New Pentax KR Owner - Clarifications

Splitfirz

Oct 15, 2010
Hi guys!

I just ordered the Pentax k-r dual kit lens package from Emjay.
As I am totally new to SLR photography, I would like to ask for some advice about DSLR maintenance.

Firstly, I believe I would have to get a UV lens filter separately for my camera to prevent dust from entering the lens?

Secondly, I suppose I could get any SDHC memory cards for picture storage?

I would kindly appreciate any comments :)

UV filter is for lens... they are meant to "protect" the front lens element from possible scratches, finger print etc... i dun think u can keep out dust 100%... anyway its a WR lens... supposingly better equip to keep dust out...

SD card is up to you... but i have experience data corruption from Kingston, could be just be luck, so far i have no problems from Sandisk and Transcend... but they are slightly most expensive of course....

UV filter is for lens... they are meant to "protect" the front lens element from possible scratches, finger print etc... i dun think u can keep out dust 100%... anyway its a WR lens... supposingly better equip to keep dust out...

SD card is up to you... but i have experience data corruption from Kingston, could be just be luck, so far i have no problems from Sandisk and Transcend... but they are slightly most expensive of course....

K-r come with WR lenses ?

The kit lenses that come with the camera all now have the PENTAX SP (Super Protect) coating to repel dust, water and grease on the front element. If the lens has the weather resistant name, it will have the WR label. Basically you don't actually need a UV filter but if you're afraid of damaging the front element then a lens hood would do just as well as a filter. With filters, always get the best one available.

Your camera can use any SD card but it is better to stick with the reputable brands for reliability. Most Class 4 SD cards are fine for normal shooting. However if you plan to shoot at high frames per second or video, then get an SD card that can transfer data faster (Class 10 and better) like the Sandisk Extreme. Always format your SD card with the camera.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies guys!

Guess I'll get a len's hood instead. Wasn't aware of the SP coating on the lenses :D

Thanks for your replies guys!

Guess I'll get a len's hood instead. Wasn't aware of the SP coating on the lenses :D

I would suggest paying a little more and get the Hoya HMC multi-coated UV filters.

i am currently using strontium sd cards... got 8gb class 6 sd card for less than $60 in the pc show ... so far its held up well - have taken few hundred photos in them...

erm, you might wanna get a dry box or digi cab.? To prevent fugus on ur lenses or camera.

filters you can get from the Buy and Sell section of clubsnap forum. Quite cheap if you find good deals ;)

same for sd cards, you can find them in the Buy and Sell section. If you got the dough get the class 10 sd cards.

erm, you might wanna get a dry box or digi cab.? To prevent fugus on ur lenses or camera.

filters you can get from the Buy and Sell section of clubsnap forum. Quite cheap if you find good deals ;)

same for sd cards, you can find them in the Buy and Sell section. If you got the dough get the class 10 sd cards.

yes. I think i would be getting a simple dry box, with silica gel as it is a cheaper alternative.
after much consideration, i guess getting a UV lens would be more safe-proof ( kiasu-me :D )

UV filters (unless you get a good one) will affect the image quality, esp at night.

Hoods can improve your image quality by reducing stray light entering the lens.

Its a no brainer as to which is the better choice to protect your lens with.

UV filters (unless you get a good one) will affect the image quality, esp at night.

Hoods can improve your image quality by reducing stray light entering the lens.

Its a no brainer as to which is the better choice to protect your lens with.

I support hood too . All my lenses Got hood too

Can consider getting a dry cabinet for around 120dollars.

Btw may i know how much is the price for K-R 18-55kit? The lens is WR?

Can consider getting a dry cabinet for around 120dollars.

Btw may i know how much is the price for K-R 18-55kit? The lens is WR?

if your body is not WR, why would you want to pair it with a WR lens?

if your body is not WR, why would you want to pair it with a WR lens?

Yea i was thinking about it too. I thought i saw somebody saying else where that the lens is wr.:eek:

I just emailed emjay, hopefully still got pre-order pricing. hmmm.

Hi, I just got my Pentax kr kit 3, still fresh.

I'm thinking of getting hood instead of filters to protect my lenses after reading this thread,
but I can't find a price list for hoods.

What type/brand of hood is good for 18~55mm & 55~300mm?
I heard some hood might cause vignette effect for wide lens.
My budget for 2 hoods is 50 or less.

Pls advise. :)

Hi can ask where to get the Hood for the DA35?

I'm thinking of getting hood instead of filters to protect my lenses after reading this thread,

for hood , can either try manly or artwork :)

They got some good 3rd party hood

I bought a cheap hood from eBay.
Generally works well except at 18mm where vignetting is visible at the corners.
On zoom lenses no issues.

But being a paranoid owner of a new Pentax camera, got a Hoya UV(0) Super HMC filter as well.