new to dslr and need some advice on getting a new dslr

liveagreattoday

Oct 2, 2011
im thinking of gettting a weather sealed dslr as im very afraid of the hassle if it touches water and go wrong. However, im not too sure how important it is and i just want to know what's your experience with dslr and water. Is the dslr rather resistant to everyday use or is it easily damaged?

you can look at the D3s. i believe none of the entry level models are truly weather-sealed.

but if you're looking for a cheaper one, the soon-to-be-here Sony A77 is rated to be weather-sealed. plus it has a magnesium alloy body under the plastic chassis. and is very, very light

im thinking of gettting a weather sealed dslr as im very afraid of the hassle if it touches water and go wrong. However, im not too sure how important it is and i just want to know what's your experience with dslr and water. Is the dslr rather resistant to everyday use or is it easily damaged?

Pentax K-5 : one of the cheapest yet solid performer around the market.

How important is weather seal depends on your usage on the camera. If you're a working professional and see yourself working in the rain at times, then you'll probably need it. Otherwise for casual amateur photographers it is not really needed, and "weather resistant" is good enough. I'm not familiar with other cameras, but for Nikon, the semi pro dslrs (D200, D300, D700, etc. including D7000) are weather resistant, and the pro dslrs (D2, D3, etc) are weather sealed. The Nikon bodies generally have better sealing when you move up the price ladder - e.g. D300 has better sealing than D7000, D700 is better than D300, etc.

Here is a story here that a guy dropped his D200 into a swimming pool and it survived:
Is the D700 weather sealed as well as the D3? - Talk Photography

Here is how the weather sealing of the D700 looks like:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/nikond700/images/features/D700_Sealed_front_l.jpg
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/nikond700/images/features/D700_Sealed_back_l.jpg

Pentax K5 is the one. Solid performer.
The other thing is that Pentax has a range of cheap commercial zooms that are also weather sealed (ie. 18-55; 50-200; 55-300; 18-135)
It also has a more expensive DA* series which is faster and better performance and all have weather sealing.

Pentax K5 - YouTube
[PENTAX K-5] under the shower - YouTube

Other brands only have weather sealed lenses too, but only on their higher end (ie. more expensive) lenses.

All cameras can take a bit of splash, w/o any issue (even w/o weather sealing)
However, weather seal does mean that its also prevents entry of dust into the lenses.

Last edited:
Most entry levels are not even weather sealed. But my 350D has seen drizzle many times, water and mud splashes, dust and dirt without failing. Cameras are built for everyday usage (otherwise you would see statements of clean room requirements), stop worrying, go out and shoot. Most users are less water / weather resistant than cameras :bsmilie:

I wonder how often do you imagine yourself shooting in HEAVY rain. Personally, for me, I dun even want to go out when it rains -.- (like what Octarine mentioned: "Most users are less water / weather resistant than cameras") unless going for indoor events

And I also find it hard to justify the amount for a weather sealed dslr as compared to entry models (as far as Canon is concerned, the diff can be from >$600)

Even the entry models can tahan the light rain, as long as it's not soaked. I doubt you will want to get soaked with your camera though. Also investing in a weather sealed camera, means you have to get weather sealed lens which usually don't come cheap (for Canon and Nikon at least)

Really appreciate it guys :) But since Octarine mentioned that his 350D can tahan these everyday splashes i guess weather sealing is for those shooting extreme landscape de ba. Thanks!

Really appreciate it guys :) But since Octarine mentioned that his 350D can tahan these everyday splashes i guess weather sealing is for those shooting extreme landscape de ba. Thanks!

Any DSLR can withstand certain amount of 'weather' with no problem at all. And there are no such things as extreme landscape, unless you are talking about Antarctica, deserts (lots of sand storm) and stuff like that... and DSLR is made to last, so it won't be easily damage. What I am more concern is the growing of fungus if you didn't take care of your camera.

And if you intend to use it in truely terrible weather... such as thunderstorm and stuff like that... my advise is - don't... even if you are using the D3, the 1D or the such.

A weather sealed camera will be helpful if one intends to travel overseas to countries with a fair bit of elements.
An example would be the dust and sand of Egypt.
With weather sealed, it is less worrying and less preparation/precaution would be needed.

I even climbed up Mt Merapi with this 350D. This was in 2006, 4 months after the last eruptions and the earthquakes shaking the area (causing heavy damage to the Hindu temples in Jogjakarta). I did not climb up to the crater (the tour guide was a bit too greedy suddenly and the smoke coming out from various holes did not look too inviting), but we stopped about 150m below. The area was covered in ashes, stones and whatever the volcano has coughed out. Heavy wind blowing and stirring up the dirt there. Maybe I forgot to tell my camera about the dangers of dust :) - it worked like a charm.

My 500D went with me on the Niagara falls boat ride (lots of water splash) with me, abt 5 months ago...and I've also forgotten to tell me camera about the danger :p

My 500D went with me on the Niagara falls boat ride (lots of water splash) with me, abt 5 months ago...and I've also forgotten to tell me camera about the danger :p

So did ur 500d survive ?Hahaha

If you are new, I don't see the need to buy really expensive stuff. Just try the entry models before upgrading.