New Point and shoot as a 2nd cam to the dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.

dslang

Jul 14, 2005
Hey

Getting sick of dragging around the Nikon d70 (with lenses and flashes) to shoot partying and just general usage.

I'm wanting to get a compact digital point and shoot. Not really any brand preference, and price is a negotiable thing as long as it isnt crazy high. Coming off a DSLR I'd want a little more manual control than most point and shoots (for those "just in case" situations where there's an incredible shot that came out of the blue but all you have is the P&S) but that's about it. Must be small enough to fit comfortably into pocket, however, as I'll be carrying it around in my pocket most of the time.

I'm in Canada right now so it's pretty difficult to find out what's on the market in Singapore, and how much for, although I'll be back in Singapore for 2 weeks starting dec 19.

Anyone got recommendations? The Sony DSC-P200, DSC-T9 and Canon Powershot S80 look enticing from what I've seen on dpreview, but have no practical knowledge about them.

Thanks
-David

Fuji Finepix F11, 6.3MP, abt $600 with 256 xD card and original Fuji leather case. This is what I use now when I don't want to lug my D70 & lenses around :)

It's very good, with high ISO (80 to 1600) & good noise management, negligible shutter lag & start-up time, and fantastic battery life :thumbsup:

U can refer to the Equipment Discussion -> Fujifilm threads of this forum. There are a number of threads discussing this camera!

newegg has an awesome deal for the canon sd400

269 including shipping + 1gb sd card

dont know if they ship to the u.s .

edit: ship to canada

wiz23 said:
Fuji Finepix F11, 6.3MP, abt $600 with 256 xD card and original Fuji leather case. This is what I use now when I don't want to lug my D70 & lenses around :)

It's very good, with high ISO (80 to 1600) & good noise management, negligible shutter lag & start-up time, and fantastic battery life :thumbsup:

U can refer to the Equipment Discussion -> Fujifilm threads of this forum. There are a number of threads discussing this camera!

High ISO is a big plus if you need to make snapshots of night scenes and some dim indoor shots. Many digicams cannot make it at even ISO400. IMO, ISO800 is more than good inuf if the noise level is well managed. A big difference between getting a decent night scene and an unusuable one due to cam shake.

The other aspects aren't that important for a digicam - like Mp count, 3x zoom, lens sharpness (very little diff among all the digicams from reputable brands). In fact, these days, most of them comes with fast start-up and hardly any shutterlag and larger LCD.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Anymore thoughts? The panasonic does look rather noisy (in the full res samples). The F11 looks like a pretty sweet all rounder cam.

Anyone have experiencese with the sonys and canons though?

Ricoh?

trlnlty said:
newegg has an awesome deal for the canon sd400

269 including shipping + 1gb sd card

dont know if they ship to the u.s .

edit: ship to canada

wah this offer till when sia?

Power sia.

Canon Powershot S80 is a good cam...:thumbsup:

your initial post said you are "Getting sick of dragging around the Nikon d70 (with lenses and flashes) to shoot partying and just general usage".

in that case, what you need is something ultra compact and tiny. Something you can fit into your pocket when clubbing? dont get misled by suggestions. Get what you need.

I would forget about manual controls entirely if I were you, and fully concentrate on something ultra compact.

wiz23 said:
Fuji Finepix F11, 6.3MP, abt $600 with 256 xD card .

I support wiz23, Fuji F11 should feed your needs...

I'm using Canon A75, so as i can switch my CF card between my 10D..:sweatsm: Cheap digicam and planning to get a 0.7X WCON to make it as wide as 24.5mm :thumbsup: !
But poor thing is the ISO noise, ISo400 i already see many noise liao...

Juz decide on your own!

Status
Not open for further replies.