New S3pro user questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
Hi guys,

I just got my s3pro and now I have some questions

1) for the preview mode, is there anyway to time out the preview? Sometimes I forget to half press the shutter and the preview stays on for quite some time... It is very useful as it allows me to see histogram and delete unwanted shots but it doesn't time out.

2) I am using Adobe raw 3.3. I read somewhere that you can mix and match the S & R pixels but I cannot find the option when I open my raw files. Just the regular options as my oly E1 raw. Is there special options for Fujifilm RAW files? I am shooting at wide dynamic range and the raw files are 25meg.

3) I am sure this has been touched b4, but I am thinking of using a compressed air can to clean my sensor. Is that advisable or should I buy sensor swab. Never cleaned sensor b4 but fujifilm supposedly charges $80+... so I better start learning.

thanks

Hi Wind30,

Congrates on your new purchased. My i ask how much you bought your new "baby".

Thanks/Cheers

1) read the manual...i tink its in the csm menu....

2) i mentioned in the forum before....change the dr setting to std while shooting on raw and u get 6mp equivalent raws instead tt are ared 12mb each...this is sth tt alot of ppl dunno, and no one really bothered to notice also imho....

3) i dunno about compressed air ..... but i guess the sensor swabs are quite reliable....try asking azure...i have seen him demo how to clean the sensor before....

cheers...

first of all happy CNY to all fujifilm users :)

1) There isn't a timeout function in the manual for preview mode, I think... I do read manual :) s3pro has a preview mode which displays the histogram after everyshot automatically and gives you the option to delete. The problem with this for me is that it doesn't seem to time out.

2) My mistake, there isn't an option to mix S & R pixels in ACR3.3. It is adjusted solely by the exposure compensation slider. I did know about the wide / standard setting for dynamic range. Since I bought an s3pro, why set to standard....

3) do you guys have outings? I heard azure has a lab somewhere.

Anyway, I bought mine s3pro second hand for $2200, came with fuji bag + extra battery tray. Almost mint set around 5months old, the running number on the filename is around 2.5k. User estimate shutter count to be around 3k :) Everything is fine with the set except for 2 dust spots which is normal.

wind30 said:
first of all happy CNY to all fujifilm users :)

Anyway, I bought mine s3pro second hand for $2200, came with fuji bag + extra battery tray. Almost mint set around 5months old, the running number on the filename is around 2.5k. User estimate shutter count to be around 3k :) Everything is fine with the set except for 2 dust spots which is normal.

yupz, that's about the going price now for a used S3Pro, S$2.2k.:)
will be looking to get one if there's no S4Pro at the PMA. as of today, only compact digital cams are announced by FujiFilm... SAD!:cry:

Cheesecake said:
yupz, that's about the going price now for a used S3Pro, S$2.2k.:)
will be looking to get one if there's no S4Pro at the PMA. as of today, only compact digital cams are announced by FujiFilm... SAD!:cry:

I bought it from an amateur photographer so the set is not used very often. I don't buy second hand sets from Pros :)

I don't think the s4pro will be out so soon, fastest will probably in June. Even if it is out, I think it will be priced higher than the D200 as it will be probably very high resolution.

after shooting today, the RAW at high ISO seems very noisy. It seems that the in camera noise reduction for jpeg is very good. The extended dynamic range is only useful for low ISO huh.

Another minor gripe is that you need to turn dial THREE times to change ISO. Is there a short cut? but resolution wise, it seems to be much better than my olympus E1 :) dynamic range is also remarkable esp RAW at ISO100.

The low light focusing is not very good huh. Considering I am using the 50mm f1.4 lens, I am still having trouble focusing indoors sometimes. I am thinking of getting the 18-200 VR but dunno if the smaller aperture will make lowlight focusing even harder. The AF assist fires a bright beam of light on the subject which I find too disturbing. Does the focusing improves with a SB600 AF assist?

wind30 said:
I bought it from an amateur photographer so the set is not used very often. I don't buy second hand sets from Pros :)

I don't think the s4pro will be out so soon, fastest will probably in June. Even if it is out, I think it will be priced higher than the D200 as it will be probably very high resolution.

after shooting today, the RAW at high ISO seems very noisy. It seems that the in camera noise reduction for jpeg is very good. The extended dynamic range is only useful for low ISO huh.

Another minor gripe is that you need to turn dial THREE times to change ISO. Is there a short cut? but resolution wise, it seems to be much better than my olympus E1 :) dynamic range is also remarkable esp RAW at ISO100.

The low light focusing is not very good huh. Considering I am using the 50mm f1.4 lens, I am still having trouble focusing indoors sometimes. I am thinking of getting the 18-200 VR but dunno if the smaller aperture will make lowlight focusing even harder. The AF assist fires a bright beam of light on the subject which I find too disturbing. Does the focusing improves with a SB600 AF assist?
S3Pro is based on the F80.. so no choice for the ISO, happily turn the dial la.. haha

the focusing in low light and the AF is slow. but the JPEG is the best straight off the cammie. the DR is good too. for sure, ur focusing in lo-light will improve if u've a flashgun as it will emit lighting to aid in focusing.

y are u holding onto the E-1? sell it la! :bsmilie:

wah I did my first CCD cleaning with a blower. Turn the camera face down and BLOW. The dust came out easily. Now only left a TINY dot at f16, which I don't care as I seldom shoot at f16 :) :) mmm... should I remove the last dot? better not, later more dust go in.

hey E1 also very good you know :) Actually people say E1 noise is bad, seriously, after comparison, there is not much difference if you use the RAW files. It is just that fujifilm has some noise reduction. algo that is really good for their sensor. now I have a lens problem. Dunno what lens to buy. Olympus has some very good and cheap lens. 14-54, 50-200... I dunno how good the 18-200mm is... but looks ok from all the samples.

wind30 said:
wah I did my first CCD cleaning with a blower. Turn the camera face down and BLOW. The dust came out easily. Now only left a TINY dot at f16, which I don't care as I seldom shoot at f16 :) :) mmm... should I remove the last dot? better not, later more dust go in.

hey E1 also very good you know :) Actually people say E1 noise is bad, seriously, after comparison, there is not much difference if you use the RAW files. It is just that fujifilm has some noise reduction. algo that is really good for their sensor. now I have a lens problem. Dunno what lens to buy. Olympus has some very good and cheap lens. 14-54, 50-200... I dunno how good the 18-200mm is... but looks ok from all the samples.
sell ur E1.
:thumbsup:

wind30 said:
3) do you guys have outings? I heard azure has a lab somewhere.
Happy Lunar New Year.

There were outings, but it seems that for S2/S3 Pro users, the outings doesn't suit all our timings. I've reverted to the normal AG series outings, though Fuji users are always very much welcome.

Haha. No, I do not have a lab, anywhere. I just so happen to enjoy service par excellence at TripleD (Burlington Sq) and Aspario (Senett est) is all.

As for cleaning, the swabs+eclipse solution works best. I do shoot at f16-32 quite a fair bit, so it is important to me. Otherwise, if it is off-season, I'll send mine to Fujifilm for cleaning. They also use the swabs method.

wind30 said:

Saw your ad... Guess you're selling your newly acquired S3 ha! I also put up mine for sale. Even tho there was a bid for the stated price, I sort of having second thoughts after printing with my newly calibrated monitor and printer combi...

Did my own CCD cleaning after seeing a big black spot and streak on my shots of the blue sky. All the above gone after cleaning with the sensor swabs, using the ac adaptor of course. Now al my images are squeaky clean.

Now I've put on hold my purchase of the D200... its not that avilable anyway...

Good luck on your sale......

Seems like every guy here is selling their fuji DSLR !!!

Soapa1125 said:
Seems like every guy here is selling their fuji DSLR !!!

Not every... I am still holding to mine. I am loving it more by the day. Even with all the so-called "slowness", it is definitely better than the results I had with my old D100, custom curves and all. I am re-starting my long-neglected relation with photography again, thanks to my newly acquired S3... (eerie ha!!!)

everyone is selling meh...i tink its time for me to get a few more then...hahaha...

Azure said:
Happy Lunar New Year.

There were outings, but it seems that for S2/S3 Pro users, the outings doesn't suit all our timings. I've reverted to the normal AG series outings, though Fuji users are always very much welcome.

fuji users can jump queue ah? ;)

eh i cant really recall ya face...but i will know u when i see u man hahaha.... i erhm....already got one... i mentioned few more ya hahaha

Witness said:
eh i cant really recall ya face...but i will know u when i see u man hahaha.... i erhm....already got one... i mentioned few more ya hahaha

buy one for me huh? thanks in advance!! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.