New or used?

virtualme78

Jul 21, 2010
Singapore
www.capturealifestudio.com
Is it better to get new lenses or used ones? What are the pros and cons? Will the experts please stand up.... I repeat. Will the experts please stand up....! I need some advice here... Thanks much!

Is it better to get new lenses or used ones? What are the pros and cons? Will the experts please stand up.... I repeat. Will the experts please stand up....! I need some advice here... Thanks much!

Given a choice and money isn't an issue, everyone wants a new lenses :D
there are always risk when purchasing 2nd hand items, but the advantage is you get them at cheaper price over new ones.

Risk, like any other 2nd hand items, there might be defects / faulty component which you might not detected when you inspect the lens.
Not ruling out the possibilities of scammers too.

Posting this in the Newbies forum doesn't mean you won't get flamed by the senior members of Clubsnap. Yours is a question that has been discussed at great lengths before. Did you even bother doing a quick search yourself?

Look at this link here. It is a Sticky about buying used lenses. A Sticky is a thread that will always be at the top of its forum in order to make it easy to locate and obtain the information. You don't even need to type anything in a search field to see this. Surely just before you posted this thread of your own, you must have come across this pre-existing one, right? Please make your questions more specific, because there are very few kind and patient souls out there who are willing to take your hand and guide you through every single step of the process on a topic that has been covered by so many others here already. While the forum is here to share knowledge and help one another, it would be better that you do not take it for granted.

Now, to answer your question. Owning a new lens means you're the first owner, whereas buying a used lens means you're taking a greater element of risk because you don't know how it was used and kept by the previous owner(s). The used lens may still come with warranty but check on whether you as the new owner are able to make claims with the warranty or if the T&C do not allow for it. It's up to you to work around that. My philosophy is that you pay for what you get. Pay a first-hand price and get peace of mind. Any problems, you can go back to the store you bought it from, or to the lens' Service Centre. If you want to save on a fraction of the retail price, be prepared to encounter potential problems. Of course, there are some instances in which production may have stopped for a lens that you want, so you can only get it from the used market, but it doesn't change the risks that you'll be faced with.

What to check for in a used lens? See the link I gave you.

Posting this in the Newbies forum doesn't mean you won't get flamed by the senior members of Clubsnap. Yours is a question that has been discussed at great lengths before. Did you even bother doing a quick search yourself?

Look at this link here. It is a Sticky about buying used lenses. A Sticky is a thread that will always be at the top of its forum in order to make it easy to locate and obtain the information. You don't even need to type anything in a search field to see this. Surely just before you posted this thread of your own, you must have come across this pre-existing one, right? Please make your questions more specific, because there are very few kind and patient souls out there who are willing to take your hand and guide you through every single step of the process on a topic that has been covered by so many others here already. While the forum is here to share knowledge and help one another, it would be better that you do not take it for granted.

Now, to answer your question. Owning a new lens means you're the first owner, whereas buying a used lens means you're taking a greater element of risk because you don't know how it was used and kept by the previous owner(s). The used lens may still come with warranty but check on whether you as the new owner are able to make claims with the warranty or if the T&C do not allow for it. It's up to you to work around that. My philosophy is that you pay for what you get. Pay a first-hand price and get peace of mind. Any problems, you can go back to the store you bought it from, or to the lens' Service Centre. If you want to save on a fraction of the retail price, be prepared to encounter potential problems. Of course, there are some instances in which production may have stopped for a lens that you want, so you can only get it from the used market, but it doesn't change the risks that you'll be faced with.

What to check for in a used lens? See the link I gave you.

Wow... feeling butt hurt? I've already read thru the thread before posting.... the thread "buying 2nd lenses" actually teaches you / gives you a checklist for the things to look out for when buying 2nd lenses... no? Have you read enough or even understand at all?

I'm talking about pros and cons here... i know the theory of "you get what you paid for" but are we missing something from maybe another point of view? For instance, if you get a really well-maintained lens that is sharp and its at a decent price. Note, i'm not talking about cheap. Isn't that better than getting a new one which may not be as sharp?

Nevertheless, thanks for your advice... Mods can close this thread if they find it pointless.

Well, who wouldn't want a new lens if they have the cash? Can go to the shop test till happy, no user marks, no worry about the condition which it is kept, no worry about worn out parts or grease and stuff applied by the previous owner. However, if low on budget and don't mind a bit of user marks, used lenses are not so bad either.

K saying who wouldn't want to have a new lenses if they have cash isn't helping at all. Rather than saying something that is common knowledge, why not help the TS in deciding?

Personally, TS, i'll go for used goods. Im not someone particular about 2nd hand stuff unless they're really personal like clothes. As you know the new 60D is out, but im waiting to get it 2nd hand because i dont see the difference in buying new and a little used. Saving a couple of hundred bucks seems good enough for me. Obviously do your homework before anything. Testing the lens or body on the spot can be stressful especially if the owner is beside you. That said, its your money and its your right to check it thoroughly. I suggest a good 15mins or more for checking of the body.

I had this friend who bought a 17-55 new at 1550 IIRC. I was appalled and asked why he didnt get 2nd hand for "essentially the same thing". His reply to me was that he was going to use it for a long time, or so he thought. Its hard to say how long a lens is going to stick with you because everyone says that when purchasing a new toy. But when reality sinks in, you might see yourself selling the lens or body on the BnS soon enough.

Another perk of getting used is that you basically get the lens for FREE if you know what i mean. When i buy used stuff, i always will try to get the best price. So when i sell it, if i can sell at the same price, then good for me! No 'cost' whatsoever other than the time i spent to advertise and meet the buyer. But if i manage to sell it a higher price than i bought it, EVEN BETTER right? I've done that a few times and i dont see why i should get a new one if i can live with used stuff.

So its up to your preference really. Knowing how to check for used stuff is one thing,knowing why to get it is another. So CSers please reply with some relevance.

Hope i helped. =D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm talking about pros and cons here... i know the theory of "you get what you paid for" but are we missing something from maybe another point of view? For instance, if you get a really well-maintained lens that is sharp and its at a decent price. Note, i'm not talking about cheap. Isn't that better than getting a new one which may not be as sharp?

Nevertheless, thanks for your advice... Mods can close this thread if they find it pointless.

Erm. Isn't it common sense? It's the same as buying a second hand car, or a second hand cellphone.

For buying used:

Pros:
cheaper.
Already tested, most likely a "good" lens.

Cons:
Warranty status.
Fungus/scratches (this is where the sticky alcohollywood gave you helps)

Why would he feel "butt hurt" when everything he said is correct, and it's the people asking really obvious, common-sense questions that should get their butt spanked? :devil:

Erm. Isn't it common sense? It's the same as buying a second hand car, or a second hand cellphone.

For buying used:

Pros:
cheaper.
Already tested, most likely a "good" lens.

Cons:
Warranty status.
Fungus/scratches (this is where the sticky alcohollywood gave you helps)

Why would he feel "butt hurt" when everything he said is correct, and it's the people asking really obvious, common-sense questions that should get their butt spanked? :devil:

Well Rashkae im not sure what was the context of "most likely a 'good' lens", but i take it as you meant it really was a good lens. However i would choose to think that sellers only sell their lens for 3 reasons.

1)They bought on impulse and left mostly on dry cabi
2)They feel its time to 'upgrade', probably to red rings or white paint.
3)The lens is faulty with focusing issues, or accidentally dropped it, messing up some mechanism in the lens that can only be detected after considerable amount of use. (this i just my theory of cos)

Thus when i interpreted your 'good' lens, i thought of 3) first. I guess TS did his fair share of research but didnt word his opening post well, leading most CSers to think about the common questions of what to look out for and "buying new gives you a peace of mind, 2nd hand comes with risk". This is common sense and rarely have to be pointed out. I personally felt that my post above gave more insight to his question rather.

Not trying to kick up a fuss here but please do not judge a person by his post count, at least not always :thumbsup:

K saying who wouldn't want to have a new lenses if they have cash isn't helping at all. Rather than saying something that is common knowledge, why not help the TS in deciding?

Personally, TS, i'll go for used goods. Im not someone particular about 2nd hand stuff unless they're really personal like clothes. As you know the new 60D is out, but im waiting to get it 2nd hand because i dont see the difference in buying new and a little used. Saving a couple of hundred bucks seems good enough for me. Obviously do your homework before anything. Testing the lens or body on the spot can be stressful especially if the owner is beside you. That said, its your money and its your right to check it thoroughly. I suggest a good 15mins or more for checking of the body.

I had this friend who bought a 17-55 new at 1550 IIRC. I was appalled and asked why he didnt get 2nd hand for "essentially the same thing". His reply to me was that he was going to use it for a long time, or so he thought. Its hard to say how long a lens is going to stick with you because everyone says that when purchasing a new toy. But when reality sinks in, you might see yourself selling the lens or body on the BnS soon enough.

Another perk of getting used is that you basically get the lens for FREE if you know what i mean. When i buy used stuff, i always will try to get the best price. So when i sell it, if i can sell at the same price, then good for me! No 'cost' whatsoever other than the time i spent to advertise and meet the buyer. But if i manage to sell it a higher price than i bought it, EVEN BETTER right? I've done that a few times and i dont see why i should get a new one if i can live with used stuff.

So its up to your preference really. Knowing how to check for used stuff is one thing,knowing why to get it is another. So CSers please reply with some relevance.

Hope i helped. =D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't see why my post is irrelevant, I expressed my view that I would prefer to get a new lens if I have the money, I have also listed out the potential problems of getting a used lens, is that not the pros and cons the TS is asking about? I gave my point of view and so did you, i don't see why i am not helping:dunno:

3)The lens is faulty with focusing issues, or accidentally dropped it, messing up some mechanism in the lens that can only be detected after considerable amount of use. (this i just my theory of cos)

Thus when i interpreted your 'good' lens, i thought of 3) first.

This is really really easy to find out after about 2 minutes of testing. Lenses are complex optically, but simple mechanically. It becomes very easy to find an issue.

This is really really easy to find out after about 2 minutes of testing. Lenses are complex optically, but simple mechanically. It becomes very easy to find an issue.

Perhaps i have encountered one thus im just thinking hypothetically. Haha.

Spree i was not really directing my post at you but as i said,you were stating the obvious. Its akin to saying "what the role of students?". And you say, its to study for their future. I mean everyone (and i mean sane ones of cos) will have that train of thought at the back of their mind, and you dont need to spell it out for them.

Rather you could have said "Students study to gain more knowledge, to become a better person, both morally and ethically, and to gain enough insight to jostle in the working environment 3-7 years down the road."

Wouldnt the 2nd statement be more informative and worth mentioning rather than stating the obvious in the 1st statement?

Perhaps i have encountered one thus im just thinking hypothetically. Haha.

Spree i was not really directing my post at you but as i said,you were stating the obvious. Its akin to saying "what the role of students?". And you say, its to study for their future. I mean everyone (and i mean sane ones of cos) will have that train of thought at the back of their mind, and you dont need to spell it out for them.

Rather you could have said "Students study to gain more knowledge, to become a better person, both morally and ethically, and to gain enough insight to jostle in the working environment 3-7 years down the road."

Wouldnt the 2nd statement be more informative and worth mentioning rather than stating the obvious in the 1st statement?

I get what you mean but the questions the TS are rather general so i replied it in a similar fashion. You do provide a better insight into the question:)

I get what you mean but the questions the TS are rather general so i replied it in a similar fashion. You do provide a better insight into the question:)

Glad to clear the air. The TS indeed did not word his words well and put it in a general form which got many of us confused :confused:

Wow... feeling butt hurt? I've already read thru the thread before posting.... the thread "buying 2nd lenses" actually teaches you / gives you a checklist for the things to look out for when buying 2nd lenses... no? Have you read enough or even understand at all?

I'm not sure what kind of mental image you have with an expression such as "butt hurt", but I'm not keen on finding out either. My purpose in pointing you to that thread is that if you actually look through the first post, you can infer what the potential problems are when buying a used lens. Surely you don't need me to spoon-feed you further. You would probably do the same list of checks when buying first hand, but the possible dangers are more significant when buying it used.

Pros and cons, you ask? To me, it's price and assurance of condition (i.e. warranty validity). Being able to find a sharp copy or not doesn't differ between a new and used lens. A seller can tell you the lens is sharp as a razor, but would you buy without checking? On the other hand, many people end up with lenses that have front/back-focusing issues even when they buy them brand new from reputable retailers - just ask several Sigma lens owners, amongst others. As a buyer, you do your due diligence and make sure you don't pay good money for a lemon, because it is your money.