New or second hand??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbes187

Apr 3, 2007
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

I'm getting my first DSLR and looking at a 2nd hand D80 now. Its has 5mth of warranty left but i have one niggling thought - is it better of for me to buy brand new?

The 2nd hand one is $320 cheaper than a new kit and comes with more memory cards. But I'm afraid that there may be hidden problems which I cant find at the point of purchase. Will these cost me more to repair at the service center than the $320 i saved? What kind of repairs will NOT be free during warranty?

Apparently the 2nd hand one i am looking at has low usage (>5k shutter) and in good conditions.

I need some views! :)

Hello,

Congratulations on deciding on your first DSLR! A Nikon D80 (I believe) is a sturdy model that should not be damaged through normal use in 3 months. Do however ask the user why is he selling off the camera in such a short span of time and when you handle the model, look for cracks, bumps, scratches that might suggest a drop from a height. Do also check the lens and all accessories.As it is still under warrenty, I believe any major repairs are done FOC, but do not have experience in this area. If all is clear, the camera should be ok for you to use for a good two to three years more.

Regards,
Samuel

If i have the extra $320. I'll rather buy new... If i am not that tight i mean. The extra things like memory card i will slowly buy loh... But the description you said, low shutter count of less than 5K, & 5 more mths of warranty... & if externally it looks 10/10, it's not too bad, can consider.

My previous dSLR body in 14mths had 10K+ shutter count... though externally it still is 10/10 as i'm very careful person, & always put in bag when i'm outside & always in dry cabinet when at home... but the high number of shutter count depreciate my selling price quite a bit...

If you are worry about the D80 condition/performance, i would suggest that you buy a brand new D40X instead if you are new to photography. :)

I'm aiming for D80 as I'm upgrading from a FZ50 prosumer so not exactly new...

I think some things I can check to ensure the camera is in good conditions incl:

1) Take white background to check for dust
2) Take black background to check for hot pixels
3) External checks for cracks, scratches
4) Flash

What else can I check?

i prefer to buy first hand stuff, since the equipment are so expensive, i would want my products to be reliable and has warranty. =)

Got the 2nd hand one... Brought 2 frens who are D80 owners along... Both agree the condition is as good as first hand... :)

How much do you got it for? Let's see whether is it really $320 off the street price (and what you think is the street price then).

dont worry too much, sometimes people do treat their cameras like babies. :)~

Status
Not open for further replies.