New Pentax user

"****" - so i am not the only one using this technique (which i presume is 1 workaround).

haha. what i think is most of the time they are too near to the subject instead of having FF problem ba. haha.

I want to try a K-5!!! Stupid income not enough to get one.. envy others that could get 1 easily.. sobs

what i think is that there are some AF problems under poor lighting conditions. its probably valid.

but it doesn't affect me much though... i don't do much low-light work with AF.

If that's the case , isn't that enough to just get FA 43 and just take a step forward for 31 and backward to get 77mm ?

That's more cost effective . Lol .

I believe FA 43 must be there for a reason :)

Same go to 31 and 77

yes... and the reason is 35mm film. APS-C with crop factor gives u 64.5mm... its a rather number. :think:

If that's the case , isn't that enough to just get FA 43 and just take a step forward for 31 and backward to get 77mm ?

Same go to 31 and 77

IIRC 43mm is the diagonal of full frame sensor, 36mmx24mm gives you 43.26mm

Same go to 31 and 77

Some people like the rendering of the FA 43, like le petite prince. Its a very good lens for its online price. (not singapore prices lol)

But in a small room, there is no space to take a few steps back if you only have the 43, which feels a bit long indoors.

And the FA 77 has a nice working distance for shooting portraiture outdoors, as compared to 43 which feels a bit short.

This is just a personal preference due to my shooting requirements. I also currently have the FA 50 which is a nice stopgap for the 43.

what i think is that there are some AF problems under poor lighting conditions. its probably valid.

but it doesn't affect me much though... i don't do much low-light work with AF.

I am not sure how many K-5 owners actually bothered to read the Falk Lumo article properly before commenting or dismissing any issues.

I love my K-5 to bits and I would not hesitate to recommend to others but I will make sure that they understand its current shortcomings before they drop $1.7k on a camera.

I am not sure how many K-5 owners actually bothered to read the Falk Lumo article properly before commenting or dismissing any issues.

I love my K-5 to bits and I would not hesitate to recommend to others but I will make sure that they understand its current shortcomings before they drop $1.7k on a camera.

I read not only that article but over the rest of the sites on this subject. My conclusion is that this is a real and critical issue for low light and high ISO shooting which the K5 is good for. Therefore, this goes against the key benefits of the K5. I have tested both the 60D and D7000 very thoroughly, and if not for the color rendition of Canon, I would not have taken this painful road. The Nikon D7000 is also not without problem but they don't have this critical AF issue. At my age, I cannot afford to go through another cycle of trial and error. I have decided that Pentax will be my final choice until I am gone. So I have actually budgeted at least 5K to complete my system and hopefully it will last the rest of my life time, the lenses especially. I am willing to buy some of the experienced gentlemen here a couple rounds of beer, of course including Frank, just to listen to how they handle this issue. I will most probably arrange it with Frank. Cheers.

A sensible course of action, Anthony.

I will post here if I should come across any significant updates on the AF issue.

P.S. the 60D takes great pictures imo but the control layout makes me weep in despair.

A sensible course of action, Anthony.

I will post here if I should come across any significant updates on the AF issue.

P.S. the 60D takes great pictures imo but the control layout makes me weep in despair.

I had gone through 40D, 50D and 5D and my only issue with Canon is color rendition. All the rest, from technical service to post processing softwares, Canon's benefits in these cannot be faulted and I rank it first class. I have not used anything outside Canon's DPP for post processing. It's such a comfortable world and leaving it is "crazy" to many of my friends. But I cannot live in the "Canon glass on Canon camera" world so I adapted and the best camera in the world to do this was my last camera the EOS 5D. I called it the Canon SLR with digital back, simple, stupid but delivers beautiful photos in the true 135 format. Stop-down metering killed me and I could not afford all the Zeiss ZE lenses, so I spent many thousands of dollars playing with old legacy lenses. All these are now gone except 2 Pentax K lenses and my priced possession, the Zeiss Contax Planar 85f1.4 which I intend to convert to Pentax using Leitax mount. It was very painful to see my whole OM collection went for a song. So, I need to buy reassurance before I become fully Pentax-ian.

Last edited:
CorneliusK said:
Rumours of a new firmware 1.03 to address K-5 AF issues

Finally there is some hint of progress on this issue. Lets hope it is released sooner rather than later.

Yup, hope its all good news with the firmware update. With the launch of the k5 silver limited coming soon, it states it comes with the latest firmware. Hope it comes with the fix which at least makes the k5 limited look better. If not, felt more like limited with af problem again. Zzz

Hello Anthony, we just met earlier and these are some of my images in my flicker.;)

Mostly macros though...;), Well we have some great time sharing and drinking too.

marcus

Hello Anthony, we just met earlier and these are some of my images in my flicker.;)

Mostly macros though...;), Well we have some great time sharing and drinking too.

marcus

Hi Marcus,

I enjoyed myself and you guys are great. Hope to learn some macro tricks from you. And many thanks for sending me back.

My hands itched so badly after meeting you guys that I went to pick up my K5 and the FA 31f1.8 limited. This combination is fantastic and I don't think there is any others that come close in looks, size, IQ and price. I am still learning the camera as it is quite a culture shock. I have to unlearn Canon and at my age I am virtually crawling. Took me a long time to figure out how to use my K 135f2.5. I am definitely going to have great fun and I hope you guys can help. Cheers.

Last edited:
Welcome Anthony!

Welcome to Pentax!

Welcome Anthony, K-5 + 31 is really one of the ultimate joys of the Pentax system.

After one day with the K5 I have many ups and downs. Had many problems adjusting to the new system and will need to be very patient. Just downloaded some images to view them on my computer monitor and also hoping to do some post processing with the Pentax Utility. I shot all in raw. I don't seem to be able to anything much to my raw image. What Can I do with raw images apart from converting them to jpec. Can I do the following:
Adjust:
1. Brightness
2. Contrast
3. Saturation
4. Hue
5: Highlight
6. Shadow
7. Sharpness, both masked and unkmask
8. Noise reduction
And many other things like cropping, resizing, batch processing...

When doing all these functions, will the projected image change as you shift the lever because I don't seem to see any change?

All those who shoot in raw, do you need external softwares to do what I have mentioned above.

As I have said earlier, Canon provides a very complete package to do most of things we can do in Lightroom and I was very comfortable with it, as a result, I didn't use any other software to do my post processing. So my main issue my is whether Pentax Utility that comes with the system be able to do all the things I used to do at Canon.

I think I am stuck.

What I do is this.
Simply choose to shoot in RAW.
Then on the camera, select the picture mode that I like. (Eg. Portrait: Hue -1, Sharpness +1, contrast +1)
When processing using Pentax Utility, it will know the picture mode ans setting you shot that photo in.
Just process to JPEG using batch process.

I don't do otherwise, unless the shot is real screwed up (eg. WB very off; Need to recover a lot of highlights/shadows)

Yes, the preview on the Pentax Utility should change if you adjust the settings.

Two important things. The Pentax Utility is pretty screwed up.
1. Try not to batch process more than 120 files. Often it crashes above that number of files selected.

2. Don't click the check box of the thumbnail of the photos. It will crash the program at next startup and never be able to startup.
To recover from that :
Delete the checkinfo.ini file.
It is located in : "<Drive>:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\application data\Pentax\Digital Camera Utility 4>"

After one day with the K5 I have many ups and downs. Had many problems adjusting to the new system and will need to be very patient. Just downloaded some images to view them on my computer monitor and also hoping to do some post processing with the Pentax Utility. I shot all in raw. I don't seem to be able to anything much to my raw image. What Can I do with raw images apart from converting them to jpec. Can I do the following:
Adjust:
1. Brightness
2. Contrast
3. Saturation
4. Hue
5: Highlight
6. Shadow
7. Sharpness, both masked and unkmask
8. Noise reduction
And many other things like cropping, resizing, batch processing...

When doing all these functions, will the projected image change as you shift the lever because I don't seem to see any change?

All those who shoot in raw, do you need external softwares to do what I have mentioned above.

As I have said earlier, Canon provides a very complete package to do most of things we can do in Lightroom and I was very comfortable with it, as a result, I didn't use any other software to do my post processing. So my main issue my is whether Pentax Utility that comes with the system be able to do all the things I used to do at Canon.

I think I am stuck.