New Superzoom Challenger - 8 megapixel Samsung Pro815

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumix5

Apr 12, 2005
Hi,

Saw this on e dpreview website, jus to share. This new samsung seems interesting with 8mp, 2/3" sensor, wide angle n 15x manual zoom, startup of 1s, fast focus, long battery life, 3.5"LCD, VGA movie mode with stereo sound etc. Seems like a dream list. Looks like the competition has jus been upped. The major factor seems to be the cost at ard $1800 (800 pounds)

Hmm, we can only look forward to better proconsumer cams can't we?
;)

Link here:http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060202samsung_pro815.asp

Pics from the website:

samsung_pro815frontback.jpg

samsung_pro815top.jpg

"The major factor seems to be the cost at ard $1800 (800 pounds)"

I think you mean 600 pounds as indicated in the web site.

Meanwhile I did not find any stabiliser with this cam with 15x optical zoom , wonder if a tripot is require for such high zoom ?

Also with 800 ISO does it mean EVF is ok ? or optical view finder better?

3.5 inch?! thats a mother of a screen sia...

28mm wide. looks good... giving others something to worry about sia... hemm...

Dual LCD? hahaha... woah...

can't wait for the test and reviews to be out.. -)

Howdy said:
"The major factor seems to be the cost at ard $1800 (800 pounds)"

I think you mean 600 pounds as indicated in the web site.

Meanwhile I did not find any stabiliser with this cam with 15x optical zoom , wonder if a tripot is require for such high zoom ?

Also with 800 ISO does it mean EVF is ok ? or optical view finder better?

Hmm, sorry it's a typo, supposed to mean 600 pounds. Forgive me will ya.:)

Wah lau, the spec really amazing... sure to cost at least $1800 when launched. The spec like a dream list & more. maybe Samsung has been secretly looking at prosumer cameras & entry level dSLR all this while...

But the claims still have to be tested out to see whether it really performs as claimed.

mm...samsung does not have any reputation building competent cameras yet.
specs can always be designed and built but performance is the acid test...

I found 2 set backs here:

1. There is no OIS or equivalent. You will need tripod to take any zoom photo.
2. Though the battery is 1,900 mAh, the 3.5" TFT LCD will kill the battery in no time, unless you do not use the LCD at all.

Did they say 15X Optical zoom? but look at the lens range: 28mm-420mm, isn't 420mm same as my good old FZ10 - 12x Optical zoom only?? Did Samsung spec it wrongly? :dunno:

With the price of S$1,800, you may be able to get over to the Dark side, buy a D50, where you will be able to enjoy even better photo-shooting experience?

JimDavis said:
Did they say 15X Optical zoom? but look at the lens range: 28mm-420mm, isn't 420mm same as my good old FZ10 - 12x Optical zoom only?? Did Samsung spec it wrongly? :dunno:

Correct mahz... if 1x is at 28mm... so 15x28, u will end up with 420mm... so it is 15x zoom, but counting 1x at 28mm mahz...

For FZ-10... it is 35mm at 1x... so 12x zoom will give u 420mm

For FZ-10... it is 36mm at 1x... so 12x zoom will give u 432mm, can shoot slightly further.. haaa...

Hong Jia said:
Correct mahz... if 1x is at 28mm... so 15x28, u will end up with 420mm... so it is 15x zoom, but counting 1x at 28mm mahz...

For FZ-10... it is 35mm at 1x... so 12x zoom will give u 420mm

For FZ-10... it is 36mm at 1x... so 12x zoom will give u 432mm, can shoot slightly further.. haaa...

Then that is nothing fantastic about this cam liao...it is only giving 28mm instead of 35mm....not worth the $$ liao...

JimDavis said:
With the price of S$1,800, you may be able to get over to the Dark side, buy a D50, where you will be able to enjoy even better photo-shooting experience?

You bet! This Samsung might be a piece of **** we never know. If this is a prosumer from Nikon, maybe we might be anticipating...

wrx_sti_22b said:
You bet! This Samsung might be a piece of **** we never know. If this is a prosumer from Nikon, maybe we might be anticipating...

Aiyo....prosumer is prosumer, does not matter if it is from Nikon or Canon or Samsung lar...there is always something lacking lar...

being a 2/3 sensor, one area that it will lose out is noise. cosidering its a 420 zoom and if you need handheld, chances of using high ISO to shoot is high. but the high ISO of 2/3 have never been good at 400 or beyond.

if really at $1500 above, think a D50 with a cheapo 70-300 lens will have a chance of producing better images than the samsung.

the hot shoe looks dedicated. does samsung have their own flash?

JimDavis said:
Then that is nothing fantastic about this cam liao...it is only giving 28mm instead of 35mm....not worth the $$ liao...

most people would want a wider wide end.. i'm sure i would. 28mm is good for landscape, indoor shots etc whereas 35mm is quite limited in these situations.

surge said:
being a 2/3 sensor, one area that it will lose out is noise. cosidering its a 420 zoom and if you need handheld, chances of using high ISO to shoot is high. but the high ISO of 2/3 have never been good at 400 or beyond.

if really at $1500 above, think a D50 with a cheapo 70-300 lens will have a chance of producing better images than the samsung.

the hot shoe looks dedicated. does samsung have their own flash?

you are comparing with respect to DSLRs la.. but compared to other prosumers like FZ20 with a 1/2.5" CCD, this camera is actually pretty well specced and will probably have less noise. good alternative for those who want a huge zoom range.

surge said:

Not necessary. Some manifacturers like Fujifilm were able to implment very good noise control at ISO 400 on 1/1.7 sensor (smaller than 2/3) 3 years ago. The other manufacturers should have narrowed the gap by now.

JimDavis said:
I found 2 set backs here:

1. There is no OIS or equivalent. You will need tripod to take any zoom photo.
2. Though the battery is 1,900 mAh, the 3.5" TFT LCD will kill the battery in no time, unless you do not use the LCD at all.

you'll need to spend a lot more money to cover the same range though. And 28mm is quite a bit wider compared to 35mm.

But the main thing would be the performance of the production units. If the image quality is good, noise control at high ISO is acceptable, and the camera is quick and responsive, this would be an interesting alternative (to other prosumers).

I personally think the major drawback would be the price. At this price a DSLR would be a better choice considering Samsung is practically unknown in photography. The noise factor is debatable. But the 28mm is a welcome thing as far as prosumer is concerned.

Hmm... I wonder is this OEM camera manufactured by contract manufacturer for these companies. Wondering whether my FZ was too! :dunno:

well at least its competition... regardless of brands we support...

Funny how its alot like a Sony828 (and that the noise was baddd...)

I read the lens spec tho... sounds interesting with 4 ED/SL/LD lenses and 2 Asph lenses i think....

soon we all will be answering calls from our cams... sigh. :p

direwuff said:
most people would want a wider wide end.. i'm sure i would. 28mm is good for landscape, indoor shots etc whereas 35mm is quite limited in these situations.

Spend $1,800 just to get 28mm? I can use the difference in $$ to get a good wide angle lens to attach to my Pana cam...can get 28mm, or even more....such a Oly WCON, which will not go beyong S$500, I believe...

Status
Not open for further replies.