New to DSLR, looking for pointers.

funinmud

Jan 13, 2013
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Just recently got my Canon 650D. The other night while sitting the little guy was into having his picture taken. I used the opportunity to do some Manual mode shooting, I was shocked when loading them on the computer how many I took. I know an object that doesn't move would be better for comparing different settings but he was into it so I figured perfect. Room was a little on the dark side so built in flash was used. These were taken in JPEG format.

I feel this picture turned out ok considering i'm still learning and am still experimenting with settings. Although I think the ISO speed shouldn't have been this high. Lowering it would have given a cleaner image.

8373544881_f2328e4f81_c.jpg

Camera Canon EOS REBEL T4i
Exposure 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 74 mm
ISO Speed 12800
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash On, Fired
White Balance Auto
Scene Capture Type Standard

I'm hopeful by looking at the photo and then the settings I posted up some recommendations could be made as to what could have been different so I can take that into account for my next time shooting.

Thanks a bunch!!

Welcome to clubsnap.

It seems you used the flash. When you use flash, there will be no need to use such a high iso. Maybe you can try 1600 or 3200 Iso.

You are right, constant conditions are better for comparisons. What exactly do you want to achieve or try? Why are you using Manual mode?
If you want to take portrait pictures of your son I recommend reading up the basics of photography and portraits, followed by some trial sessions in natural light. Flash is a completely different topic where one needs basic knowledge first. Start slowly, a sunny afternoon in the next park is a simple and perfect setup for portraits in natural light.

Hello and welcome funinmad!

I think shooting with ISO 12800 with flash fired is a little extreme in this particular situation.

You can shoot with a larger aperture to compensate.

Nonetheless, practice makes perfect, my friend!

Hello and welcome funinmad!

I think shooting with ISO 12800 with flash fired is a little extreme in this particular situation.

You can shoot with a larger aperture to compensate.

Nonetheless, practice makes perfect, my friend!

I think he's using the 18-135 lens - at his focal length, f/5.6 is the largest.

If I not wrong, at that setting, the flash fired was a weak one in order not to blow up the subject at that iso. Resulted in a nicely exposed subject with background, and that's gd. Of course, no one likes high iso n this exposure can be obtained by lowering shutter speed n decreasing iso (and have steady hands).

Other than that, u probably understood the exposure triangle decently well, and te next thing is just to shoot more n practise composition...

Thanks for the input and warm welcome!

Goal and reason for manual shooting is i've previously just shot with point and shoot cameras so wanted to move up as I think better shots can be taken when you choose your own settings. Being new though it's a learning curve. Reading is an easy way to learn but that gets old especially when you have a brand new camera just asking to be used!! As mentioned a child isn't the best type of shots to experiment with however he seems intrigued when the camera comes out so I figured why not just take some shots, this one I liked the most even though I did realize the ISO was way off. Will deff move to the outside for some future shooting. Thanks for that tip. Just hope it warms up some for the weekend.

Deff lowering the ISO for future shots and yes the lens is a 18-135.

Goal and reason for manual shooting is i've previously just shot with point and shoot cameras so wanted to move up as I think better shots can be taken when you choose your own settings. Being new though it's a learning curve.
Shooting Manual is not the ultimate goal and no picture will show "I have been shot in Manual" unless you put it there. Use the mode that works best in the particular situation. There are plenty of situations where using Manual is a big No-No. The camera is able to respond much faster to changing conditions than you can do. Define what you need, use the mode that let's you do this and let the camera do the rest. That gives you the freedom to focus on composition :)

Well, there sure is alot to this camera. Loving it though!!

Here is a recent pic using a 50mm 1.4,

8427813814_4fa962b6a7_c.jpg

8427947664_a464b84694_c.jpg

The snow appears to be white which is good, although with so much really takes your eyes.

Also having issues with flickr, it seems some people have bb code links yet if I click the Share button at the top next to the Actions, email, facebook, twitter buttons it doesn't do nothing. :dunno:

Tried to post linky to album incase anyone was interested but not enough posts yet.

Last edited:
there was a lot of white snow in your images, it may have fooled your camera light meter into under exposing

Well, there sure is alot to this camera. Loving it though!!

Here is a recent pic using a 50mm 1.4,

The snow appears to be white which is good, although with so much really takes your eyes.

Also having issues with flickr, it seems some people have bb code links yet if I click the Share button at the top next to the Actions, email, facebook, twitter buttons it doesn't do nothing. :dunno:

Tried to post linky to album incase anyone was interested but not enough posts yet.

Put your photos in dropbox public folder n link from there. Fuss free way.

Well turned out I had to clear my Cache and now it's seems to be working.

Unfortunately i don't meet the 30 day or 50 post thing yet to post that way here yet.

Focus point was the book near his hand, wanted to see how the "bokeh" would look.
8430762054_6bb1055da6_c.jpg