanks

Hi there,

Welcome to the world of DSLR!!!

Depending on your budget. You should try both DSLR, get the feel. I know the 500D body is light and small. I will go for the 50D instead depending on your budget.

If you are thinking of upgrading your body later than you should go for 2nd hand. Just make sure that the body and lens you are buying are in good conditions. No cracks & dust inside the lens and the body sensors are cleans. Whether got warranty is up to you, if you mind. Make sure it's a local set not a export set.

You can go John3:16, SLR Revolution, CP, AP. Feel the camera and also enquiry the prices for both 500D & 50D. Decide later. Buying a DSLR is a heavy investment. Think it carefully...

Hope this help.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Welcome to the world of DSLR!!!

Depending on your budget. You should try both DSLR, get the feel. I know the 500D body is light and small. I will go for the 50D instead depending on your budget.

If you are thinking of upgrading your body later than you should go for 2nd hand. Just make sure that the body and lens you are buying are in good conditions. No cracks & dust inside the lens and the body sensors are cleans. Whether got warranty is up to you, if you mind. Make sure it's a local set not a export set.

You can go John3:16, SLR Revolution, CP, AP. Feel the camera and also enquiry the prices for both 500D & 50D. Decide later. Buying a DSLR is a heavy investment. Think it carefully...

Hope this help.

Welcome to CS...:cool:

Depend what you want to take. There alot articles you can read in CS. Then decide what DSLR you want to buy.

if your budget allows, get 1st hand
if not get 2nd hand

for 2nd hand stuff, just make sure everything works as they should
a warranty would be good

if you are not sure, then pay to have it checked b4 purchase

Hi there

Pls advice.

Thanks

You do need to provide a bit more information so that people can offer helpful advice.
Brand new or 2nd hand, the main factor that comes into consideration is PRICE. If you can easily afford a brand new copy, why get 2nd hand, am I right?
So in order to advise you whether or not to go down the 2nd hand route, 1st we need to know your budget. Bear in mind that it would be a good idea to set aside extra budget for accessories (flash, tripod, filters, dry cabinet, etc).

500D and 50D are both very capable cameras. Again, we do need additional information from you,
Please do some research about both cameras, find out what the differences are between them (price, size, specs, etc) and decide what criteria will affect your purchase decision.

Hi there

Pls advice.

Thanks

actually if you're not very particular and really don't mind using 2nd hand, you can buy lots of 2nd hand in good condition in BUY and SELL section here in Club Snap as LOTS of people are infected by BUY BUY BUY virus, once a new models comes up, jumps to buy it and sell their underused cam, try to look at shutter counts to judge how the cams are used..

it really depends on how comfortable you are with buying 2nd hand. some pple really scared to buy 2nd hand.

for me, i'm alrite with 2nd hand cause i'm quite careful with checking.

i've bought my DSLR 2nd hand also but i was really lucky, gd price and gd prev owner who knows how to take care of her stuff

Get 1st hand.. If you notice the 2nd hand price of DSLR and new, there isn't much saving. Maybe 5-10% only. Not worth the risk and time to meet seller.

If this discount means a lot to you, then 2nd hand for you.

Get 1st hand.. If you notice the 2nd hand price of DSLR and new, there isn't much saving. Maybe 5-10% only. Not worth the risk and time to meet seller.

If this discount means a lot to you, then 2nd hand for you.

tht's because the sellers at this forum really overprice their stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.