New Standards for Carry On Luggage

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
http://mashable.com/2015/06/09/carry-on-luggage-size-suggestions/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

It's nice to have a standard size, but it's not so nice that the standard is smaller than what we are already used to...

A ploy to force us to change our luggage bags?
On Tuesday, the International Air Transport Association (IATA) announced a new initiative "to optimize the accommodation of carry-on bags given differing carry-on bag sizes and airline policies."
IATA says it is solving the problem of carry-on bag sizes on behalf of passengers.
“The development of an agreed optimal cabin bag size will bring common sense and order to the problem of differing sizes for carry-on bags,” said Tom Windmuller, IATA’s Senior Vice President for Airport, Passenger, Cargo and Security. "We know the current situation can be frustrating for passengers. This work will help to iron out inconsistencies and lead to an improved passenger experience."
The new suggested carry-on size, at 21.5 x 13.5 x 7.5 inches, "means that theoretically everyone should have a chance to store their carry-on bags on board aircraft of 120 seats or larger," according to IATA.
Current carry-on baggage allowances average 22 x 14 x 9 inches.

-.-

i just bought new luggage lor...

Trying to get more $$$$ out of traveller... but at the same time, i do really hard those 'cheapo' traveller who refuse to buy check-in luggage space on budget airlines and bring everything, beside the kitchen sink, into the cabin itself... :sweat:

good and bad

good now there's a standard carry on luggage size no more of those carry on that looks like almost full pledge check in luggage... bad is those like some of us who aleady have the older carry on luggage will need to buy again :-(

Unless budget else hardly check size. If they did so, a lot wouldn't be happy, heh heh!

Airlines set cabin baggage rules in order to comply with space at disposal in the aircraft and as a matter of commercial policy.

Carry-on baggage must be stowed in the cabin, which limits baggage to a size, weight and shape to fit under a passenger seat, or in a storage compartment. Some aircraft have very limited cabin baggage space, and even on larger aircraft, your bag may be taken from you. .

If you are changing carriers during your journey you may be asked to check some of your cabin baggage as each airline will apply their own policy to the their own flights. It is worth checking with your airline(s) before you travel as to their policies.

So, what does IATA do?

Airlines set their own baggage rules and IATA plays no role in this activity.
- REF : IATA

Last edited:
So my Pelican 1510 and Think Tank Airport International still can use or not? NB!

Why all the fuss?

There will be no new rules
provide for the hand luggage (size).

for english "head master" :)
or is it: "senior primary school teacher" ;)

carry-on luggage!

Last edited:
Why all the fuss?

There will be no new rules
provide for the hand luggage (size).

Errr... I think 'Carry-On' = 'Hand Luggage'

Those that goes into the belly of the planes are referred to as 'Check-in' or as in the article.. 'Checked Baggage'...

So my Pelican 1510 and Think Tank Airport International still can use or not? NB!

I would suggest holding back on buying new bags until this is sorted...

Just saw on Straits Times (page A21, 19th June) that the Airline group proposing for the 'New' luggage size, has called off the proposal....

Well... Cheapo passengers on budget flights will be safe for now... :bsmilie:

Just saw on Straits Times (page A21, 19th June) that the Airline group proposing for the 'New' luggage size, has called off the proposal....

Well... Cheapo passengers on budget flights will be safe for now... :bsmilie:

Good. Thanx to them for not farking up people worldwide.

Actually I was hoping for a new standard, helps when you pack, but a standard in which the size isn't reduced.
We already have mickey mouse apartments in S'pore, we don't need tiny luggage..