New Pentaxian saying "Hi!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

danster

Oct 12, 2003
Hi all,

Just got myself a GX10 (equivalent to the K10D) with kit lens and am having a blast with it! In fact, I'm having so much fun that I'm considering dumping my Canon system to buy more Pentax lenses! Here are some initial impressions (coming from a current 40D user).

1) AF is FAST, even with the kit lens! To my mind no slower than my 40D.
2) SR works! Can get sharp images at as slow as 1/5s at 55mm focal length.
3) Love the custom function where you can set the initial zoom-in during playback - every DSLR should have one
4) Love the custom function allowing cam to automatically change WB when using flash - priceless
5) No direct excess to flash comp, ISO and WB is a pain but something I can live with
6) Ergonomics can be better (grip too short for my hands) - I think Nikons are the best in this respect.
7) Image quality - got my JPEG settings at Sharpness + 2 and Contract + 1, is it too aggressive?
8) Build quality - SOLID, to my mind as solid as my 40D
9) Value for money - without equal for the price I paid!

Some queries though:

1) where can I find Pentax lenses? Nobody in the Pennisular area seem to sell them? Am looking for Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 or Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Does the Tokina 16-50mm f2.8 come in Pentax mount?

2) when shooting in Av mode and for when shooting dark scenes, the shutter speed and the flash signal blink and the shot comes out underexposed. In other words, there seems to be a minimum shutter speed set and camera doesn't allow longer exposures. what am I doing wrong?

That's it for now. Long live Pentax!

Hi, congrats on the new camera! And welcome to the Pentaxians' family. I'm sure you'd love it here :)

For your Q1, I'm sure you can find some lenses in some local shops. If can't, you can always order them from some reputable shops. If you don't mind Shui Huo, go to OP in SLS and try them out :D

As for your Q2, I don' have an answer for you yet. Probably someone else can help.

Again, welcome and enjoy your new gear :)

Welcome :)

Like Fengwei mentioned, OP is a good place to get pentax lenses.

7) Image quality - got my JPEG settings at Sharpness + 2 and Contract + 1, is it too aggressive?

I find that its up to your preference. If possible, RAW would be a better choice since you can edit according to your preference according to situation. :)

Welcome and congrats on the new camera.

1) For pentax lenses, most shop just stock up some lenses. For third party lenses probably have to spend a bit more time to look for it. The Tokina 16-50mm f2.8 does no come in Pentax mount.

2) For your case, the shutter speed blinks because the scene is too dark. The flash signal blinks because using of flash is recomended. Open the aperture further if lens allow or use a flash to get a proper exposure of the scene.

Welcome!!

1) AF is FAST, even with the kit lens! To my mind no slower than my 40D.:embrass:

How could it be. I can feel my K10D AF is much much slower than C-30D, or could it be true that the GX10 AF is faster than the P-K10D??

Hello! Feel happy for you hehe. About the ergonomics part, i also feel that way but the cam should be designed with the battery grip in mind since it looks so harmonious together and feels REALLY good. The day i bought the grip my doubts are gone, really lush comfort :D

For Sigma 18-50/2.8 you can try OP at Sim Lim Sq 6th floor. I think MS color might have a Tamron 28-75/2.8 and there is no Tokina ATX 16-50/2.8 for K-mount because Pentax is selling the DA* 16-50/2.8 they designed together with Tokina.

Hi hi! welcome to the family
5) No direct excess to flash comp, ISO and WB is a pain but something I can live with

True for the other 2 but for ISO, u can access it quickly by pressing the ok button and turning the front dial. Don't think it can get any faster than this. Also u can set the ISO to auto by pressing the ok and green button together.

Or u can always use the Sv mode! :D

Hi hi! welcome to the family

True for the other 2 but for ISO, u can access it quickly by pressing the ok button and turning the front dial. Don't think it can get any faster than this. Also u can set the ISO to auto by pressing the ok and green button together.

Or u can always use the Sv mode! :D

Hey thanks for the tip. This is really useful! I think I'll wait for the tamron 17-50mm to come out in Pentax mount since I loved the Canon mount version.

How much is the DA 16-50mm and is it available in Singapore? I may have a fren going to Hong Kong so that might be an option too!

Hey thanks for the tip. This is really useful! I think I'll wait for the tamron 17-50mm to come out in Pentax mount since I loved the Canon mount version.

How much is the DA 16-50mm and is it available in Singapore? I may have a fren going to Hong Kong so that might be an option too!

The tamron 17-50 probably will only be available after mid year. The DA 16-50 is available in Singapore. Most shop should have the stock now.:)

Welcome!!

1) AF is FAST, even with the kit lens! To my mind no slower than my 40D.:embrass:

How could it be. I can feel my K10D AF is much much slower than C-30D, or could it be true that the GX10 AF is faster than the P-K10D??

Not really.. I feel that the K10D focusing is as fast as the 30D, a tad slower than the 40D. It's the kit lense that is slow in movement rather than the body.

The only annoying factor is the distance focusing rather than contrast. Makes focusing on macro lenses irritating because the camera focusing keeps trying to compensate for handshake.

Not really.. I feel that the K10D focusing is as fast as the 30D, a tad slower than the 40D. It's the kit lense that is slow in movement rather than the body.

The only annoying factor is the distance focusing rather than contrast. Makes focusing on macro lenses irritating because the camera focusing keeps trying to compensate for handshake.

Hi
You can switch off the anti-shake if you don't need it.
cheers:)

Hi

Hi

It's not the Shake-reduction, it's the AF system trying to compensate for handshake. Basically, when your handshake moves the lense just slightly forward before focus lock, the AF will try to focus again and keeps repeating the cycle. Somewhat irritating for those shots you know you can hand hold but simply cannot lock on. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.