New Photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astley

Feb 7, 2008
I was wondering, apart from a basic body and a 18-55mm lens, what other camera equipment would a amateur/intermediate photographer need?

Accessories, like tripods.

What you'll need is to take lots of photos, learn and share and find out what else you need in terms of equipments. No need to rush and get every item available, coz u might not b needing/using them often/at all. Find out what you love to shoot before deciding on what else to get. :)

Dont worry about your equipment limitations yet, instead learn to use your camera well.

As for the equipment you can get external flash, tripod, extra lens, batteries etc etc.. but if you are not sure what equipment to use when, there is no point in getting them yet.

A photography instructor once told me never to shoot without one of those lens..shade..cap things, so I was wondering what you guys think about it.

Is there anything I need just for the purpose of protecting my camera/lens?

The lens hood is mostly used to prevent glare and to protect your lens from direct contact.

I would say for now the glare wont give you any problems, and if you are just a bit careful when using your camera the lens hood is not necessary for the kit lens.
But if you get a more expensive lens then its worth to get a lens hood too.:)

Yeah, a electronic dry cabinet to store your expensive equipment.

I guess the next thing would be the tripod, especially in low light conditions.

Err..don't forget.. Time and Great Kaki to shoot wif and learn from.. Happy shooting...

I'm newbie to DSLR also.. last foto shoot... many styles came out.. i.e. OF, CS, UE, OE, WSP, WA, CFCF, BF and the all important GG..:sweat:

OF = Out of Focus
CS = Camera shake
UE = Underexposed (related to WSP, WA)
OE = Overexposed (related to WSP, WA)
WSP = Wrong Shuttle Speed
WA = Wrong Aperture
CFCF = CF Card Full
BF = Battery Flat
GG = Galang Gabot.

See.. you can get all this from the kit lens.. isn't it just wonderful. Got out there and experience all those..good learning process to me..:bsmilie:

Get a dry cabinet. Give it a proper storage from day one.

I was wondering, apart from a basic body and a 18-55mm lens, what other camera equipment would a amateur/intermediate photographer need?

Accessories, like tripods.

for me, dry cabi, diffuser for onboard flash (try the GF puffer fish diffuser), extra batt, extra CF cards and tripod.

happy shooting! ;)

Very essential items: tripod, polariser, cleaning kit, extra batt, extra memory cards

Later on: filters (ND, GND), lens (macro, telezoom, wide angle), flash, lens hood

the MOST important thing for a new photographer is to shoot... shoot.. shoot.. shoot... shoot and most of all.. SHOOT... not BUY... BUY.. BUY... !!!

Totally, agree ... keep shooting , but look at the shots that come out. Think and reflect what you did, if you want to note them down. Feedback from the shots will tell you what to do in future when you face similar situations. There is not course in this world that can teach you how to shoot in every possible situation, so happy snapping..

i believe there are still some essential items to be bought in case you cannot capture the same event over and over again.
After the event then u realised u needed some equipment would be too late.
Hence plan at least 2-4 weeks ahead of what you gonna shoot and get the equipment in advance to practise.
If you not gonna shoot macro so soon, then no point buying a macro lens too soon.
In other words, fulfil the current needs as you move forward.

What you'll need is to take lots of photos, learn and share and find out what else you need in terms of equipments. No need to rush and get every item available, coz u might not b needing/using them often/at all. Find out what you love to shoot before deciding on what else to get. :)

Well Said! :D I also started out on photography and initially I wanted to get a battery grip coz I thought I would have so much time shooting I will use a lot of battery haha.

Finally, I read through the forums I realise my D80 has lower batt consumption compared to others. So I thought battery grip is not practical for the moment. There and then i learned to budget what I need rather then what i thought I need.

So I agree that you should shoot more and then decide what you need. Rather than what you think you need.

Also, I like to add on, you have to keep reading up the forums to know ur camera limits and advantages (like in my case, knowing the battery consumption is low, i decide to not get the grip first.

Take your sweet time to explore.;p

my 2 cents worth.

1) get cleaning kit.
2) get dry box.
3) get whatever that comes along when you need (while you shoot more to learn) in STEPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.