Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
from http://www.dp-now.com/news/May2002/dpnnews207/dpnnews207.html

quoted:
At the other end is the CoolPix 5700 (see top and below), a 5MP model which looks like a CoolPix 5000 fitted with a much wider-ranging 8x zoom; equivalent to 35-280mm. With the lens retracted, the camera bears more than a passing resemblance to a Fujifilm 6900. For this reason, it’s not surprising, though a touch disappointing, to discover that the 5700 employs an electronic eye-level through the lens viewfinder in addition to the flip out and swivel finder familiar to CoolPix 5000 users. The housing on the top plate is home to a pop-up SLR-style flash gun. The camera is smaller in real life than its pictures might suggest.

haha, so I was right to intend to wait a while for Nikon's new monster, rather than to dive into s602z. This model will have a TTL hotshoe which is even more favourable for me.

But then, a 5MP cam with 8x optical, what's it gonna cost, $1700-$1800? :(

Ah! We live in interesting times..... never expected Nikon to adopt a Minolta/Fuji-ish body....

the upgrade never ends with digital cameras. digital cameras nowadys are more like computers than cameras. ;-)

people tend to worry about megapixels, optical zoom and stuff rather than the quality of the image. ;-)

Originally posted by chaotic
people tend to worry about megapixels, optical zoom and stuff rather than the quality of the image. ;-)

not entirely true, many factors are taken in account, image quality included. :)

Originally posted by chaotic

I thought megapixels and optical quality has direct relation to image quality?;p

And this additional info from DCResource is mighty interesting too:-

Nikon also introduced the Cool-Light SL-1 macro ring light, to provide Coolpix users easy macro shooting without the need for special lighting equipment. This extremely portable and easy-to-use light works with eight, high-luminance white LED bulbs to give a lightweight, full-surround illumination. Lights images from a shooting distance as close as 2cm with the Coolpix 4500 and Coolpix 900 series of cameras. Attaches directly to the Coolpix 950, 990, 995 and Coolpix 4500 digital cameras, while a standard lens adapter ring is necessary for use with the Coolpix 5000, 885, 880 and 775 digital cameras. It will be available -- guess when -- this July.

Originally posted by Goondu
Suddenly, the S602Z doesn't seems so interesting anymore. :confused:

From the looks, the TTL hotshoe, swivel LCD and additional 2x optical zoom does attracts attention away from the S602. But there is no manual focus ring. :(

Check out dpreview now. The preview is out!
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0205/02052904coolpix5700.asp

Specs of the new 5700 for your information (from DCResource):-

Nikon Coolpix 5700 (stunning resemblance to Fuji S602, no?)
- 5.0 effective Megapixel CCD (2560 x 1920 photos)
- A whopping 8X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 35 - 280 mm
- Lens extends to full telephoto in < 2 secs
- Lens has no image stabilization
- Lens uses Nikon’s exclusive Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass for superior image quality and reduced chromatic aberrations
- 70-millisecond shutter release lag time
- Shutter speed range of 8 - 1/4000 sec
- Uses an electronic viewfinder (EVF) rather than optical viewfinder. It's like a little LCD. Covers 97% of the frame
- Same flip out, rotating main LCD (1.5") as the Coolpix 5000
- Backlit LCD info display on top of camera
- Still no AF-assist lamp :-(
- Hot shoe for external flash (power zoom head not supported)
- Compatible with Nikon wide-angle (WC-E80) and telephoto (TC-E15ED) lenses. Requires step-down ring (UR-E8)
- Multiple Continuous Shooting modes that can take up to three consecutive full-sized pictures at three frames per second, or at 1.5 frames per second
- Macro mode - as close to 3 cm (0.8") from subject
- AE and white balance bracketing
- RAW and TIFF modes, in addition to JPEG (of course)
- Movies up to 60 seconds, 320 x 240, 15 fps, with sound. Optical zoom disabled during filming.
- CompactFlash Type II slot - Microdrives (512MB & 1GB) supported
- Uses EN-EL1 proprietary Li-ion battery. Nikon estimates 90 minutes of usage per charge.
- Ships in July. Price not available. Includes 32MB CF card.

Originally posted by Darren
And this additional info from DCResource is mighty interesting too:-

HAha, Nikon appears to have copied it from some guy who DIYed a series of macro ring lights, all using LEDs.

oh boy .. the temptation lurks again. got to resist!!!! :bwhat:

oh i was not very clear in my previous post. what i meant by quality of image includes photographic skills and knowledge.

digital camera encourages us to just snap and snap. :D i haven't used a film slr camera, but i do want to learn proper photography, really don't know where to start... now in the classic film vs digital dilema..

Originally posted by Tweek
haha, so I was right to intend to wait a while for Nikon's new monster, rather than to dive into s602z. This model will have a TTL hotshoe which is even more favourable for me.

But then, a 5MP cam with 8x optical, what's it gonna cost, $1700-$1800? :(

;p guess it came out at the right time, just before the launch of the S602Z in Singapore.

one minor bad point.... it uses proprietary lithium battery.

90 minutes of usage time?!

Reviews at www.steves-digicams.com should be out later today......

quote:
You've probably noticed a lack of news over the last four or five days but it won't be quiet much longer. We're busier than bees getting three new camera First Looks ready for a Wednesday launch - stay tuned, it will be worth it. In the meantime I hope everyone has a nice and restful Memorial Day weekend with friends and family

the en-el1s (lithium battery) aren't that bad... I am using with the 995 now. they last pretty much a whole day of shooting. with a backup, it probably can last a whole day of crazy shooting! :rbounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.