New P & S: Canon or Panasonic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anjii

Aug 13, 2008
Hi!

I'm new here and am looking to get a new point and shoot. I have shortlisted the choices to:

1. Canon Ixus 85 IS (aka SD770 IS)
2. Panasonic Lumix FX36

The prices of both models are very similar (currently hovering at around S$400 - S$455). I am torn between the 2 because:

1. Canon 85 - produces rich colors, but lens at only 35mm
2. Panasonic FX36 - wide angle lens! but alas, flat colors (from what I can see from sample photos online)

I would be taking snapshots both indoors (60%) and outdoors (40%), as well as macro shots.

Any (personal/ professional) opinions/ suggestions/ input on which camera is be a better choice would be very greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

PS: If only there is a camera which has both wide angle lens and rich photo colors!

take the canon then, panny got poor indoor performance due to noise at higher iso unless you use flash.

Last edited:
If you take so much indoor, you may want to consider Fujifilm F series or camera (e.g. F50, F100), which has better noise performance over the other 2 brands. While Canon perform better than Panasonic in high ISO condition.

canon sure CAN ON.

haha lame.

go for the S5 IS then? haha
great P & S.

but either way, i would think the canon one is better too from what i see.

from your list, get the canon

but i'd advise to wait for photokina, lots of new cameras coming out
old models will be on sale

Go for the Fuji f100fd. It comes with 28mm wide lens and is more versatile for indoor and low light photography.

I am currently using a F31fd and other than the fact that the lens is not wide enough (only 36mm), I am happy with the pictures from the camera.

wait for the next cam from panasonic, LX3... very cool...

Hey guys and girls,

Thanks for all your opinions/suggestions! As suggested, I checked out Fujifilm's F series.. looks like a winner with all the raving reviews on its excellent high ISO pics.

However since I would be using the camera for both indoor n outdoors shots, I think I am going to go for a more "all-rounder" point n shoot with rich pic colors, in this case, a Canon.

I narrowed the choices to the following two:

1. Canon Ixus 85 IS - one of the latest models, but lens at only 35mm
2. Canon Ixus 860 IS - a 2007 model but with wide angle lens (28mm)

Which one do you guys think I should get?

Cheers.

Hi..

From the way, you phrase your words, it seems you strongly prefer cam with wide angle. Furthermore, your usage is more towards wide angle. So y dun you test out the
2. Canon Ixus 860 IS - a 2007 model but with wide angle lens (28mm), and see if it fits your needs?

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.