New Prime - Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 85mm F3.5G VR

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is an actual picture of the new lens.. =)

4009951061_eaf8576399.jpg

anyone intend to get this?

price at Amazon is US$529.95

about S$714.93...

not sure what will be final price in Singapore's store

I don't see the point actually (even if I am a macro shooter which I arent).

This focal length is bracketed by the 60mm AF/AF-S and the 105mm AF/AF-S. Price wise, slightly cheaper, but you lose 0.667 stop AND FX support.

Is Nikon targeting the consumer market (which CAN afford to pay for existing macro lenses anyway, not like they cost $3000 and above)? Or is Nikon trying to make a statement that it has not forgotten DX?

I don't really see the logic here :dunno:

Last edited:
This focal length is bracketed by the 60mm AF/AF-S and the 105mm AF/AF-S. Price wise, slightly cheaper, but you lose 1 stop AND FX support.

...I don't really see the logic here :dunno:

That's 2/3 stop, not 1 stop.

And yes, I don't see the logic as well.

A prime lens got to be at least F2.8, better still F1.8 or even F1.4.

Well, AF-S and VR are just some lastest electronic frills which are not essential for basic photo taking.

I would rather keep my good olde 85mmF1.8D.

I doubt Nikon is gonna to sell this lens is even reasonable quantities.

Mee too I don't see the logic. But one thing for sure it will make a good portrait lens for FF.

It is a DX lens by the way.

I really don't know what Nikon is trying to do with this? :dunno: Trying to show the D40/40x/60/3000/5000 people that they still care?

Nikon probably wanted to:
(a) add a prime lens for DX users with AFS
(b) want the lens to be (relatively) cheap
(c) want to keep the lens small

So some unknown reasons they went to 85mm, and applying criteria (b) and (c) ended up with f/3.5. Perhaps if Nikon stayed away from making it a Micro-Nikkor it is probably possible at that price or slightly higher to have made it AFS DX 85mm f/1.8G, which I suspect will have more following. My take would have been making it AFS 85mm f/1.8G.

Personally if available I would buy AFS DX 85mm f/1.8G to make up a 3- or 4-lens combo all f/1.8 stretching from either 20mm or 24mm, 35mm, 50mm to 85mm with a D60 or D5000 or ultralight, fast lenses, travel kit.

Strange decision by Nikon to make this lens.

Last edited:
Nikon probably wanted to:
(a) add a prime lens for DX users with AFS
(b) want the lens to be (relatively) cheap
(c) want to keep the lens small

So some unknown reasons they went to 85mm, and applying criteria (b) and (c) ended up with f/3.5. Perhaps if Nikon stayed away from making it a Micro-Nikkor it is probably possible at that price or slightly higher to have made it AFS DX 85mm f/1.8G, which I suspect will have more following. My take would have been making it AFS 85mm f/1.8G.

Strange decisions.

I think Nikon wants to take care of the entry level DSLR users. The list price of the AF-S 60/2.8 is around $1100. It's not just a prime lens. It's an AF-S Micro! To buy back the users who are migrating to Tamron 90mm.

Last edited:
I think Nikon wants to take care of the entry level DSLR users. The list price of the AF-S 60/2.8 is around $1100. It's not just a prime lens. It's an AF-S Micro! To buy back the users who are migrating to Tamron 90mm.

Perhaps Nikon should have stretched the design brief to make it AFS DX 85mm f/2.8G Micro Nikkor.

Any discussion from me is academic, as I have both the AFS 60mm f/2.8G Micro Nikkor and the AFS 105mm f/2.8G VR Micro Nikkor.

I want an AFS 85mm f/1.8G!

Perhaps Nikon should have stretched the design brief to make it AFS DX 85mm f/2.8G Micro Nikkor.

Any discussion from me is academic, as I have both the AFS 60mm f/2.8G Micro Nikkor and the AFS 105mm f/2.8G VR Micro Nikkor.

I want an AFS 85mm f/1.8G!

Then the price will probably be in the range of the AF-S 60/2.8 which might be a put off. Producing a f/3.5 save them some glass and quite a bit of simulation time. ;p

An updated Micro 200mm &/or Micro 70-180mm would have caused more excitement :cool:

No disrespect to other posters but i think it's a good move in the right direction & i'll buy it.

1) For DX users, it makes sense as it complements DX normal zooms well versus the 60/2.8 which can be considered a bit mid-range, not sufficiently tele. 105/2.8 nice but too expensive.
2) Keeps price-sensitive Nikonians away from Tamron/Tokina/Sigma.
3) For those wanting 1.4 or 2.8, you have the current AFD 85 f1.4/1.8.
4) At f3.5, it's lighter, cheaper and only 2/3 stop slower which for macro's may not all be that significant.

Fundamentally, it's not about excitement but rather economics.

:) good lens.. but at 1:1, what is the actual aperture of this lens?

both the 60 and 105 reduces to F4.8, so am keen to know about this

:) good lens.. but at 1:1, what is the actual aperture of this lens?

both the 60 and 105 reduces to F4.8, so am keen to know about this

2/3 stop slower than F4.8? Maybe...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.