New serious recommandation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

versatile

May 29, 2005
Sembawang
dendennism.deviantart.com
Okay, next month i'll be getting either a DSLR-like or a DSLR.

Here's some choices for me to get.

DSLR-Like - CP 5700 - $500+ (good picture quality but RAW format too slow, slow shutter speed slow AF)
DSLR-Like - CP 8700 - $900 (good picturw quality but complicated controls)
DSLR-Like - Casio exilim-EX-P505 - $700 (2" LCD display, picture quite noisy and has redeye problem) ( i think this is out)

DSLR- Canon D30 + Canon 28-105mm f4/5.6 USM Lens - $1k (Comments?)
DSLR - Canon (Silver) EOS 300D with 18-55mm - $800 (Comments?)

Have been using compact cams for the past few years. Gonna ORD soon.. so will have more times to play around and go snap around. Problem is that compact cam is kinda dead.. has a limit to play with.. but then DSLR is kinda expensive to maintane cos must upgrade lens if not up to personal standard and stuffs.

i don't know.. need a serious recommandation. i don't wanna waste money on a average cam already. Used to own a IXUS v2, C750z, Sony F505, and now a pathetic R607. One more question what does the 20-105mm means? how far the lens zoom can go? and what does f4/5.6 means?

please advise.

consider a 2nd hand 300D instead of D30. It's worth the little increase in $.

get the D70 + KIT if u are really serious , get it at second hand if u are on budget ....

S11loop said:
get the D70 + KIT if u are really serious , get it at second hand if u are on budget ....

I'm on budget dude. Anything above $1k is out. Gonna ORD soon, need some cash for my future studies that's why i working part time for my uncle to earn extra cash. I'm keen on D70 too. But it's way out of my budget.

AReality said:
consider a 2nd hand 300D instead of D30. It's worth the little increase in $.

Someone is selling a 2nd hand 300D at $900.
and one question, can AFS lens attach to 300D? cos the original lens is a EFS lens. sorry for asking, i'm a noob in lenses.

EFs lens is canon.
EF also canon.

AFS is nikon.

300D can take both EF & EFs only.

detrop said:
so yer gonna go fr DSLR?

yea dude, sorry for the late reply. was overseas for the past few weeks.
and yes, i think it would be good for me to get a dSLR. so sorry for not informing you earlier that i'm redrawing of yer 5700.

versatile said:
I'm on budget dude. Anything above $1k is out. Gonna ORD soon, need some cash for my future studies that's why i working part time for my uncle to earn extra cash. I'm keen on D70 too. But it's way out of my budget.

A dSLR is not a one time purchase, since you're on a budget I suggest you get a prosumer cam.

Some point to note for DSLR.
1) EF, EF-S refers to the type of mount of the Canon lens. AF refers to the Nikon mounted lens.
2) AF-S refers to Nikon lens mount with a "S"ilent wave motor. The Canon's equivalent is the USM lens. Nikon and Canon lens are not compatible if you want to maintain autofocus.
3) 28-105mm refers to the focal length. Its a little different from the 4x, 10x you see in your previous cameras. The 4x or 10x are zoom ratios. So for a 28-105 its zoom ratio is about 3.75x. A 50-500mm lens' zoom ratio is about 10x. A 1200mm prime's lens has a zoom ratio of 1x becoz it does not vary - but has the greatest reach when compared to the previous 2.
4) f4/5.6 refers to the apeture of the lens. Its how big the hole can get to allow light to pass through. The bigger the hole, the smaller the f -value. Eg f1.8 can give you a bigger hole then a f5.6. Your previous camera's lens can typically get f3.5.
5) D30 is 2 generations older then the 300D. You'd be better off with the 300D as it also has a Digic processor, better noise control and better auto white balance. A D30's body is tougher as its all magnesium alloy.
6) S$1K would get you a decent 2nd hand DSLR with a kit lens or consumer lens. This should give you good pictures over your previous cameras IF you shoot properly. You can get a cheap prime lens to start out. A prime lens is sharp and can churn out good pictures. Eg a Nikon / Canon 50mm lens cost typically around $130 plus or minus.

Hope that help answer some of your questions. :)
Have fun!

The color of the D30 is obsolete compared to the 300D, get the 300D with the kit lens and you'll have a decent system for many years to come.

hello.. I am also a newbie.. have you consider Panaosnic FZ30?

hello.. I am also a newbie.. have you consider Panaosnic FZ30?

I understand you are guided primarily by your budget, but would like to highlight 2 areas which you should consider.

1) Do you want/need the superior (claimed by many) optics, speed and low noise etc etc of DSLR?
2) How far would you venture into this hobby?

Implications for your decisions:

1) One of DSLR's (and SLR's) key characteristic is inter-changeability of lens. Unlike a point and shoot where the lens is fixed, covering a wide zoom range, you often need more than one lens for a DSLR. Given that understanding, you must understand that your kit lens, be it Nikon or Canon, will not be as "versatile" (in terms of range) as compared to a point and shoot (with a wider range of course). In shot, you will eventually spend more than 1k, or face the limitation of the single kit lens you have.

2) Budget might be your primary concern, but your venture into DSLR also means you are buying a "system". If you build your collection of lens slowly, through needs and wants and slow savings (i.e. not buying a full system all at once), you'll find yourself stuck in one system (e.g. Canon or Nikon), and reluctant to make a switch even though you know the alternative system serves your needs better. Thus, choose Canon over Nikon is actually not so simple as 1k budget buys you Canon but not Nikon. Hence, if you still decide to venture into DSLR, I recommend you to stick with the kit lens, don't buy new lens, until you have saved a substantial amount for the next "upgrade". So that you can have the choice to switch system when you can afford it. I don't know how to explain this. Other forumers can help?

3) If you are unsure how much you are willing to spend on DSLR, I highly recommend getting a good prosumer. Canon Pro 1, Nikon 8700, Konica Minolta A2, Panasonic FZ20 (30 not out yet) are good for learning the manual mainipulations of some basic functions like shutter speed, aperture, ISO.

My parting caution is DSLR can be more expensive than you think. You might end up being very restricted in your voice in photography if you are limited by your lens. Either AF, optics, focal length... You will find yourself taking photos which your camera (and kit lens) can take. Not the photographs you want to take.

Please note that I'm speaking from the point of view of a raw beginner and learner. Not someone who had gone through all these and have the expertise to make the best out of any camera.

shinken said:
2) Budget might be your primary concern, but your venture into DSLR also means you are buying a "system". If you build your collection of lens slowly, through needs and wants and slow savings (i.e. not buying a full system all at once), you'll find yourself stuck in one system (e.g. Canon or Nikon), and reluctant to make a switch even though you know the alternative system serves your needs better. Thus, choose Canon over Nikon is actually not so simple as 1k budget buys you Canon but not Nikon. Hence, if you still decide to venture into DSLR, I recommend you to stick with the kit lens, don't buy new lens, until you have saved a substantial amount for the next "upgrade". So that you can have the choice to switch system when you can afford it. I don't know how to explain this. Other forumers can help?

My parting caution is DSLR can be more expensive than you think. You might end up being very restricted in your voice in photography if you are limited by your lens. Either AF, optics, focal length... You will find yourself taking photos which your camera (and kit lens) can take. Not the photographs you want to take.

from ur initial post, i've a feeling u've never touched a SLR camera b4? :think:

if so, i hope shinken's comments have given u some food for thot. getting a DSLR is an expensive proposition. be it 2nd-hand or new, ur spending has just only begun once u bought ur first cam. i see u didn't budget in for a memory card (high-speed ones, not those run-of-the-mill normal spd cards), a bag(s), tripods, filters, dry cabinet, flash, cleaning equipment etc... easily can add another 1k to ur initial budget. if u're a student on a tight budget, do u think u shld or can afford to spend so much money, even with a part-time job? think abt it?

i don't wanna waste money on a average cam already. Used to own a IXUS v2, C750z, Sony F505, and now a pathetic R607

wat u have or had are pretty good cameras. i started off with a F505 too, when i began to earn my own money. the R607 - are u referring to the HP Photosmart R607? IMO, its one of the better PnS cameras with decent features. when u said its 'pathetic', are u referring to the cam for not able to take the pics u want? or, have u finished mastering the camera? i personally like this camera as i have one too. the only thing i dun like its the batt life.

so, think abt it. if u are not sure of wat u're getting into, pause. go and read up basic books abt photography. or, go to some courses and learn abt the basics like aperature, shutter speeds, operation of camera etc... perhaps, by then, u might NOT need a DSLR to get the pics u want.

versatile said:
Have been using compact cams for the past few years. Gonna ORD soon.. so will have more times to play around and go snap around. Problem is that compact cam is kinda dead.. has a limit to play with.. but then DSLR is kinda expensive to maintane cos must upgrade lens if not up to personal standard and stuffs.

Think u hit e bull's eye here.

versatile said:
i don't know.. need a serious recommandation. i don't wanna waste money on a average cam already. Used to own a IXUS v2, C750z, Sony F505, and now a pathetic R607. One more question what does the 20-105mm means? how far the lens zoom can go? and what does f4/5.6 means?

So, u r prepared to waste it on dSLRs???

versatile said:

N u r on a budget too??? Seems like u r in no particular direction at all...

My advice is get a decent cam far below ur budget n save e rest of e money for ur studies which I believe shud b ur primary concern.

With good qualifications, hopefully u'll b able to get a well-paid job. And by then, u wud b able to afford not only dSLRs but those of high-end ones. By diz time also, IMO, u wud hav a more in-depth knowledge of photography n will definitely be ready for a dSLR...

Think about it Bro...

My humble 2 cents....

when i first bought my DSLR, i never expect i want lens so soon, but i did and got 2 more, i did not think i need dry cabinet, but i got one, i did not thought i want to try to play with filter and stuff, but i did. i did not expect i would bring all these out with me on holiday, but i got a bag to carry them, and now in my mind, i am thinking of getting more stuff waiting in the q,....its an expensive hobby (at least to me), but its lots of fun....

my goodness, better stay away from SLR or DSLR is u r on budget...

Status
Not open for further replies.