Not open for further replies.

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
It's a *istDL.

D --> Ds (small D) --> DL (little D) :bsmilie:

2300.jpg

It has a 2.5" LCD screen, but mostly a stripped down DS. Looks nice though.

Anyone wanna downgrade ;)

Cheers!

D --> Ds (small D) --> DL (little D) --> :bsmilie: DM (Mini D) :bsmilie:

Is this for real or a hoax? A joke? I'm thinking of getting *ist DS leh. If this is for real i must look at the specs of this.

I still find my DS good enough.. other than it does not have continuous AF, i think...

The DL has 3pt auto focus instead of the DS's 11 pt auto focus? I saw tat the DL uses Pentamirror as opposed to DS's Petaprism.

Guess it's a downgrade based on this 2 points? Though it gains a slightly larger 2.5" LCD screen. But it's not tat important isn't it?

tiong78 said:
3 pt AF is very restrictive for sharp images... i oredi find my Ds a bit low on AF pts oredi.

Well, acutally I've never used those 11 pt AF on my Ds, and I still got some sharp images :D I only use SPOT focusing (at the center point alone), focusing and re-framing. That's what I'm used to anyway. I feel it's much faster than to select those AF point.

So for guys like me, it's not a MUST I guess. It's just for me though.

Cheers!

for small aperture,that technique would be ok. But for wide apertures and close subjects up to 3-4m, that can't work cos the shift in position will cause the focus pt to be blur actually.

I've always favoured cameras with large and bright viewfinders. That's one of the reasons why I absolutely love the Pentax MX. Even my MZ-3, with its penta-prism viewfinder and ghostless coating, pales in comparison. Looking back, my MZ-50 with its penta-mirror box is suitable only for point-and-shoot situations in my opinion.

I think the *ist DL will appeal to digital point-and-shoot upgraders with its low price point, but probably not to old-timers. And this market is probably what Pentax hopes to target with this release.

fengwei said:
Well, acutally I've never used those 11 pt AF on my Ds, and I still got some sharp images :D I only use SPOT focusing (at the center point alone), focusing and re-framing. That's what I'm used to anyway. I feel it's much faster than to select those AF point.

So for guys like me, it's not a MUST I guess. It's just for me though.

Cheers!
But when you reframe, wont the focus change a little bit (though not visible).

Fluorite said:
But when you reframe, wont the focus change a little bit (though not visible).

Yeah, it'll change a little bit. But I'm very carefull when reframing, just make sure where I'm focusing at is still in focus in the final pic :)

Well, might try using AF point selection next time and see how it works.

Cheers!

I'm on the look out for the best deal on Pentax *ist DS.

The I.T show doesn't promise much. $1699 for the body & standard lens (or alternatively, you can pick a Sigma 18mm-50mm lense), 1gz SD card, cleaning kit & rechargeable batteries kit.

At Alan Photo Sim Lim Square, $1533 (i believe i can round it down to $1500 if i'm firmly buying it tat day), the body & standard lens & batteries rechargeable kit)

Is the price good enough? Where else can i enquire? My fav MS Color where i usually buy my cameras said they dun carry Pentax dSLR, only Canon & Nikon (then same old story, recommend 350D & D70, i told them a pity this time i can't buy from them liao... haha)...

I read many reviews on this camera. I like the body, really. So nice. But the problem is that technical wise it isnt a performer, right?

if u are into sports photography, its probably not that suitable.

if u work under natural light condition, it should be more than adequate for your purpose. sometimes i experienced problem with sychronisation of flash.
so i'm not exactly sure if its the fault of cam or is it juz me. most likely its me.

sharpness of the jpeg files is probably a concern, but i heard that all u need is to switch to "natural" mode for it to be sharp.Tried it, looks pretty ok compared to the saturated mode.
Personally, i always use RAW, so i'm not too concern about it.

Lack of Lens in Spore is also a real concern, would probably need to preorder to get your hands on any lens.

tiong78 said:
TK at shaw towers? think FW got his over there.
if u r going there, would u mind askin if they carry the 40mm?
thanks.

Yeah, I got my Ds body alone for S$1260 nett over three months ago. You should be able to buy it at a lower price now I guess.

Looks tiong is very interested in the 40mm lens. I don't know what's so special of the lens except its size. Anyway, good luck finding one :)

Cheers

tiong78 said:
TK at shaw towers? think FW got his over there.
if u r going there, would u mind askin if they carry the 40mm?
thanks.

tiong, u might well as one shop to make special order for u.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.