New Pentax user

Anthony Lee

Feb 12, 2009
Shunfu Road, Singapore
Hi Pentaxians,

Decided and ordered my Pentax K5, hopefully to pick it up tomorrow. Will meet up with Frank later when he is free to re-organize my manual lenses and maybe pick up some more from him. Being a complete novice in Pentax DSLR, I need some help on a simple casual zoom, 17-50f2.8 type. Should I go Pentax, Sigma or Tamron? Thanks for your input.

Anthony Lee

Feb 12, 2009
Shunfu Road, Singapore
Welcome to Pentax family :) I'm sure you'd love it here.

Hope to see you again soon ;)
Thanks, will see you as soon as the K5 is in my hands. One question, I have a KPS 1.35x VF magnifier that comes with 3 base plates, for Canon, Nikon and Pentax. Will this fit the current K5?

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
Anthony, welcome!

Hope you will like the community here.
Your viewfinder should fit. I recall it fits K10D and K20D on the instruction sheet.

Anthony Lee

Feb 12, 2009
Shunfu Road, Singapore
Many thanks for the warm welcome friends. I am not new as I have been crawling in the Pentax threads for at least 1 year.Hope to learn from all of you.

I have budget for one of the 3 FA ltd lenses, which one should I start first? I have been answering such questions on the Canon forum, now I am asking here. I am more interested in ultimate lens IQ as compared to those in its own class that can be used on Pentax DSLR.

felixcat8888

May 8, 2005
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Many thanks for the warm welcome friends. I am not new as I have been crawling in the Pentax threads for at least 1 year.Hope to learn from all of you.

I have budget for one of the 3 FA ltd lenses, which one should I start first? I have been answering such questions on the Canon forum, now I am asking here. I am more interested in ultimate lens IQ as compared to those in its own class that can be used on Pentax DSLR.
I have both the FA43mm and the FA77mm but there are some here who also have the FA31mm.

I love both the FA43mm and the FA77mm but I find myself using the FA43mm more...

CorneliusK

Jan 23, 2010
Putting either the Tamron or the Sigma on the weatherproof K-5 would be such a shame.

If you have the budget go for the DA* - it goes wonderfully with the K-5.

Re: FA Limiteds, from a focal point perspective, I find that that the 43 is not as useful as either the 31 and 77 focal length - its just a few steps forward and back from either.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2004
I have budget for one of the 3 FA ltd lenses, which one should I start first? .
Welcome! Depends on what you shoot most, the 3 FA Ltd are quite a bit apart in focal length, esp the FA77.. abit apart in price, esp FA43 (cheapest by far).

I myself have the FA43.. love it for its pancake size and sharpness.

ricsal

Jun 23, 2007
Putting either the Tamron or the Sigma on the weatherproof K-5 would be such a shame.

If you have the budget go for the DA* - it goes wonderfully with the K-5.

Re: FA Limiteds, from a focal point perspective, I find that that the 43 is not as useful as either the 31 and 77 focal length - its just a few steps forward and back from either.
Funny...I dun find it shameful. :think:

ricsal

Jun 23, 2007
die lah... my fave macro lens not WR one leh... so malu :embrass:
My only WR lens is 18-55! :embrass: shhhh.

Anyways, to TS. Welcome to Pentax.

Can see us Sharp Tongues, Long Tongues and Blunt Tongues. :)

Last edited:

detritus

Sep 12, 2009
shootingbugs.blogspot.com
My only WR lens is 18-55! :embrass:
aiya WR is only one factor in the whole equation lah...

admittedly, its a good to have if:

- need to shoot in adverse condition
- want the re-assurance
- got the budget for DA* lens

so many pple have had good experience with the 17-50 that its just too narrow to write it off just because its non-WR.

of course, if WR is impt, the DA*16-50 is a very capable lens too but its also much more than WR :lovegrin: love that lens to bits.

Can see us Sharp Tongues, Long Tongues and Blunt Tongues. :)
which one are u? or are u all 3? :bsmilie:

Last edited:

Anthony Lee

Feb 12, 2009
Shunfu Road, Singapore
Many thanks for the feedback so far. Just visited some reviews of the lenses I asked about and have some ideas. I am now most worried about the AF issues of the K5 and do not want to be buying a faulty camera for S$ 1.7K. I will want to wait until the problem is resolved before I come in. What a disappointment after all the hypes and I think the problem is pretty real as I just spent a few hours reading here and at Pentax forum. Well, will have to use my 6 years old PnS for a short while. Hope it can clear off soon.

wilb87

Dec 19, 2010
Many thanks for the feedback so far. Just visited some reviews of the lenses I asked about and have some ideas. I am now most worried about the AF issues of the K5 and do not want to be buying a faulty camera for S$ 1.7K. I will want to wait until the problem is resolved before I come in. What a disappointment after all the hypes and I think the problem is pretty real as I just spent a few hours reading here and at Pentax forum. Well, will have to use my 6 years old PnS for a short while. Hope it can clear off soon.
It isn't a faulty camera. From what i heard of, the only issue now is the AF in low light with very fast lens. Not really sure about any other issues, as i don't own it.

Sometimes reading is not enough, you have to really use it i guess. Some problems have been blown out of proportion online. i am glad that i bought my K-r even though there have been some issues reported with it at forums, i have yet to have any problems with my camera.

The Pentax K-5 is really a very good camera.

MarineX

Deregistered
Dec 25, 2009
All along i thought it was normal and switch to MF to take such shots..

Since i am doing it the same for my old canon 500D...

detritus

Sep 12, 2009
shootingbugs.blogspot.com
All along i thought it was normal and switch to MF to take such shots..

Since i am doing it the same for my old canon 500D...
:bsmilie: +1 to that but no. The loudest complainers are those who want a perfect camera for abt $1700. So af must work perfectly for them.

Some of the shortcomings are valid. Still, i'ld rather use my camera than whine about it.

Last edited:

MarineX

Deregistered
Dec 25, 2009
:bsmilie: +1 to that but no. The loudest complainers are those who want a perfect camera for abt $1700. So af must work perfectly for them.

Some of the shortcomings are valid. Still, i'ld rather use my camera than whine about it.
"****" - so i am not the only one using this technique (which i presume is 1 workaround).

haha. what i think is most of the time they are too near to the subject instead of having FF problem ba. haha.

I want to try a K-5!!! Stupid income not enough to get one.. envy others that could get 1 easily.. sobs

Supersimon27

Jan 20, 2010
If that's the case , isn't that enough to just get FA 43 and just take a step forward for 31 and backward to get 77mm ?

That's more cost effective . Lol .

I believe FA 43 must be there for a reason :)

Same go to 31 and 77

Top Bottom