New to Canon, need help on lenses!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmmahq

Sep 5, 2006
ADMIRALTY
Hi my trigger happy bros, I hv got a question on Canon lenses. Hope some kind brother can help me out. I just got a 7D camera, i'm new to Canon.

I'm confused on this lenses issue I'm facing.
What lenses on the 7D is magnified x1.6? and what lenses are not??

Do help me out bros. Thank you very much:)

On the 7D, the focal length stated on the lens (EF/EF-S) is effectively 1.6x more.

Hi my trigger happy bros, I hv got a question on Canon lenses. Hope some kind brother can help me out. I just got a 7D camera, i'm new to Canon.

Lenses made for DSLRs(not including medium format lenses mounted via adaptors) have their focal lengths shown in conventional format. So you just have to x 1.6 for any lenses.

If I read your question correctly - all your lenses will be magnified by 1.6x with your 7D, cos of the sensor. So if you have a 100mm lens, it'll be like a 160mm. It doesn't change.
For the DX cameras on Canon, you can use both EF and EFs lenses. It's only the full frame cameras which can only use the EF lenses (and not EFs)

the lens isnt magnified, the sensor is just smaller effectively cropping the edges and "zooming" on the image projected on the sensor by 1.6x

ALL EFS and EF mount lens will have the same effect because the 1.6X thingy you are talking about is fixed by the 7D sensor(as it is a 1.6x crop camera).

So far from what I gather this means any ef or ef-s lenses i use, must be x1.6.
Meaning if i want a wide angle lens for my 7D i must go for 10mm lenses, right??

Meaning if i want a wide angle lens for my 7D i must go for 10mm lenses, right??

yes, that is right

Any lens u use will have its focal length multiplied by 1.6x, cos your sensor is around 40% smaller than a full frame one. And yes, 10mm will give u an effective FOV of 16mm.

Yes to the first sentence, not really to the second.
There are many wide angle lens to choose from. The Canon 1022 is one of the best/recommended for cropped sensor.
Do look around the forum more.
:)

Yes to the first sentence, not really to the second.
There are many wide angle lens to choose from. The Canon 1022 is one of the best/recommended for cropped sensor.
Do look around the forum more.
:)

U said not really but also recommend 10-22?? :bsmilie:

Stupid question I know, pls mind the language but why the hell is the 10-22 so freaking expensive??;(

Stupid question I know, pls mind the language but why the hell is the 10-22 so freaking expensive??;(

it really isnt when you compare it with L's haha

Stupid question I know, pls mind the language but why the hell is the 7d so freaking expensive??;(

1. The 10-22 is NOT the only super wide angle lens around. Tokina, Tamron, Sigma all have lenses in that sort of range (e.g. 11-16, 10-20 etc). None of them are cheap at all. I don't think any of them will give you much change from $1k. Superwides are all expensive.

2. The 10-22 is a pretty good lens and is highly recommended.

Q. How wide do you need wide to be? The 15-85 is still reasonably wide (equivalent angle of view as 24mm on film), goes all the way to 85, is reported to be sharp, and costs about the same as the 10-22. If you don't really need anything much wider than 15, then you shouldn't buy the 10-22

Your camera is using an APSC sensor which coined the term crop camera. by 35mm standard, your 10-20 would be 16-32 respectively and so on.

if you are going all out, there`s the canon lenses of 10-20, 24-70 and 70-200 combination. On a shoestring budget would be the 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS.

An 18-200 would be ideal if you are simply starting out or frequently travel.

Last edited:

the X1.6 is called crop factor, not magnification. All EF / EFs lenses when mounted on 7D, will be 'affected' by this 'crop factor'. This crop factor is just simply multiply 1.6 on focal length of any lenses that attached on.

So if you attached a 30mm lens on 7D, the effective focal length (35 mm equivalent) will be equal to 30*1.6 = 48mm.

So the field of view of a 30mm lens attached on 7D will be similar to the field of view of a 48mm lens (though there suppose to be no 48mm lens) attached to a 5D (full frame camera)

Status
Not open for further replies.