New start in DSLR

BikerPh0t0z

Mar 24, 2009
Hi guys. Just bought my first ever DSLR. Its a Nikon D5000 with the 18-55 kit lens. Bought a Hoya UV filter too. Bought it for $1080 at John 3:16. Very good shop! Highly recommended place for newbies to purchase their first DSLRs! I would hope to learn more from you guys too! Many thanks to those who assisted in the questions i asked about in other threads. Alrighty, here's a picture of my cam. Photo taken using my sis's PnS cam. Once again, i look forward to joining you guys as photographers! :)

P6100001.jpg

my suggestion is to learn to use the Custom Menu.

my suggestion is to learn to use the Custom Menu.

Hmmmm nt sure wat is custom menu. Still very new to the cam. Will look up on the manual. Thanks!

Welcome!

Read up on your basics - exposures, shutter, aperture, iso and some basic composition.
and shoot more! :D

When i started to like photography, i read quite abit on how to shoot good photos. I also came upon qoutes that i find interesting.
One of it was, "Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer, it only makes you a Nikon User."
Which i think quite true. By the way, I'm still a Nikon user, let's learn together!
Welcome to CS!

Welcome!

Read up on your basics - exposures, shutter, aperture, iso and some basic composition.
and shoot more! :D

Thanks! Im currently practicing alot on my cam. Hehe. Just fiddling with the settings. :D

When i started to like photography, i read quite abit on how to shoot good photos. I also came upon qoutes that i find interesting.
One of it was, "Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer, it only makes you a Nikon User."
Which i think quite true. By the way, I'm still a Nikon user, let's learn together!
Welcome to CS!

Thank you! :) Hehe yeah. I agree too. I was a cyclist before i picked up photography again. And the same saying goes, "Its not the bike, its the biker", refering to the cyclist's skill and fitness.

Lets learn more along the way!
Cheers! :D

welcome welcome, i went to John last Saturday, the shop was very busy... saw ppl comparing Nikon and Canon 550D.. the salesperson open those cameras for them to try.. very nice experience

welcome welcome, i went to John last Saturday, the shop was very busy... saw ppl comparing Nikon and Canon 550D.. the salesperson open those cameras for them to try.. very nice experience

Thanks! Oh. What time were you there? I was there around 6-7pm. Saw alot of customer asking about 550D. Then when i was checking out my cam the customer switched to asking abt the D5000. LOL. But yeah. The service was damn good. Especially the young guy who was very open and friendly. My friend and i believe he was the boss of the shop.

Edit: Oooops my bad. Read your sentence wrongly. =X

Last edited:
Welcome to the dark side.. :)

hi all, i'm newbie here. i'm just abt to buy a d90, so i'm still wondering should i buy it a not. since it is the biker not the bike. as a beginner, should i buy a d90 or should i buy a cheaper camera? lost & confuse. thanks !!!

hi all, i'm newbie here. i'm just abt to buy a d90, so i'm still wondering should i buy it a not. since it is the biker not the bike. as a beginner, should i buy a d90 or should i buy a cheaper camera? lost & confuse. thanks !!!

if you got the budget, just go ahead.. buy something that you WANT

Hi guys. Just bought my first ever DSLR. Its a Nikon D5000 with the 18-55 kit lens. Bought a Hoya UV filter too. Bought it for $1080 at John 3:16. Very good shop! Highly recommended place for newbies to purchase their first DSLRs! I would hope to learn more from you guys too! Many thanks to those who assisted in the questions i asked about in other threads. Alrighty, here's a picture of my cam. Photo taken using my sis's PnS cam. Once again, i look forward to joining you guys as photographers! :)

Hmmmm nt sure wat is custom menu. Still very new to the cam. Will look up on the manual. Thanks!
Congrats on your new toy. Important thing to do is to read up the manual. That way, you'll understand more about the functions of the camrera ;)

Welcome to CS :)
I don't agree with what you say - 'its the biker not the bike'. If you are a biker who has got no bike, how does that make you a biker? If you are a biker who has a good bike, or a good biker with a not so good bike, you still can take good pictures.
The D90 is a good buy if your interest last & if you have already budgeted for it, why not? ;)

Welcome to CS :)
I don't agree with what you say - 'its the biker not the bike'. If you are a biker who has got no bike, how does that make you a biker? If you are a biker who has a good bike, or a good biker with a not so good bike, you still can take good pictures.
The D90 is a good buy if your interest last & if you have already budgeted for it, why not? ;)

Double ;) ;) above! Welcome to CS!

Congrats on your new toy! Do join outings hosted by fellow CS bros here. ;)

hi all, thanks for that!!! alright i will go ahead with my decision.won't change mind again. thanks

hi biker, $1080 is net, or need to add gst?
Does John accept admin-free credit card?

I am looking at d5000 too.
:thumbsup:
cheers,
andy

Thank you! :) Hehe yeah. I agree too. I was a cyclist before i picked up photography again. And the same saying goes, "Its not the bike, its the biker", refering to the cyclist's skill and fitness.

Lets learn more along the way!
Cheers! :D

Pro racer bike vs China brand mountain bike....Mountain bike can win?:bsmilie:

Just joking...hope the first thing you do with your new purchase is to read the manual and understand the operation...it's much complicated then pns...