New to DSLR Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Mar 24, 2009
Siglap
Hi Friends,

I have just joined ClubSnap as I want to take up DSLR photography seriously and need as much as information as possible. Been reading through the forums and find it very useful. Now is seeking to buy my first DSLR ............. already chosen two makes ........... Canon or Nikon ............. and now trying to come up a firm decision ........... haha ........ not easy as there are so many considerations such video possibility, wider lenses ranges, live view etc etc. With a starting budget of S$2K, I am seriously thinking of buying Canon 450D due to its good review and lenses possibility (can buy better len for future body upgrade). Thank You for reading!

Cheers, Stallion :think:

(can buy better len for future body upgrade).

All DSLR cameras have that. For sony it's the G and Carl Zeiss Lenses. Nikon has it's G lenses too.

All DSLR cameras have that. For sony it's the G and Carl Zeiss Lenses. Nikon has it's G lenses too.

Yeah, I second that. And to top it off, most consumer lenses from Canon not very usable. Sony or Minolta consumers on the other hand are much better. BUY SONY. BUY SONY! BUY SONY! BUY SONY! BUY SONY!

Just Kidding. But not about the lenses bit. That I think is true.

Hello...welcome. As I have mentioned before, all entry level cams from every brand are capable to produce good images. Just do your own homework to see which suits you better and do not write off the smaller players as what they can offer are very impressive too.

For Pentax, is it the DA* lenses that are the high-end ones?

For Pentax, is it the DA* lenses that are the high-end ones?
not really. its the Limited range of lenses that is the most desired.

Hi Friends,

I have just joined ClubSnap as I want to take up DSLR photography seriously and need as much as information as possible. Been reading through the forums and find it very useful. Now is seeking to buy my first DSLR ............. already chosen two makes ........... Canon or Nikon ............. and now trying to come up a firm decision ........... haha ........ not easy as there are so many considerations such video possibility, wider lenses ranges, live view etc etc. With a starting budget of S$2K, I am seriously thinking of buying Canon 450D due to its good review and lenses possibility (can buy better len for future body upgrade). Thank You for reading!

Cheers, Stallion :think:
actually i recommend a 2nd hand 30D + an 18-200 IS/VC/OS or the Nikon equivalent which should be good for just about all your shots. A cheapo 50mm MK2 F1.8 for night shots.

this way you can plan what you want without having to throw money upfront.

Choose wisely, young one...

Light or dark side leh? :devil:

Choose wisely, young one...

Light or dark side leh? :devil:

wow.... i smell some smoke liao.. Fire starting? :sweat:

20071208_Canon_v_Nikon_002.jpg

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Anyway, on a serious note....

TS, since you've identified on the 2 major ones u'll be getting... i'm sure you've done quite a fair bit of homework already. What's next?

I would suggest you go down personally to shops to have a feel of the equipment. Reviews aside, you should feel comfortable in handling the equipment. Dun be compelled to make a purchase just because you asked to test out the equipment. You're the paying customer, you have to right to make sure you know what you're paying for.

Just a personal recommendation, you can try out John 3:16 or Cathay Photo @ Marina Sq. The ppl there are quite friendly, no pressure to hard-sell products.

$2k is not alot, neither is too little. Should be able to get something decent to start out with.

Hope to see your 1st posts of pics.
All the best...

Thanks All for your input ........... yes, done a lot of research and been to John 3:16 and CP at Peninsula a few times already ........... somehow feel more comfortable in the handling of Canon over Nikon. The decision is now whether to get a brand new camera or a good used one through ClubSnap forum (and save some $$$$$$).

Cheers, Stallion

Welcome

READ MORE
SHOOT more
Post more

Status
Not open for further replies.